Confused about when to start using lotion

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

orderinthecourt

Mon May 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I read the sticky thread but it was pretty vague about this.

I got a tattoo last Saturday (half sleeve). On the care sheet, it says to wash the tattoo 3-4 times daily for the first 3 days and after the 3rd day, apply a thin layer of fragrance-free lotion. Does this mean that the first 3 days includes Saturday, so do I start using lotion on Tuesday? Or it doesn’t include Saturday and I should start using lotion on Wednesday?

Also, before I put on lotion, should I wash the tattoo with antibacterial soap? How many times a day do I put on the lotion? And is it a layer as thin as you do for the ointment?
EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Oh shit. You got the tattoo on Saturday and you havent applied lotion yet. :shock: . I'd put some lotion on as soon as possible and hope the tattoo doesnt fall off.. Good luck...
itsofficial
Hardcore

Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Honestly it really depends on how your healing, whenever your piece starts to peel is a good time to start putting lotion on. Usually I don't include the day I get a new piece, so I'd start putting lotion on wednesday, but that's just me.

You can wash it before you put the lotion on, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. And I'll usually put lotion on about 3 times a day.

Some people will probably have different things to say, but that's what works for me.
buttwheat
Hardcore

Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 pm

I stop with the ointment and start with lotion as soon as it starts to peel. As far as days goes everyone is different even parts of your body are different. My forearms will peel in a day or two but my lower legs is more like a week.
Sphenoid
Hardcore

Mon May 03, 2010 11:06 pm

It puts the lotion on before it gets the hose.
ham_samich

Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 am

Sphenoid wrote:It puts the lotion on before it gets the hose.
hahaha i liked that...
Angertank
Hardcore

Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 am

I switch from ointment to lotion after 48 hours.
I'm doing it a little bit different this time, though, to baby my ditch.
redruby

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:59 am

I come from Australia & when u get a tattoo here ur told to shower 1 hour after getting the tattoo.
Use only a mild soap or a fragerance free soap.
Once uve showered pat the tattoo dry & apply the cream.
Apply the cream at least 3 times a day until healed.
maturetattoo
Hardcore

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:25 am

orderinthecourt wrote:I read the sticky thread but it was pretty vague about this.

I got a tattoo last Saturday (half sleeve). On the care sheet, it says to wash the tattoo 3-4 times daily for the first 3 days and after the 3rd day, apply a thin layer of fragrance-free lotion. Does this mean that the first 3 days includes Saturday, so do I start using lotion on Tuesday? Or it doesn’t include Saturday and I should start using lotion on Wednesday?

Also, before I put on lotion, should I wash the tattoo with antibacterial soap? How many times a day do I put on the lotion? And is it a layer as thin as you do for the ointment?
Did your artist not speak English ?
As stated already, aftercare varies artist to artist, country to country. What seems to be common everywhere is keep it clean and very lighty moisturised. Always, always wash, preferably with a neutral pH or anti-bacterial soap before you reapply any lotions or ointments. If your artist is within travelling distance go and ask him/her.
sidelvar
Hardcore

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:13 am

maturetattoo wrote:
orderinthecourt wrote:I read the sticky thread but it was pretty vague about this.

As stated already, aftercare varies artist to artist, country to country. What seems to be common everywhere is keep it clean and very lighty moisturised. Always, always wash, preferably with a neutral pH or anti-bacterial soap before you reapply any lotions or ointments. If your artist is within travelling distance go and ask him/her.
Likelihood the OP has logged in since June - .5%

If you have not noticed the newbie has resurrected the dead threads. It's ok though, who needs to pay attention to details?
kalash
Hardcore

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Why switch from ointment to lotion?
maturetattoo
Hardcore

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:54 am

sidelvar wrote:
maturetattoo wrote:

Likelihood the OP has logged in since June - .5%

If you have not noticed the newbie has resurrected the dead threads. It's ok though, who needs to pay attention to details?
OOPS...Must pay more attention in class.
Leelaloo
Hardcore

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:26 am

On the subject of aftercare, my tattoo artist put Vaseline on my tattoo then bandaged it up.

I've since heard that you should never, ever use Vaseline or anything that goopy on a fresh tat. Why is that? Any thoughts on that?
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:44 am

More tattoos have been healed with Vasoline than McDonalds has sold burgers. Like anything else, if you goo it all up, shit will get ugly. If you wash, let it dry, and put a thin coating on(I usually let oinment sit for 10 minutes ten do a wipe off), I'm sure it will be fine.. I dont and wouldnt use vasoline, but it isnt gonna mke your tattoo disappear..

And this thread was months old...
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 am

Vaseline doesn't really let the tattoo breathe and it needs to be able to do that to heal optimally.

It also does nothing to moisturize which is the main purpose of lotion. Vaseline is a lubricant with soothing qualities and its usefulness ends when the tattooing process is completed.