Total Tattoo Aftercare:

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

Mudflower

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Is Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion okay to use on a tattoo? The first ingredient it lists is water, then white petroleum.

Thanks!
Tattude
Hardcore

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:23 am

Intensive care is fine to use. A million lotions are fine to use.
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:43 am

Tattoo Goo and Ink FIX are good if you use them correctly...clients for some reason, apply way too much with those products. A LITTLE goes a LONG way!
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 am

Amnesia180 wrote:Should I apply the wrap method?

When you say antibacterial soap... do you mean the handwash stuff you can buy that comes out as a liquid? Can I also use a shower head to apply the soap then rinse?

I use Vaseline Intensive Care - Aloe Fresh... that's okay right?>
1. Yes, I do all the time.
2. Doesn't matter, any non-scented antibacterial soap will work.
3. Yes
4. Yes, almost "any" lotion works
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 am

1sicv8 wrote:another question, isnt a&d and bacitracin for INFECTIONS? so do u really need that or can u skip that step
Skip away... Normal non-scented lotions work great. SEVERAL brands work well for tattoos.
CxCx
Verified

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:53 am

I personally never had good results when i've wrapped my tattoos. I've talked to tons of people who have had great results, but for me, perosnally, it never works.

Lately I've been using Cam's TatWax, and it's ok. It's similar to inkfixx/tattoo goo, only MUCH less greasy, and therefore won't clog the pores around your tattoo/ect. It also has a smell drives my cat nuts....ok, so maybe THAT'S not such a good thing, lol.
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:46 pm

Amnesia180 wrote:Tattude - A quick question... when my tattoos were healing - I would have lots of scabs literally falling off of my arm!! Sometimes hanging on by a thread... and then they'd just fall off... are they the "hard" scabs that shouldn't be occuring?

With the wrap... do I keep the wrap on ALL day? Or do I take it off, wash and apply lotion, then wrap again. a few hours later take wrap off, wash etc... Do that a few times a day?

What would happen if I decide to wear a tight t-shirt to cover the tattoo when wearing shirts for work etc?

I'm also going to London on Saturday (and am having some tattooing done tomorrow) which means i will be VERY limited to the amount of times (if any) i could wrap my back... should I wrap (in a mummy type style) once for the whole day?
It's ideal for the tattoo to flake off like a sunburn. Hard scabs can and do happen from time to time but shouldn't cover the whole tattoo surface. A spot here and there is normal on large tattoos but as long as you don't pull on it it'll be fine.

With the wrap method it's really up to you. You can wrap it all day and night but make sure you take it off to wash a few times a day. OR you can only wrap it when your at work, sleeping, etc... Just make sure to wash it and apply lotion when you're "not" using the wrap method.

If you wear tight clothes I would wrap it.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:08 am

I dry healed my outline for my back, and it was the fastest anything has healed for me..
freebird

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 pm

placing saran wrap on a tattoo or any plasic wrap will create a fever in the area, and what does bacteria need to grow a warm wet place with a open wound. it may work but the risk of causing an infection in a tattoo is to great if you wrap it. i know every artist has they're own mojo when it comes to healing a tattoo but alot of tattoo conventions i've been to wont allow you to "wrap " a tattoo for the health concerns. for more info here are the links.

http://tattoo.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs ... scribe.htm

http://tattoo.about.com/od/tattoosafety ... icwrap.htm

hope this helps and please stay away from the plastic....

:D :D
freebird

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:12 pm

If your using vitamin a&d ointment or a similarly thick ointment it may be your putting it on to thick or keeping the tattoo to lubricated. The tattoo must dry out a little to help the skin set up during healing. The way i tell my people is if after you rub the ointment on and you pass your finger over the tattoo of you can see a trail where your finger was its to thick. The ointment should be enough to just make a sheen to the skin not have any residual ointment on the skin. kinda like putting on skin lotion when you rub it into your hands you don't leave enough on the skin that it looks wet you rub it completely in. and yes sometimes you will get ingrown hairs and thats all it is :P
Tattude
Hardcore

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:23 am

xchick03 wrote:Why are there so many contradictions? Some people say use lotion, others say use Bacatrin and not lotion, then some say A&D instead of Bactarin.
We're not... Oitments like Bactarin, A&D, InkFIX, Tattoo GOO, etc...are fine to use for the first few days or even weeks...

Lotions are fine to use after that just to keep the tattoo looking it's best...

You can use one or the other...doesn't matter. The tattoo will heal, just some ways of doing it heal faster then others.

NOTHING is required! Except sun block on tattoos...lol
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:38 pm

It will peal, but dont help it. Just let it flake. I have been dry healing all my tats and have been having far faster healing times. Others differ. Just let it flake, dont pick it, moisturize if you want, and wash it often with water and pure ivory soap, nor fragrences or whatever, adn I dont use a washcloth or anything but my bare habd to wash it until after it has shed.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:19 am

After my 6th or 7th tattoo I totally stopped using ointment. My other tattoos I used lotion to cure look perfecto. Ointments are a big pain in the ass, all they do is make my cloths stick to my skin and i m sure it's ripping color off the tat in the end....

Lubriderm is my every day best friend.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:12 am

sadie703 wrote:i had a question about shaving.. not sure if it was posted in here or not

how long should i wait to shave my leg?? cuz its stubbly right now and its still scabby in a few places (mainly all the flowers for some reason lol) and how long should i wait for a touch up cuz i know some color came out
Wait till its done pealing and dry before you shave it. Touch up, wait till its fully healed...
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:11 am

If anyone they feel needs to be added to this thread, PM a mod and suggest it. - Thread Locked -