new to the forum need help(california bay area)

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

luka

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 am

hi, new to the forum ~hi everyone..

have a couple of questions, im sorta new to the country just immigrated here from taiwan. im located in norcal south bay now. I like japanese/traditional japanese tattoo's a lot and i did some research on the forums.
I have 1 tattoo that needs to be finished(a koi and sakura that needs shading and fill in from left shoulder to left rib cage) and a tiger that needs to be converted into a short sleeve(right chest and arm also needs a touch up and better stripes). I also would like to get a tattoo on my back and im considering something like the horiyasu tiger.

i doubt that i will be going back to taiwan for a long time...so...
I would personally choose to go to jess yen but he is located in LA(since he is taiwanese i can explain my idea to him in my first language) and i dont think i have time to go due to his 2year booked appointments and school.

Some friends recommend me to go to Pinky Yun yet i dont know if he can do wat i have in mind since there are a lot of people saying

I see on the forum the closest recommended artists would be in state of grace tattoo in san jose.
are there any suggestions places i can go around the area that would do good tattoos that you guys think it GOOD? or any traveling artists?

Also i dont really know about the pricing and how it works in the US. Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much money i will need to prepare for the 3 pieces that i want to do? i assume tattoos are expensive in the US, i dont need a exact number but a certain price range that a good art work would be done for.

Please help me out i would really like to get my tattoos done thank you guys a lot! :)
YakuzaIrezumi

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:10 pm

I can answer the money question.The way most freehand/custom/Traditional artists price is by the hour,INCLUDING research time/the time to draw it up. Low end would be 150$ an hour.High end probably 250$ an hour.So bring like 600$ for starters.Sorry to shock but Good Tattoos aren't cheap and cheap Tattoos aren't good.
luka

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:10 am

thanks for the information, it was a little bit more than i expected but i'll see what i can do about it
yodaddynukka
Hardcore

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:51 pm

pinky is OLD SCHOOL and i would recommend him but he is really old. i would suggest people like phil holt, grime, horitomo. i am going to be getting some work done from horitomo in the near future.
yorvo
Hardcore

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:16 pm

yodaddynukka wrote:pinky is OLD SCHOOL and i would recommend him but he is really old.
What do you mean he's really old? Like so old his hands don't work? With age come experience. If he can still tattoo age doesn't matter.
YakuzaIrezumi

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:12 pm

yorvo wrote:
yodaddynukka wrote:pinky is OLD SCHOOL and i would recommend him but he is really old.
What do you mean he's really old? Like so old his hands don't work? With age come experience. If he can still tattoo age doesn't matter.
Look at Horiyoshi III.He's got some silver-lining on his clouds.Yet he's in very high demand.Shit,i would rather get tattooed by an older artist for they have major hours under there belt.When things are permanent you want somone with some miles on them.
yodaddynukka
Hardcore

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:15 pm

well last time i seen him, his hands were shaking. i dunno if his hands shake when he inks tho, i just saw him when he was just chillin...
beuneek
Hardcore

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:05 pm

yorvo wrote:
Depends on what you're looking for. Pinky ain't gonna draw lines like Horitaka, Horitomo, Phil Holt, Yutaro, etc. The tradeoff is knowing that you got tattooed by one of the late and greats. Pinky's eyes light up when he hears that someone wants a dragon. That is his specialty.
YakuzaIrezumi

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:07 pm

[/quote]Pinky's eyes light up when he hears that someone wants a dragon. That is his specialty.[/quote]I will see if i can find his stuff online.I like to browse different artists that like to do something i have already.Comparison reasons.

Edit.Pinky Yun? Found him.

Re-Edit.Does his shop have a site?
yodaddynukka
Hardcore

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:37 pm

YakuzaIrezumi wrote:
Pinky's eyes light up when he hears that someone wants a dragon. That is his specialty.[/quote]I will see if i can find his stuff online.I like to browse different artists that like to do something i have already.Comparison reasons.

Edit.Pinky Yun? Found him.

Re-Edit.Does his shop have a site?[/quote]

you know, i dont think he has a site as far as i can remember...
luka

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 am

i swung by pinky's shop today and saw some of his work..it is OLD SCHOOL chinese style i believe, like a chinese gangster dragon tattoo lolz...yet i see him also having a certified japanese tattoo licence and his shop is also has lots of ed hardy art works. some of his work is great he even showed me the tattoo's done by ed hardy,which were amazing. i just really dont know if he can give me the colors, lines, and shading that i'm looking for something really japanese flavored...i should swing by state of grace tattoos and talk to some of their artists or see some of their work..see wat they say..
yodaddynukka
Hardcore

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:10 am

luka wrote:i swung by pinky's shop today and saw some of his work..it is OLD SCHOOL chinese style i believe, like a chinese gangster dragon tattoo lolz...yet i see him also having a certified japanese tattoo licence and his shop is also has lots of ed hardy art works. some of his work is great he even showed me the tattoo's done by ed hardy,which were amazing. i just really dont know if he can give me the colors, lines, and shading that i'm looking for something really japanese flavored...i should swing by state of grace tattoos and talk to some of their artists or see some of their work..see wat they say..

FYI horitomo from state of grace is the number 1 apprentice of the MASTER of all MASTER japanese tattoo OGs horiyoshi III.