Total Tattoo Aftercare:

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

Tattude
Hardcore

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:06 am

Normal Method:
Usually for smaller or standard sized tattoos and for tattoos that don't rub severely on clothing. Your new tattoo has been bandaged and it should be removed after at least four hours but can be left on up to 12 hours. It is very important that your new tattoo be protected from the sun and dirty environments, as it is a rather large open wound at this time. You should wait to remove the bandage until you can properly clean it with antibacterial soap and water. Rinse it well (until it doesn’t feel slimy anymore), pat it dry, and then allow it to air-dry before applying ointment. You should apply ointment, any of these (Tattoo Goo, InkFix, A&D or Bacitracin) regularly throughout the day, keeping the tattoo slightly moist but NOT smothered. Use just enough ointment to make the tattoo slightly shiny and blot off any excess. For the first day or two, your tattoo will require more cleaning, as it will lose fluid at first, don’t worry, this is normal. You want to make sure that moisture doesn't get trapped under the ointment (hence the air-drying) and that the tattoo doesn't stay under water either. Wash your tattoo a couple times throughout the day, using only antibacterial soap and rinsing and pat dry well. The tattoo needs to be clean but DON’T overdo it either.
You should only apply ointment for as many days as it takes for your tattoo to peel, this process will take anywhere from three days to a week, depending on your body and the area of skin. It will begin to flake like sunburn, just let this happen on its own and don't pick it. When the tattoo has fully enters the peeling phase, you need not, and should not, apply any more ointment. The area will become dry and itchy and a good hand lotion should help with this (Curel, Lubriderm).
This next part is straight from my buddies mouth:
“Here's what you should look out for. Should any "bubbling" of your tattoo occur, you should consider not applying anything for a day. This bubbling is caused from moisture (usually too much ointment!) getting trapped in your tattoo, and could lead to scabbing. If scabs develop, they can remove the color beneath them. It is very important that they are allowed to dry out completely, and not at any time get water-logged. The scab will eventually fall off on its own and your tattoo should be fine if you keep the scabs dry. Also, some people develop a small allergic reaction to Bacitracin and a few other lotions, which shows up as a red rash around the tattoo and disappears once the ointment is no longer used. A small percentage of people may develop a more serious reaction and may require medical attention so keep that in mind."

Wrap method:
It's for tattoos that are on the feet, upper thighs, or anywhere else cloths rub---
Keep the new tattoo covered over night if possible and follow the beginning directions stated above. After you wash it for the first time and let it air dry wrap the entire tattoo in plastic wrap, yes, use tape to hold it in place. Just remember, you’re going to have to wash the tattoo more then normal when wrapping it. Again, pat and air dry. Washing is key…! But, again, don’t over due it, use common since.
Keep it wrapped until you can either wash it or wear clothes that don’t rub. Anytime it isn’t wrapped apply non-petroleum based lotions like mentioned above.
You can wrap any tattoo in any location if you want; some say it helps the healing process. I AGREE! Mine heal much faster when I use this technique.
declara

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:19 pm

I'm sure you know what you're talking about Tat, but I've just used moisturizer on my latest couple. Both were big, one is not finished yet and I've done 5 sessions in total so it's been 5 time frames of just using moisturizer. They didn't scab up much at all and they look totally fine.

I do all the other things you mentioned. How important is the ointment, what am I missing out on?
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:10 am

You don't have to use A&D... ANY lotion works... Ointments usually apply better on new pieces though. The first two days I usually use an ointment and then switch to a lotion.
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:51 am

Addie wrote:Do you wait until it sheds before you switch to lotion? What are your thoughts on cocoa butter?
No, I just wait one or two days after the new tat before switching.

Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter are awesome...
Badwolf actually has a great homemade receipt that has Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Lavender oil, and bezz wax that works great...
Malik
Hardcore

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:24 pm

great advice tattitude. I've used the wrap method for all mine and they healed very fast. After about a week the skin will look and feel normal again.

I've heard that the wrap method works well because it keeps the tat moist and doesn't let it develop hard scabs. I've actually never had a tattoo scab hard expect for a couple small spots on my back.

Great post, hopefully this helps out all the "tattoo aftercare?" posters.
Addie

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:44 pm

I use a mixture of beeswax, vitamin E, comfrey root extract & Lavender oil. I only apply twice a day to a clean tat (very thin coat). I am an herbalist and these natural products work really well for me. I learned a lesson the hard way with Lubriderm (terrible rash/clogged pores) I tend to use cocoa butter after about a week. I love the way it preserves the color. Thanks for your professional opinion. :wink:
JamyCarlton
Verified

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:55 am

well tattude, I do agree with you for the most part, but I will put my 2 cents in, I don't think that using products such as tattoo goo or ink fixx or any of that other crap is necessary and frankly i think it's just a way for people to make money, I have tried it all, because i want to personally try anything on my own personal tattoos before referring them to my shops clients. As far as my own personal healing, I have two different methods depending on the type of tattoo...one is the wrap method, this i use in difficult places, like when i got my hands done, and also in really super bright color work or extreme realism pieces. I agree it works great, and i love the result, however, it can get to feeling gross after wearing saran wrap for a few days so i don't use it all the time. The second method is wearing the original bandage for a few hours, depending on the size of the piece, removing it, washing with lukewarm water and dove or ivory soap, i prefer these soaps to antibacterial because i feel they are more pure and clean, less additives and none of my tattoos have ever gotten infected so i see no need for dial. I then let air dry for 15-20 minutes and then apply curel lotion, all my tattoos are bright vivid and never touched up with this method, again just my 2 cents, but thought it might be useful nonetheless. and finally i have a question...people often say that they use cocoa butter and beeswax and stuff, this stuff is really thick and i think it's almost the same as using vaseline, how am i wrong on this? thanks!
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:03 pm

JamyCarlton wrote:people often say that they use cocoa butter and beeswax and stuff, this stuff is really thick and i think it's almost the same as using vaseline, how am i wrong on this? thanks!
I've heard many people using beeswax too for there homemade mixers but I never have used it. I have used Cocoa butter, Shea butter, and lavender oil, which is something Badwolf has used for many years. It works great. As soon as you rub it in the skin it's gone but your skin still feels moist and oil free.
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Jackie99 wrote:What can I do to protect it in the healing process?

I'm going to ask the tattoo artist when I go and get it done, but would also appreciate some opinions and advice as well.
Lower back pieces can be done with just loose clothing. I've had my ass and lower back done the same day and for the first 3 days it sucks but after that it's no big deal. LOOSE clothing is key...if you can't use the wrap method but with plastic wrap you'll sound like a walking crinkle machine. lol
Lots of people just move the pants a little lower for a few days...
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:08 pm

catgal wrote:Straight Lavender Essential Oil?
Lavender oil from a head shop. Can't remember the actually name brand. BUT, it's not used alone, it's in a mix.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:06 pm

The most basic and simple is to just take 1 ounce of shea butter (pure and in it's raw form) and add three drops of FOOD GRADE lavander oil. ('NOW' brand is what I use) The perfume type has other additives.
Just mix it thoroughly.
The stuff we have sold contains bees wax ONLY because it keeps it from liquifying when shipped.

The shea butter is agruably the best immolient in the world and contains allentoin which promotes cell regeneration. Comfrey contains it also, but in a different state...not as effective, as it must be extracted.
The lavander oil is an astringent that kills germs. It also tends to take away the itching and stinging.
Those two things are all you need. Every ingredient you add will make it more possible that a percentage of the population will have a problem with it...that's why I like this stuff...two all natural ingredients. No frills.
Doc5678

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:44 am

The area will become dry and itchy and a good hand lotion should help with this (Curel, Lubriderm).
If scabs develop, they can remove the color beneath them. It is very important that they are allowed to dry out completely, and not at any time get water-logged.
I have a question in regard to the peeling phase of healing. My colour work is about a week old and as you say, it has become sorta dry and itchy so I was thinking about putting some hand lotion on it, however there are small patches where the skin feels more scab-like but only one or two very small spots. Should I apply some hand lotion to the whole area anyway, to improve the dryness and itching or would I be best to avoid this due to the minor scabbing that has occurred?
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:14 am

Apply lotion to the whole tattoo... Minor scabbing isn't going to matter. If the scabs start to ozz then it's not minor and avoid putting anything on it for a while.
Tattude
Hardcore

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am

Just because your artist say's something, doesn't make it right.
Bepanthen nappy rash cream is for baby's asses after they shit or piss themselves. It's to reduce the chances of rash. It has alcohol and petroleum among other things I'm sure in it. Can it work? Sure but so does not applying ANYTHING and just washing it regularly.
A million other lotions are better for tattoos.
BadWolf
Verified

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:41 pm

You can use the shea butter from now until you die. It will not only heal the tattoo completely, but will keep your skin healthy forever.