Wanting work done in tampa

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

gatorsmash

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey yall, ive been out for a while i know....

im looking to get some work done in tampa, nothing really major, kind of my own idea, not sure of placement yet if im going forearm or ribs....

my question in where are some good places in tampa? I know mike parsons is supposed to be amazing but i doubt id be able to get in with him in any timely manner. Is the studio he is based out of las vegas tattoos any good?
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:14 pm

tell me what kind of work and i'll tell you what shop.
gatorsmash

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 pm

what im thinking of is a robot that has a computer monitor or monitor as a head in a tattered bussniess suit, with wings on the back flying upwards, but i want to be stencil styled. (black in white cutout).
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Okay, well before I get to the shops, I would suggest maybe reconsidering. I've seen a lot of Banksy's stencil cutout work tattooed and it honestly looks very bad. You have a great idea, and a good new school artist could do wonders with it.

There's a great shop I just found out about called Oddity Tattoo. It's in Bradenton, which isn't very far from Tampa at all, and there are at least two artists there that would do wonders with your idea. Travis and Scott. They both have some great pieces, but I'm partial to Travis.

As far as Tampa shops that aren't Mike Parsons, I'd hit up Mean Machine on Dale Mabry. Most of the guys there are pretty talented, but maybe not sure if the styles will mesh.
gatorsmash

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:18 am

I know the tattoo you are talking of, the guy in the suit with the CTV camera as his head but that wasnt exactly what i was going for,...

so do you think a good new school artist would be able to pull off something looking nice? I would go to who i had do my origonal work back home but its just too far.
gatorsmash

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:21 am

Also, placement is a issue. Right now i have the top part of my upper arm done (wraps just to the crest of my bicep and just to the crest under my arm) i want to finish the sleeve but im not sure with what.....what i was thinking as far as placement would be on my forearm or on the left side of my chest....if i didnt turn this tattoo into a full piece on my lower arm and had a different themed done on the top do you think i would be able to get it to mesh well?

i lurked the oddity site, and wow. Travis' stuff is awesome, but Scotts stuff is RIDICULOUS, thanks a bunch dude....hey are you from around here?
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:58 pm

you can mix different themes. the skill of the artist will determine how well it flows. i'd trust those guys.

and i've never been to oddity, but i am considering it. and yes, i live in downtown st pete.
gatorsmash

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:01 am

I live in new tampa, around bruce b downs and 75. I tried riding to st pete the other day but ended up getting lost in dunedin and just headed home.

is there anything out there? New tampa is super boring.

Where do you get your work done if not oddity? mean machine?
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:30 am

Right now, I'm working with Paul Acker in Philly (I fly back to my hometown, where my mom still lives) and Gunnar. Gunnar does guest spots at a shop in Dunedin.

I've met the Mean Machine guys at TattooFest and I liked Greu's work a lot, but it's similar enough to Paul's that I don't have reason to switch. I like the guys at Mom's in Dunedin, but they do mostly traditional and neo-traditional work, which is not what you want.

It shouldn't be too hard to get to Bradenton. You can take I-275 All the way down, I believe, although I-75 will probably get you there, too. Dunedin/Clearwater area is super confusing as far as how they have their highways laid out, so you're not alone in that one.
gatorsmash

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:40 pm

yea i was headed to downtown dunedin to meet my stepdad for dinner, almost ran out of gas on the bike because it was so confusing with all the detours. time for a GPS.