Apprenticeships

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

Roxieee

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 am

Well, this is my first post so I guess I should say a big 'Hello!' (:

Okay so, I'm 17 years old and I am currently doing an Art and Design BTEC at South Cheshire College. I completed my art GCSE a year early and continued on to complete an AS level in art in my final year at school

I have a passion for art - art is my life - you will never see me without a pencil/paintbrush in my hand or a camera to capture a moment of beauty. I love everything about it and I really really want to get into the tattooing industry. I want to learn how to turn the human form into a work of art and I want to learn how to do it properly.

As I understand I will have to learn how to do this via a professional - I don't want to attempt the ride by myself purely because I know of the dangers and I don't want to end up making
any mistakes which I know in the end I will regret - so here's the thing:

How do I go about getting myself an apprenticeship with a good, respectable artist that follows good hygienic practice (as I have seen some do not!)? Do you have any tips/advice? ..Is there an age you must be before you can get an apprenticeship in this industry - my guess is 18?

I got my first tattoo when I was sixteen and I have just got another a few weeks ago which I designed myself - I spoke to my tattooist about apprenticeships and he told me that he had recently taken a girl on - I was advised to go to as many conventions as possible and gain as much knowledge as possible which I intend on acting upon.

Could anyone please help me?
Thanks alot guys. x

(not sure if this is in the right place - sorry!)
Freddie
Hardcore

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:26 pm

There's a sticky about this. I wrote a pretty detailed piece about what I thought was the best way to go about it. I think it's in the "Tattoos" sub-forum. Check it out, it could potentially answer a pile of questions you have.
Gloom
Hardcore

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40 pm

:stickies: lol
Roxieee

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Cheers guys - I just took a long read and did find it very useful thanks :)

However, as I am only 17 do you guys have any advice as to what I can do in the mean time before going on the hunt for a decent artist who is willing to take me under their wing? Obviously I will continue to draw, paint, etc, everyday as I always do but is there anything more I can do?

I have seen many of my friends buy tattoo machines or make their own 'machines' and 'tattoo' people that I know (infact most of my friends have some sort of DIY tattoo of some description) and they have turned out absolutely shocking. In some cases I've been actually been asked to tattoo my friends but I really dont want to get into doing this as I don't think it's the right way and told them no. I think if I did do this then maybe I'd be hungry to do more aswell, i dont know, but what I do know is I don't want to be pushing Hep C around so I think I'll give this option a miss...I want to become a tattoo artist because I love and have a passion for art and tattoos, not to get a cheap thrill out of preforming a crappy and potentially life threating act on a mate

Do you think that its a good idea to travel/move away from home to work with a 'better' artist or will i be able to learn just as well with somebody who isn't..i dont really know how to say this..somebody who's artistic talents are not at as high of a standard? lol..I really don't intend to sound offensive here but do you know where I'm coming from. Also, I may not be able to get an apprenticeship with an artist of such a high standard..

I was looking into buying tickets for a tattoo convention in Liverpool and was wondering if many of the artists at these kind of things are usually willing to offer good, friendly advice about breaking into the business. My local tattoo artist told me to try and talk to as many artist as I can and ask them about the trade but so far I'm not having much luck, not many people want to let me into their world - I really hope I'll get there in the end!

xxxx
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 pm

Roxieee wrote:Cheers guys - I just took a long read and did find it very useful thanks :)

However, as I am only 17 do you guys have any advice as to what I can do in the mean time before going on the hunt for a decent artist who is willing to take me under their wing? Obviously I will continue to draw, paint, etc, everyday as I always do but is there anything more I can do?

You said earlier that you love art, but that isnt the same as loving tattoos. Lets take a example. Jason Anderson (www.myspace.com/jasonandersontattoo) worked as a shop guy for 4 years before even starting a Apprenticeship. His art and tattoos pretty much reflect the LOVE for tattooing. Because tattooing isnt the same as doing art. It has more stricker rules as you are doing something that is on that person for the rest of his life. There really isnt room for ego's.

If you want it, then get tattooed as much as you can. Get sleeves, your legs tattooed. Chest, back, the works. Live it and then by doing that, if you still have the passion, you mabe will get a Apprenticeship.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Here is a simple test. I will ask you questions and lets see how much you love tattooing :D

Who of the following is a world famous tattoo artist

1.) Ed Hardy

2.) Troy Aikman

3. Jack Nicholson

Japanese hand poking tattooing is called

1.) Nizero

2.) Horiyoshi

3. Tebori

Flash means

1.) Getting tattooed by a fast tattooer

2.) Ready made tattoo images

3.) Another word for tattoo machine
Roxieee

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:37 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:Here is a simple test. I will ask you questions and lets see how much you love tattooing :D

Who of the following is a world famous tattoo artist

1.) Ed Hardy

2.) Troy Aikman

3. Jack Nicholson

Japanese hand poking tattooing is called

1.) Nizero

2.) Horiyoshi

3. Tebori

Flash means

1.) Getting tattooed by a fast tattooer

2.) Ready made tattoo images

3.) Another word for tattoo machine
Okay,
1) Ed Hardy is an internationally known tattoo artist from cali (I actually have an ed hardy jacket which i loveee!:))
2)Tebori
and
3) flash is the ready drawn tattoo images that you will see in almost any tattoo shop you go in around here - usually purely for convinience (Sp?). I think i'd much prefer to create custom work myself however, I guess it's purely up to the client what they want tattooed... :D

xxx
Roxieee

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:48 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:
Roxieee wrote:Cheers guys - I just took a long read and did find it very useful thanks :)

..Because tattooing isnt the same as doing art. It has more stricker rules as you are doing something that is on that person for the rest of his life. There really isnt room for ego's.

Yes I do understand that :) I think thats what I find so attractive about it - thats the beauty of it - its permenant, it cant be erased, it's there forever. I kinda like the thought of that - the fact that you will have to put your heart and soul into doing that tattoo because at the end of the day when a client comes to you they are in a way putting their life and their body in your hands - theres got to be alot of trust and youve got to reward them for putting their trust into you. I like things to be perfect - i'll take alot of time and effort over something to make sure that its perfect and thats what i want to do. Create perfect, permenant art.

And as for getting tattooed - I already have two pretty big tattoos that fill each of my sides, going down my ribs and ending at the bottom of my hip (one of which I designed myself) and I'm looking into getting a half sleeve or the top of my leg tattooed sometime soon. I guess you do have to live it, love it, learn it - thats what I want to do and hopefully be successful :) xxxx
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:31 am

Check out this article

http://www.inkedmag.com/articles/detail ... pprentice/

Then to that ad 100+ swears words, a couple of death threaths and sorrow :D
Roxieee

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:03 am

I think I can more than handle that :)
I don't mind scrubbing toilets or being humiliated or even victimized if it gets me where I want to be - I can take it. I'm an extremely determid and head stong person, I have a hell of alot of drive, more than most people I know and if thats what it takes then thats the way it'll have to be :)

anddd, thankyou for that article :) The bit at the end about putting together a portfolio could come in handy. xxxx
Rufus08
Hardcore

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 am

Hard work and humiliation is one thing...but never allow yourself to be victimized. You seem much smarter than that.
Roxieee

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Rufus08 wrote:Hard work and humiliation is one thing...but never allow yourself to be victimized. You seem much smarter than that.
I guess so, Rufus (and thankyou! :)). But I believe that sometimes you just gotta take whatever it is life has to throw at you - you'll come out a much stronger person in the end. I've been there and learnt that lesson in life already. Yes, I'm smarter than to listen to peoples potentially hurtful comments or to ignore their actions however I'm not smart enough to refrain myself from victimization - I don't think anybody has that ability. I guess if it's thrown at you then at that point in time your given no other option but to take it, yes, you can defend yourself, you have freedom of speech and opinion- everybody does, however, I guess other than that ther is nothing you can do...I don't know...I'm just the kind of girl that when I fall in love with something I will hold onto it so tight and won't let go - I'll fight for it until the bitter end. I'm not letting go of this and I will fight for it until I achieve my goals. I want to be successfull with my art and successfull in the tattooing industry, that's all I've wanted for a very long time now :) xxxxx
Roxieee

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Okay, so heres the deal: my tattoo artist has just informed me that his apprentice has changed her mind about wanting to become a tattoo artist herself and he has therefore told me that if I was still interested in getting involved in the business to take some of my work down to his shop - if i make the grade then he is willing to take me under his wing once I have finnished this year at college.

However, I will still only be 17 at this point in time. I believe that over here you can get a tattooing apprenticeship at the age of 17 but you cannot tattoo until you are 18 (please correct me if I am wrong :)) - my issue is that he is obviously going to find out that I got tattooed by him whilst I was underage (he thought that I was 19).

I believe that the fact that I had lied to him about my age may ruin my chances of his acceptance. I also feel that a tattoo artist must have alot of trust in their apprentice in order for them to build up a good relationship, etc.

...The main reason I did get tattooed when I was underage was mainly so that I could talk to a tattoo artist and get there advice and tips on how to go about breaking into the industry, ask questions about how he got where he is today, about designing flash, etc, all of which I was able to do. He is always very helpful towards me and frequently offers advice on how to improve my drawings and informs me about different artists who's work I could take a look at..

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can/should do here - what would you do in this situation? Do you think I've ruined my chancess? I really hope not! :(
BadTaste
Verified

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Tell him the truth. I got tattooed underage by a guy that was later one of my mentors. Explain the whole situation (you being 17 when you start wont be a problem coz it should be a long time before you touch a machine anyway) If he decides not to take you on fair enough. But if he's who you want to learn from still visit, help out where you can and generally show your keen. He may come around in the end and its better than trying to keep up a lie. You never know, maybe he'll understand and take you on anyway.
Roxieee

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks BadTaste, I think youre right. Honesty is the best policy :wink: I guess he will probably respect me more for telling the truth.. :)