heavy bruising normal?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Gloom
Hardcore

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 am

Hey guys,

as most of you know I recently got my underarm filled in. For the past 3-4 days (since having gotten the work done), I've had some pretty bad bruising: purple and red spots in a yellow wash.

I've had slight bruising before with my other tattoo but it looks like the surface area of the yellow bruising around my new tattoo keeps growing. It's not turning brighter yellow, and the red and purple are fading, but the yellow is spreading out even like a good 1/2" up to 1" off the edge of my tattoo in some spots.

Is this normal? or should I be alarmed. I would post pics but I'm at work and don't have access to a camera. Has anyone else experienced this? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks
Gloom
Hardcore

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 pm

I just did a search and it seems like everyone's experienced some bad discoloration/bruising on the inner arm. You can close this thread as I already got the info I needed. Sorry for asking a question that's been addressed a million times before.
Freddie
Hardcore

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Do you bruise easily in general?

Heavy bruising does sound a bit odd. That said, I've had instances where I've had clients aquire a bit of bruising. Generally, they've informed me that they bruse easily in general, and it typically happen in "soft, tender areas" (i.e inside of the arm, collarbone area, pelvic area, etc.).

In any case, I wouldn't freak out too much yet. You got a piece in the crook of your elbow, so some bruising is definitely normal. It really shouldn't effect the healing time of the tattoo. That said, if it still looks this way 4-7 days from now, I'd get slightly concerned.
Gloom
Hardcore

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 pm

the weird thing is I don't normally bruise easily at all actually, but my arm has suffered a lot of trauma over the past 2 weeks (part of why I was scared something was wrong.) It doesn't hurt it's just very discolored to the point of mild concern. I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes, It looks like it already cleared up towards the bottom of the tattoo so I'll take that as a good sign
dreamer5
Hardcore

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 pm

i had the most incredible bruising on my inner arm when i had the leaves added to my butterfly....it didn't hurt or anything but it looked horrible...it was deep purple for days...i called the shop when my sister wouldn't stop freaking out about it... :lol: ....they said it was pretty normal for the inner arm to bruise and if it didn't hurt, then i shouldn't be worried about it...that was the only time i had any bruising happen....if yours is starting to fade, i wouldn't be too concerned about it...but keep an eye on it since, like you said, you've had added trauma to your arm lately....btw, how's the arm feeling??
LLLady
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:40 am

I bruise really easy due to some meds I take
and I didn't get any bruising on any part of my arm
but it hurt like hell in that area
green_girl
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 am

I bruise easy. But not all my tattoos get bruises. Ooohh my rib did. You could see it extending past the edges of the tattoo. I think it was also the one I was most nervous for, and clenched my muscles the most. Mostly though, the longer I sit, the more I bruise.
Gloom
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. The yellow faded even more between yesterday and today so I feel relieved.

Dreamer, the arm is doing ok, it's raining and I am definitely feeling the pressure in my wrist. It doesn't hurt me that much, save for morning. For some reason when I wake up, my wrist is very sore, like I've been working it out in my sleep or something lol
flyingsumo
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Glad to hear it bro. I wanted to respond to this post when you first posted it, but I have no tats in that area so I couldnt speak from experience
buttwheat
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Sounds like you got the AIDS to me :wink:
sidelvar
Hardcore

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:34 am

just a thought, I found that when I severed a tendon in my hand and had to have a brace I slept better if I set my arm on my nightstand and slept on the edge of my bed. For some reason it kept me from moving throughout the night and kept me from messing my hand up too bad.