New Tatt - Massive Foot Swelling

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Jase71
Hardcore

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:47 pm

I have recently had a tattoo completed on my lower leg between the knee and the ankle, that took approx 18 hours and was done over three consecutive days.

Yesterday, the second day after completion, my foot started to massivly swell, and I had to take an 8 hour flight that probably didnt help. Last night I elevated my foot for a few hours, and this morning the swelling had reduced (although by no means disappeared). Now today as I sit at my desk at work, it's once again blown out so much that I cant even see my ankle bones ! This is somewhat concerning, and I wonder if this is a normal reaction to the body being under so much stress (ie the 3 day session) and is there something that a doctor might prescribe for me, or should I just wait it out for a few days.

On another note, the tattooed area stings/burns/tingles badly whenever I start walking after laying or sitting for some time. So much so that it takes me a minute just to be able to walk - although I assume this is simply because of the large amount of recovering sking being tight & taut around the calf muscles.

I am also three days into a five day antibiotics program also, in the event that this is a sign of infection.
Gloom
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 am

sounds quite normal to me. there's usually swelling involved with large pieces and long sessions, especially in more tender areas like your foot/ankle. If it's still there after another 5-7 days I would go to a dr. About the possibility of an infection: unless it's like oozing puss and red and itchy and super irritated I wouldn't worry about it.
ThisIsWhatWeDo
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:03 am

You're on antibiotics just IN CASE it's an infection???

Do you not realize how dangerous and irresponsible that is?

Jesus Christ people don't understand anything anymore...
I would go get some probiotics real quick and start taking those.

Be kind to your body. Don't abuse it. Take a day or two off from work and keep off your foot, don't dose yourself up on antibiotics.
I hope you feel better.
spidaminida
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:23 am

I don't understand how dangerous and irresponsible it is?
*ducks*
No, really! Why?
NikiTheo

Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:51 pm

I just got a tattoo on the top of my right foot on Friday night (it's Wed afternoon now). My foot swelled a bit the next day and has been getting fatter and fatter as the days have gone by... I have no pain, other than my shoe squeezing my poor fat foot... No itchiness, no bad or abnormal scabbing, nothing. I was told NOT to take an antibiotic unless there is a confirmed infection. The problem with taking an antibiotic is that it will kill all bacteria, including the healthy bacteria we all need in our systems to fight off other infections! So stop it!!!
Prop your foot up, don't walk too much, ice it (not directly on the tattoo) and drink tons and tons of water to flush out the toxins. The toxins in your body will gather in that area due to recent "trauma" I spoke to my tattoo artist and two doctors (internist and podiatrist) who all told me the same thing. I also spoke to a few other people who have had tattoos on their foot/ankle area and have taken the regular Benadryl and it also helps w/ the swelling.
Jase71
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:07 pm

ThisIsWhatWeDo wrote:You're on antibiotics just IN CASE it's an infection???

Hmmm, so this is what the artist suggested, and I should point out that I went to a Doctor yesterday and he also suggested an antibiotic program (claims I was referred the wrong one by the pharmacist!). Mind you, he also wants me to have scans for fear of blood clot, which to me sounds pretty fucking stupid. I think he cant get it out of his head that I just returned from an air flight and suspects DVT, despite me making it perfectly clear several times that it was swollen BEFORE boarding.

Personally, I think I'll wait it out a few more days before doing or taking anything. I cannot get the time off work (have been gone for three weeks already) so all I can do it try and raise the foot a bit while Im sitting at my desk
ThisIsWhatWeDo
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Jase71 wrote:
ThisIsWhatWeDo wrote:You're on antibiotics just IN CASE it's an infection???

Hmmm, so this is what the artist suggested, and I should point out that I went to a Doctor yesterday and he also suggested an antibiotic program (claims I was referred the wrong one by the pharmacist!). Mind you, he also wants me to have scans for fear of blood clot, which to me sounds pretty fucking stupid. I think he cant get it out of his head that I just returned from an air flight and suspects DVT, despite me making it perfectly clear several times that it was swollen BEFORE boarding.

Personally, I think I'll wait it out a few more days before doing or taking anything. I cannot get the time off work (have been gone for three weeks already) so all I can do it try and raise the foot a bit while Im sitting at my desk
For you and spidaminida and whoever else interested: http://www.environmentalhealththreats.c ... ones.shtml
Short and to-the-point article about hormones and antibiotics in our food supply.

I didn't realize it was a secret around this board that Americans vastly abuse antibiotics. We ingest them every day whether it's through the food we eat (new studies now show that antibiotics are even present in our soil, even organic farming soil, due to using manure from animals fed antibiotic-laced food) to our medicine, even our water has traces of antibiotics.
We are constantly building up resistances to antibiotics we're given for infections, hence why we keep coming out with newer, stronger forms, that newer, stronger bacteria grow immune to. There is a very real threat of antibiotic resistant bacteria forming----look at the STAPH infections now. Incredibly resistant bacteria, because of our proliferant use of antibiotics.

Other risks from using antibiotics is a depletion in healthy gut flora. Antibiotics kill our good bacteria not just the bad, so there is greater occurance of yeast problems in people, fungal infections, UTI's, IBS, constipation or diahrea, mal-absorption of food, all problems with not having enough healthy bacteria in our digestive tract.
I think most people should be taking probiotics all the time, even just to be safe.... our digestive tract is incredibly important yet we abuse it constantly.

Erm, so yeah, if you do have an infection, there are healthier alternatives out there to the doctor's lame response to put you on drugs (which, is their job really...to prescribe drugs for all of us). There are natural forms of antibiotics, Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) being a very good and strong one. It's UNBELIEVABLY powerful...look it up. There's also garlic, great for infections, black walnut extract, Coptis chinensis, Oregon grape extract...hahah. If you want anymore PM me. These are antibacterial and anti-fungal plant extracts that can and should wipe out infection in a healthy human.

I was getting recurrent UTI's and was on a string of antibiotics, kept coming back, since i've used things other than antibiotics i've not gotten another one...

Sorry that was very long, but to me very important.
Ta.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 pm

:nopics:
Jase71
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 pm

I would typically agree with you and would steer clear of antibiotics on any other occasion, with the idea that Im likely to knock my immune system out or help add to the rise of a worldwide 'superbug'. But in this case I took the advise of the artist (and I'll say it before someone rips into me, no he is not a qualified medical practitioner). I was in a pretty dirty city at the time as well (was in Kuala Lumpur, just returned on Tuesday). Your post yesterday made me reconsider, and I've stopped the AB program, because really apart from some fairly bad stinging and the massive swollen foot (which goes down overnight, and blows up again in the day), the actual art is not oozing tons of pus or other unidentified fluid, so I'll keep the aftercare regime going, keep the foot raised when Im chilling out after work, and wait a few more days for the swelling to go down (and the tightness/stinging etc to subside).

As for pics, Reefdiver, do you mean the foot ? because the tattoo itself isnt pretty while it's healing and scabby :)
reefdiver
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:16 pm

dude.....don't stop the antibiotics now, you have to follow the regime.....you're probably going to need them to keep your foot......

i wanted to see the leg..............tattoo, scabs and all.............
Jase71
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:19 pm

reefdiver wrote:dude.....don't stop the antibiotics now, you have to follow the regime.....you're probably going to need them to keep your foot......

i wanted to see the leg..............tattoo, scabs and all.............
tell ya what, I'll post a pic of the stump once my foot falls off if that floats your boat, Reefdiver. Although after getting some bone-rattling work done on my ankle bone protrusion, I would me totally pissed to lose that section of the leg.

Spida can post one of the studio completion shots if she wishes, but Im not taking one of this peeling bastard as it is right now !
dan_T_jones
Hardcore

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:29 pm

ThisIsWhatWeDo wrote: For you and spidaminida and whoever else interested: http://www.environmentalhealththreats.c ... ones.shtml
Short and to-the-point article about hormones and antibiotics in our food supply.

I didn't realize it was a secret around this board that Americans vastly abuse antibiotics. We ingest them every day whether it's through the food we eat (new studies now show that antibiotics are even present in our soil, even organic farming soil, due to using manure from animals fed antibiotic-laced food) to our medicine, even our water has traces of antibiotics.
We are constantly building up resistances to antibiotics we're given for infections, hence why we keep coming out with newer, stronger forms, that newer, stronger bacteria grow immune to. There is a very real threat of antibiotic resistant bacteria forming----look at the STAPH infections now. Incredibly resistant bacteria, because of our proliferant use of antibiotics.

Other risks from using antibiotics is a depletion in healthy gut flora. Antibiotics kill our good bacteria not just the bad, so there is greater occurance of yeast problems in people, fungal infections, UTI's, IBS, constipation or diahrea, mal-absorption of food, all problems with not having enough healthy bacteria in our digestive tract.
I think most people should be taking probiotics all the time, even just to be safe.... our digestive tract is incredibly important yet we abuse it constantly.

Erm, so yeah, if you do have an infection, there are healthier alternatives out there to the doctor's lame response to put you on drugs (which, is their job really...to prescribe drugs for all of us). There are natural forms of antibiotics, Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) being a very good and strong one. It's UNBELIEVABLY powerful...look it up. There's also garlic, great for infections, black walnut extract, Coptis chinensis, Oregon grape extract...hahah. If you want anymore PM me. These are antibacterial and anti-fungal plant extracts that can and should wipe out infection in a healthy human.

I was getting recurrent UTI's and was on a string of antibiotics, kept coming back, since i've used things other than antibiotics i've not gotten another one...

Sorry that was very long, but to me very important.
Ta.
Fuck! *glares at chicken salad sandwich* lol Seriously though I somewhat agree with you in this. Kids are doped up to their eyes in antibiotics which leads to their immune systems never properly gaining the antibodies needed to fight off future infection. These kids grow up to be weaklings who get knocked out by the cold/flu, which basically leads them to getting seasonal vaccinations thereby depending on pharmaceuticals for the rest of their lives
sidelvar
Hardcore

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:17 am

TIWWD, No matter what you do your going to ingest shit thats awful for you. Tough shit, when I feel like im getting sick should I not take extra zinc, cough/medicine. Tell you this much I sure as hell am not waiting till I'm sitting on the shitter with diarrhea and the pukes.
Rufus08
Hardcore

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 am

To Jase71...getting a blood clot after a plane flight is very common. Blood clots can occur after a period of long sitting...especially combined with recent trauma (fresh tattoo). Don't dismiss what the doc has to say...there must be something he is seeing that makes him want to rule out a clot. Clots can break loose and kill you.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:45 am

sidelvar wrote:TIWWD, No matter what you do your going to ingest shit thats awful for you. Tough shit, when I feel like im getting sick should I not take extra zinc, cough/medicine. Tell you this much I sure as hell am not waiting till I'm sitting on the shitter with diarrhea and the pukes.
TIWWD is a pretentious fucktard. She heard somewhere that people take or give their kids too many anti-biotics and strains become immune to them, and now feels the need to spout off like she knows shit about anything whenever she gets the chance. Yes, kids are over prescribed anti-biotics and this does make for a bad situation, but if the dude really feels he may have an infection, taking a regimen of anti-biotics in this instance isn't going to kill him Dr. Google... Shut the fuck up already..