Tattoo Idea (with sketch)

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

kevgnar

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Alright, my 18th birthday is coming up. I feel like Im mature enough to decide and get a tattoo that im not going to regret in the future.

So here is a rough sketch that I want to take into the artist, Im thinking about going to Danny Reed in Asheville, NC, when I go.

Incase there's any questions, its a North Carolina outline. The banner doesnt have anything written it yet. Im still undecided, and wouldnt mind suggestions, and the flower is supposed to look like a dogwood.

I want it to have somewhat of a oldschool style. So any comments would be super appreciated.
magnumman
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:05 pm

The sketch looks pretty decent. Seems a little weird that you know you want to add a banner but don't know what to write in it. Not sure how we can help you there since you really gave us nothing to start with. Wht did you have in mind? Is the banner really necessary, what are you trying to convey, what is the significance of the state tattoo?
kevgnar

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:14 pm

I had a few things in mind when i sketched. By the way, thanks for saying it was decent. A couple things i wanted it to say were "For my Family" "Live to Burn" "Born and Raised" "Live to Ride" yet I feel unsatisfied with all of those.

And for the other questions, the significance is that my whole family is from up north. But they moved to NC and I was born down here. So im pretty much the only southern person. and i feel like it shows. I hate the north. haha. I hate the feel, and the accents. I feel like the southern vibe is much better. the dogwood's the state flower of NC so I just put that in there because I feel like it pulls together the drawing aesthetically. Mainly, I just wanna convey my love for North Carolina and the mountain region where I live. and possibly with the banner I want to have something, a saying, that means a lot to me. words of wisdom or something to live by. which I know is dumb to ask complete strangers to come up with. haha
deathandoreos
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:32 pm

in the banner put "made in america!"
magnumman
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Well, I'm from the north (CT) and feel offended so I no longer have any interest in your tattoo idea :lol:. With your explanation I don't really like any of your banner suggestions either and don't see how "live to ride" or live to burn" applies at all. Of course you could always copy the license plate and go with "first in flight". I don't know, keep thinking about it or stick with just the imagery and ditch the banner altogether. Stay patient.
yorvo
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:56 pm

"Orville & Wilbur"
kevgnar

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:31 pm

magnumman wrote:Well, I'm from the north (CT) and feel offended so I no longer have any interest in your tattoo idea :lol:. With your explanation I don't really like any of your banner suggestions either and don't see how "live to ride" or live to burn" applies at all. Of course you could always copy the license plate and go with "first in flight". I don't know, keep thinking about it or stick with just the imagery and ditch the banner altogether. Stay patient.
haha. a thousand pardons. dont take it personally. its not a hate, i just dont have any interest in my northern side. and live to ride and live to burn dont have anything to do with the North Carolina side of the tattoo, I guess im trying to incorporate to many things into one tattoo. thanks for the serious suggestions though, i guess i just want it to be more than JUST a north carolina tattoo
hops523

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:32 pm

You could put your last name, your parents names, area code, city you grew up in. Not really sayings, but I know nothing about north carolina, so that's all I can think of.
kevgnar

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:55 pm

hops523 wrote:You could put your last name, your parents names, area code, city you grew up in. Not really sayings, but I know nothing about north carolina, so that's all I can think of.
thanks for trying but ill pass on all that.
threesixafix
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:57 pm

pass on the whole design...
Angertank
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 pm

"Live to burn"? :?:
kevgnar

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:28 pm

threesixafix wrote:pass on the whole design...
why do you say that?
threesixafix
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 pm

kevgnar wrote:
threesixafix wrote:pass on the whole design...
why do you say that?
Its looks like a sign for when you're enterting the state with the state flower and banner and all. I got a small state of Louisiana on my arm when I was 18 that I now regret. If you have to go with the state, do a big peice, big enough where you can fill it in with all different kinds of stuff relating to N. Carolina. Thats what I was gonna do, but changed my mind.
kevgnar

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:39 pm

hmmm, i can for sure see what you mean. ive still got a few months before Im of legal age and I plan on thinking about this until im positive i want it. but thanks anyway
Aera
Hardcore

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 pm

i visit NC a lot its a pretty dece state, would you have colors and shading for the state part of the tattoo?