Problems with Tattoo Healing

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

AnaClaire

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Five and a half weeks ago, I got a bigger size tattoo on my lower left leg, and it is still not healed. My artist told me to put a thin coat of Aquaphor on it and wash it once a day. A few areas of my new tattoo have a thick skin-type of scab that won't fall off or heal. It's not infected at all. Also, my tattoo has been very itchy and my skin is sometimes raised. Right now, my entire tattoo has a thick waxy, cloudy skin over it. Little pieces have started to slowly peel away, but the new skin under that, gets cloudy, thick and waxy looking again right away.

This is my first tattoo and I don't kow if this is normal or not. I have contacted my artist and he keeps telling me to just keep putting Aquaphor on it and that it is just having a difficult time healing. I also tried to get an appointment at the doctors office but can't get in for at least 3 weeks because my tattoo is not infected and it is not an emergency situation.

Does anyone know if this thick, waxy & cloudy skin over my tattoo is normal and if it will eventually go away, and possibly how long it will take? Is there anything besides Aquaphor that will help finally heal my new tattoo? It seems like 5 1/2 weeks is a long time for this tattoo to still not be healed and I'm starting to feel like it is never going to heal. Any suggestions???
kjd2121
Hardcore

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 pm

I believe you should only use Aquaphor for 2-3 days. Then use a scentless hand lotion several times a day. You probably need to let that puppy breath. Aquaphor is blocking all the pores.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:08 pm

5 and a half weeks is a ridiculously long time. Post a pic?
AnaClaire

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:01 pm

My digital camera is at the shop right now being repaired and I should have it back hopefully by the end of the week. Wish I had it now and could take a picture and post what it looks like - it's not a pretty sight right now.

This is my first tattoo, so I really don't know what I should do to help it finally heal. From what everyone has told me, 5 1/2 weeks is a long time for it not to be healed at all. :cry:
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:31 pm

AnaClaire wrote:My digital camera is at the shop right now being repaired and I should have it back hopefully by the end of the week. Wish I had it now and could take a picture and post what it looks like - it's not a pretty sight right now.

This is my first tattoo, so I really don't know what I should do to help it finally heal. From what everyone has told me, 5 1/2 weeks is a long time for it not to be healed at all. :cry:
Do you have a camera phone? (Everybody does, so you must too :o ) If not, a friend's camera or camera phone? I'm really curious to see this. Tattoos should be pretty much fully healed after 2 weeks. Find a way to post photos now! :)

Also, if it were me, I'd stop putting anything on it and just leave it alone the best I can.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Stop putting shit on it. Wash with Ivory soap, Air dry. Out some non-scented lotion on once every other day. You're soaking it, and its scabbing. Less is more with aftercare. Let it dry out. Dont pick.
Gloom
Hardcore

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 am

yeah sounds just like you got some heavy scabbing. to echo jay just leave it alone, keep it clean, maybe use a thin coat of lotion once or twice a day. it should look fine in about a month or so if you keep off it
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:25 am

Gloom wrote:yeah sounds just like you got some heavy scabbing. to echo jay just leave it alone, keep it clean, maybe use a thin coat of lotion once or twice a day. it should look fine in about a month or so if you keep off it
I would vote against lotion still. And seriously, 5 and a half weeks is waaaay too long for her to still have scabs. Either she's picking at it incessantly or she's presenting the situation wrong.
maturetattoo
Hardcore

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:10 am

Way too long for healing. Take note of the advice and let it breath. Do you wear tights (panty hose) ? Leave the skin bare and keep it clean and dry. If it's not infected, and you say it isn't, it should be O.K.
Gloom
Hardcore

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 pm

kohlhaas wrote:
Gloom wrote:yeah sounds just like you got some heavy scabbing. to echo jay just leave it alone, keep it clean, maybe use a thin coat of lotion once or twice a day. it should look fine in about a month or so if you keep off it
I would vote against lotion still. And seriously, 5 and a half weeks is waaaay too long for her to still have scabs. Either she's picking at it incessantly or she's presenting the situation wrong.
if she had thick scabs and pulled them off i would say that 5 weeks later she could still have the grey cloudy/waxy/bubbly skin that she is speaking of. especially if the tattoo is heavy blackwork. But it does sound odd
yorvo
Hardcore

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Aquafor and A&D prolong healing.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Gloom wrote:
kohlhaas wrote:
if she had thick scabs and pulled them off i would say that 5 weeks later she could still have the grey cloudy/waxy/bubbly skin that she is speaking of. especially if the tattoo is heavy blackwork. But it does sound odd
Sounds odder that her artist is telling her it's normal and is encouraging her to keep using crap on it. :\ If she were my client, I'd be concerned (based, of course, off of what she is saying - without seeing it it's hard to judge).

yorvo wrote:Aquafor and A&D prolong healing.
I'm pretty sure I'm one of the worst healers in the universe. My skin seems really sensitive. I used to use a super thin layer of shea butter on my tattoos, but it made the tattoo kind of oozy and bubbly (not in an infected sort of way of course) and I learned that dry healing after the first day works better for my skin, up to the point where it starts getting flaky (then I use a bit of shea butter again to prevent cracking, etc). I scab and scar really easily too - I wish I had known from the start that dry healing was the way to go for me.