Is my tattoo healing okay? (pictures)

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

goldensun

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:53 pm

I got my first tattoo 2 weeks ago and I've done everything the artist has told me to do for the aftercare. I use Softsoap about twice a day to wash it and for maybe the first 6 days I just used olive oil to moisturize it (seriously, my artist swore by it.) But after the 6 days I felt like it needed something more so I just switched to a little Lubriderm. I know foot tattoos take a little longer to heal and I probably just need to be patient, but it I'm pissed the vibrant black and gray color isn't there anymore and I have NO idea how this thing is going to turn out. Any suggestions? These were taken on my crappy camera phone.

After I got it done, I miss it :(

There's a thick, shiny layer over it, seems like a lot of color went away.

And I have little red bumbs around the ink, they don't really itch?
ActionJackson
Hardcore

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Looks like healing to me. The layer of film will eventually come off and it will look a lot better. I had those fears the first few times around too.
magnumman
Hardcore

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 pm

I would probably not put anything on it for now and just be patient and see what happens. It may just still be part of the healing process, if you're really concerned go back and show the artist.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 am

Your artist probably should have warned you that tattoos on the feet have a pretty good chance of healing like shit. If you get it redone, baby the hell out of it - I don't just mean moisturize, but don't wear shoes or socks, stay off your feet as much as possible, etc. So anytime you have a week off of work or school, that'd be the time to do it.

edit - to answer your question of how it's going to turn out: it will look slightly better than it does now when the dead skin flakes off. It is not ever going to look like it was, unfortunately, and it won't really look noticeably better either. There's a chance it could look worse :\ Did your artist explain foot tattoos to you at all? Did he at least tell you whether or not he offers free touchups?

As for the bumps... does the tattoo still hurt? Is it hot to the touch? I can see some redness in it but that could be caused by the scabs pulling on your skin. It doesn't look like it's infected but I'm no doctor. If the artist shaved the top of your foot before the tattoo (though it seems sort of unnecessary) it might just be ingrown hairs or irritation of your hair follicles. If it doesn't clear up or it's bothering you, you might visit a doctor or dermatologist.
goldensun

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:00 am

kohlhaas wrote:Your artist probably should have warned you that tattoos on the feet have a pretty good chance of healing like shit. If you get it redone, baby the hell out of it - I don't just mean moisturize, but don't wear shoes or socks, stay off your feet as much as possible, etc. So anytime you have a week off of work or school, that'd be the time to do it.

edit - to answer your question of how it's going to turn out: it will look slightly better than it does now when the dead skin flakes off. It is not ever going to look like it was, unfortunately, and it won't really look noticeably better either. There's a chance it could look worse :\ Did your artist explain foot tattoos to you at all? Did he at least tell you whether or not he offers free touchups?
My artist didn't seem too worried about the area she was tattooing, but did offer a free touch up. I've been babying the tattoo like crazy, and worn nothing but flip flops. I've seen so many foot tattoos that look like they heal perfectly, I don't know what I'm doing differently!
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:59 am

goldensun wrote:
kohlhaas wrote:Your artist probably should have warned you that tattoos on the feet have a pretty good chance of healing like shit. If you get it redone, baby the hell out of it - I don't just mean moisturize, but don't wear shoes or socks, stay off your feet as much as possible, etc. So anytime you have a week off of work or school, that'd be the time to do it.

My artist didn't seem too worried about the area she was tattooing, but did offer a free touch up. I've been babying the tattoo like crazy, and worn nothing but flip flops. I've seen so many foot tattoos that look like they heal perfectly, I don't know what I'm doing differently!
The foot is just a tricky area that has a tendency to heal with more difficulty than other places on the body. In normal everyday activity you're constantly moving your feet and that contributes to the slow and poor healing. Wearing flip flops probably wasn't a great idea either. If you have to wear shoes, CLEAN white cotton socks and loose-fitting sneakers (or those ballet slipper type shoes) probably would have been better. I don't know if this is true in your case - but based on your photos and the typical structure of flip flops, the straps of flip flops will go right over the tattooed area of the foot and wreck it.

Some people, despite all odds, will heal a foot tattoo great. Some go to great lengths to do all they can to ensure a good heal. Some people heal better and faster in general than others.

Like I said, the best time to get a foot tattoo is when you have a week to be lazy around the house with your foot elevated and resting on a pillow. For the time being, try not to catch that scabby skin on anything or let it get pulled at too much. Definitely don't wear flip flops. Make sure it's completely healed up before scheduling a touch up on it.
yorvo
Hardcore

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 am

Olive oil is for salad.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 am

yorvo wrote:Olive oil is for salad.
And for frying delicious potatoes in :D
Oliva

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:15 am

I have a foot tatto and the color looks as good today, years later, as the day I got it. The itchy phase was almost unbearable (I did a LOT of slapping ) but other than that I didn't have any healing issues. I used lotion, not oil, probably more than I should have because it was a way to rationalize rubbing - not itching! - it often.

Wait until it is completely healed before passing final judgement. If you still aren't happy, go back to the artist.