Does my tattoo look like its healing ok to you?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Beemdub

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 pm

fe wrote:and don't worry... i actually have a spot on a tattoo right now that is scabby like that... it happens.
Yea well I'm about to go train for mma but I'm not rollin tonight I'm just hitting the bag and weight training so I'm gonna be careful not to let anything touch it..
coregrafx
Hardcore

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm personally not a fan of putting lotion or ointment on a scabbed over tattoo. Aftercare is usually all about avoiding scabbing, but it does happen and I have dealt with it myself. But lotion on a heavily scabbed tattoo just doesn't make sense to me. I would just let it dry heal until the scab falls off itself and then start with the lotion after the scab falls off. Just my opinion, if you do use lotion or ointment, go VERY light with it. You don't want the scab getting all mushy and you don't want to accidentally rub the scab off.

Doing MMA at this point is probably a big no no. The scabbing could easily get rubbed off and take ink with it and then you will have either color loss or scarring to deal with which is no fun.
Beemdub

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

coregrafx wrote:I'm personally not a fan of putting lotion or ointment on a scabbed over tattoo. Aftercare is usually all about avoiding scabbing, but it does happen and I have dealt with it myself. But lotion on a heavily scabbed tattoo just doesn't make sense to me. I would just let it dry heal until the scab falls off itself and then start with the lotion after the scab falls off. Just my opinion, if you do use lotion or ointment, go VERY light with it. You don't want the scab getting all mushy and you don't want to accidentally rub the scab off.

Doing MMA at this point is probably a big no no. The scabbing could easily get rubbed off and take ink with it and then you will have either color loss or scarring to deal with which is no fun.
Yea I just got some a+D tonight and its feeling much better...and yea I just did striking drills today no contact nothing touched my tats..
zola642

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm

my last tattoos did that, i think my guy tried to punch in a little to much ink. they lost some ink and need a touch up
coregrafx
Hardcore

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Beemdub wrote:
coregrafx wrote:I'm personally not a fan of putting lotion or ointment on a scabbed over tattoo. Aftercare is usually all about avoiding scabbing, but it does happen and I have dealt with it myself. But lotion on a heavily scabbed tattoo just doesn't make sense to me. I would just let it dry heal until the scab falls off itself and then start with the lotion after the scab falls off. Just my opinion, if you do use lotion or ointment, go VERY light with it. You don't want the scab getting all mushy and you don't want to accidentally rub the scab off.

Yea I just got some a+D tonight and its feeling much better...and yea I just did striking drills today no contact nothing touched my tats..
I'd avoid any type of contact MMA stuff until the scabbing falls off on it's own which could be a week or two.
Rudy561

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am

You should be fine!

I've had this happen , just let it heal and you will be okay ! Don't freak out !'
Beemdub

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm

thanks for the replies guys heres a picture today of it...Some more of the scabbing is finally starting to come off this is the 3rd day with A+D on it..

I'm pretty sure the flash always makes it look worse than it is haha....i hope :?

Delicious421

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm

I dont know much about tattoo scabs since mine has never scabbed, but it almost seems like your scabs are really wet? and they look like they will rub off easily.... and as far as I know thats not a good thing, maybe you should stop using ointment, idk just my opinion, Im problably wrong
fe
Hardcore

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 pm

looks a little infected to me... that's why i don't like letting it scab like some people do. i think it will be fine, just takes a little longer to heal.
Beemdub

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

fe wrote:looks a little infected to me... that's why i don't like letting it scab like some people do. i think it will be fine, just takes a little longer to heal.
I didn't think I "let" it scab if I knew how to I would of done everything I could of not to let it scab...and the scabs do look like "wet" but I'm almost positive its like a reflection of the flash because looking at it with my eyes it doesn't look wet.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 pm

now here's a scab........happens to the best......err, worst of us........i put no effort into the pic, obviously, just snapped it now to add to this thread

i don't know why this is there, i'm guessin the artist put that sucker (get it ? sucker, ha ha ) thru the meat grinder... :D ...only place on the entire tattoo, but there it is,,,,,,,,,,and this is after 3 weeks......

but i'm not worried, it'll be fine, i bet there will not even be any ink lost..
fe
Hardcore

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 am

i only said let because some people prefer that method. im not accusing you of purposefully not taking care of your tattoo. promise. i'm really bad with semantics so just take it at face value, don't read into it.