Facebook shitbook

Talk about anything....

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid

JimiDanglez
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:34 am

Why the fuck are people so weird when it comes to Facebook? Grown ass old people will get all bent out of shape if you don't except their friend request. My own personal rule of thumb is that if I don't talk to you in the real world then I don't "facebook you". I have co-workers that I've never talked to in 5 or 6 years. See the fucks many times everyday and they'll send facebook friend requests. I just think thats weird as shit. One of my wife's weird cousins sent me a couple and I blocked her. This bitch is like 40 and has her 60 year old mother call my wife to ask her why I blocked her. Seriously? Are people's lives this boring or is mine this exciting? haha
Ach3r0n
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 am

This has me dumbfounded as well. My wife has friend requested people she went to grammar school with and hasn't spoken to in 25+ years. She also accepted a friend request from a woman she used to work with that tried to get her fired numerous times. Sorry, I don't get it either.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 am

facebook is for losers...........
Stubarber
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Same reason people like gossip. Some just gotta know what's going on with everybody else's business, and others are just narcissistic as hell . . .
BSheep

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Goddamnit Jimi, why won't you accept my friend request?

We almost once interacted on a tattoo forum!

I seriously do not know either. I'd had some assholes added on there from a school I used to go to. Then it occurred to me that they were assholes then, still are, and I have no reason to keep in touch with them.

Some people really do use it as a website to collect people they met once...like Pokemon, it's weird.
fe
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

gotta catch em all
JimiDanglez
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:19 pm

I think facebook is good for one thing. Sharing photos with my friends is way more convenient than trying to email all of them. Well 2 things. Posting funny videos and shit as well.
For the life of me I will never understand how a person can walk by you every single day, never speak, and then feel compelled to send a friend request. It’s really creepy. I agree about the narcissistic comment. I had to delete a buddy of mine that was getting carried away with the status updates. He asked me why I deleted him so I explained “dude, we don’t need to know every time you shit, sneeze, and fix yourself something to eat. This dude will actually take photos of his grill. Caption: about to grill. Then 15min later. Caption: steaks on the grill; and so on for hours until caption: going to bed.. Just weird. Then he does the Jason checked into Walmart, shit. Jason is at Frank’s haircuts, etc. That shit is so fucking gay to me.
Yeah the facebook every person you ever went to school with is lame too. People will send me messages. Hey remember me from 4th grade? Facebook just showed me that there are waaaay more weirdos out there than I suspected.
yorvo
Hardcore

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I always wonder why people who are on Facebook whine and bitch about Facebook all day.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm

I enjoy facebook. I was a late adopter, and don't get into any of the gimmicky shit, games, etc. But I do enjoy seeing friends pics and some funny banter now and then. I reconnected with a childhood cousin I was close with who now lives across the country with kids and a family. I keep up on my 20's-30's circle of friends and their family's. I agree with others, if you're not a real life "friend", I just ignore. I probably only have 60 "friends", and more of them are actually family.

I read an amazing article on Facebook and the true "value" of facebook and how ingrained society is into it. It was a great read. I'll see if I can find it. Put things in perspective.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 pm

i plan on throwing some money at the stock right when it goes public........hoping the hype will throw a bunch of money back at me .... :D
fall_child138
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 pm

i'm a facebook whore, i update tonnes, but it's mostly random shit which amuses me.
can't stand when my friends and family air their dirty laundry but whatever, they'd do it over the phone or in the grocery store so what's the difference if 50 or 2000 people see/hear it. it's whatever.
i don't complain because i love the concept. my father's a musician who spends most of the year on the road so it's really the only way i can keep in touch with him. i have a very large family and most of them are on my facebook, plus all the awesome people i've met in my travels it's rad to be able to keep in touch and see what they're doing. i'm not gonna stop
JimiDanglez
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Did any of you read the story about the artist that did some graffiti work for them when they first started? He was paid in stock that now has an estimated worth of $200 million.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Basically theyre saying Facebook has reached a level that nothing ever has in regards to personal data collection and user investment. People have such extensive personal networks established and photos uploaded, etc, and now with independent websites using facebook as credentials, and facebook cross reference integration into commercial and all kinds of websites, that it almost cant go away. It's not just "something better come along" and FB will go away. People are far to invested and dependent on it. And the data they collect based on "likes" and "checkins" and "reading this article" and all that shit is staggering.
JimiDanglez
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Yep, and most people don't realize they are just taking part in free survey after free survey. The marketing value is invaluable.
JimiDanglez
Hardcore

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:10 pm

I've seen some really strange/entertaining shit on FB. From facebook pimpin to the couples that sit next to each other on the couch and message each other love letters. It really is crazy when you think about how big of a part it is in a lot of people's lives. My sister in law likes to get on there and play the sympathy card. She likes to post about her miscarriage on the anniversary every year and how heaven got sweeter on that day; yada yada. This was like 6 or 7 years ago. Get over it. Post about your cool ass kid you have! I just think it's weird.
The other day this dude I know makes a post: Why do girls only like mean guys that treat them bad. I guess nice guys do finish last.
My response: No its because you have no confidence or personality. Yeah I'm a dick I know.