Salt/Saline soaks

Talk about anything....

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid

BSheep

Sun May 13, 2012 1:37 am

Since this is a more general question rather than about using it with a piercing, I'm throwing it off into the general forum.

Do soaks in a saline solution often change the color of the water? Is this an indication that it's pulling infection/pus out if it does?

My SO has an abscess along his gumline and we've decided to use saline soaks in addition to his other medication; I am noticing that the water he spits out is significantly more yellowed. Good thing, bad thing?

edit:
It looked almost like it had some blood in it the first go. Second series of rinsings had it come out a lot clearer. On inspection the abscess was bleeding, which then leads me to ask if it's all right to do soaking/rinsing for a bloody abscess. It definitely helped drain the bad junk out of there...
reefdiver
Hardcore

Sun May 13, 2012 9:09 am

man, that is fucking gross.............tell him to go see a dentist.....

what other meds is he on ?
BSheep

Sun May 13, 2012 11:58 am

He's in between dentist trips right now. I do not know if the next one is just another checkup or if it's for surgery.

I'm not sure if he's got some pills to help with pain or anything but there's another soak his dentist gave him. Haven't looked too closely at it but have been told it tastes horrible and he's not supposed to rinse his mouth with absolutely anything for at least half an hour after using it.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Sun May 13, 2012 3:49 pm

so, he gets medicine from the dentist that tastes bad, so he won't use it.........is he 2 years old ???
sidelvar
Hardcore

Sun May 13, 2012 6:47 pm

reefdiver wrote:so, he gets medicine from the dentist that tastes bad, so he won't use it.........is he 2 years old ???
No shit? I would imagine saline soaks are fine too but jesus why not just use the damn medication?
BSheep

Sun May 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Whoa, back up.

I said in the OP we're using saline soaks in addition to his other medication. Nowhere have I indicated he is not using the medication he was given, my last post just said that I do not know what it is, just that he told me it tastes bad and he doesn't drink anything for at least half an hour after using it.
fe
Hardcore

Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm

the h2ocean piercing spray is awesome for healing infected or healing or whatever piercings. i absolutely hate their tattoo stuff though
sidelvar
Hardcore

Sun May 13, 2012 11:27 pm

BSheep wrote:Whoa, back up.

I said in the OP we're using saline soaks in addition to his other medication. Nowhere have I indicated he is not using the medication he was given, my last post just said that I do not know what it is, just that he told me it tastes bad and he doesn't drink anything for at least half an hour after using it.
My bad, yeah salt soaks should be fine but I would trust a doc more than a guy from the internet. I would double check with someone that knows whats really going on.
fe wrote:the h2ocean piercing spray is awesome for healing infected or healing or whatever piercings. i absolutely hate their tattoo stuff though
The stuff is crap, make your own.
fe
Hardcore

Mon May 14, 2012 1:58 pm

ha ha, i dont get pierced anymore. the healing time involved sucks too much ass.