question about rib tattoo

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

nessa20

Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi,
Im going to be getting my 3rd tattoo soon starting at my ribs down to my hips. It is going to be a collage of stars/shooting stars. I lost my mother whenI was 12 and stars always remind me of her and hope. Ive never been a huge fan of word tattoo but lately the idea has crossed my mind.
The phrase "Life Shines On" is what Ive settled on but I havent settled on even adding words yet. Just want to know how would words look there over time. Do you think long term wise it would be better to not add words. the position of the words would be starting at the top of my ribs and going horizontal but angled down ( hope that makes sense to someone) haha.. thanks, would appreciate any advice and opinions/ideas.
Also if you do have a rib/side tattoo.. what kind of pain am I in for? I have my upper back done and my lower inner arm done.. the arm one hurt pretty bad but Im sure this will be much worse. haha thanks 8)
Freddie
Hardcore

Fri May 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Large script can look very nice on the ribs. The idea of doing the phrase (horiztonally but shifted 90 degrees to make the design vertical) surounded by stars sounds fine. Some on this board are against letterwork, others aren't. Inevitably, it all comes down to you.

The side is a trip, that much is a fact. I'd venture to say that over 75% of the people I know with / have done rib work on didn't have the best time. That said, some people I know or have worked on handled it pretty well. Honestly, you'll never know until you start.
threesixafix
Hardcore

Fri May 15, 2009 4:56 pm

IMO, I would just get the stars, which seem to be pretty popular on the ribs. As far as the pain, I hear the ribs arent too comfortable, but no tattoo feels good. Its always worth it in the end though.

Something like this would look good.
Freddie
Hardcore

Fri May 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Three six, I was thinking something more along of this Julian Zeff piece:

only titled 90 degrees.
Bixler
Hardcore

Fri May 15, 2009 5:48 pm

not a big fan of script, but the pic that freddie posted is pretty interesting. As far as the ribs go, i just got the outline of a piece done last saturday. Everyone talks it up a lot, and don't get me wrong some parts hurt like hell, but it's not that bad. The closer my artist got to my nipple and to my belly button were the parts i struggled with. You'll be fine.
scape
Hardcore

Fri May 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Freddie wrote:Three six, I was thinking something more along of this Julian Zeff piece:

only titled 90 degrees.
the nipple really makes this an odd odd picture
sloppyjoe
Hardcore

Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 pm

i got a mural on my ribs, which took 6.5 hours. i would say its a bearable pain. i agree with bixler though..more towards the tips of the ribs is where it hurts. and i can also say the shading tickled compared to the outline. all in all, the ribs are a beautiful spot for the right piece and its definetly all worth it in the end.