Can this be covered up with....

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

TattooT0M

Tue May 12, 2009 7:43 pm

I currently have this tattoo and although I like it I am getting older now and I want something "bigger" but also "more art like".

I have been searching for months for something to get over this and I think I may have found an easy solution. I was going to get it removed but sometimes they don't always turn out good and that's a lot of $. I was thinking of getting a tribal tat but I don't know if mine can be covered? Here were my ideas.
or

Something along them lines. Would a tat artist or anyone be able to tell me on here if this can be covered with that before I walk into a tattoo shop and ask to get this drawn up? Please let me know :D

And also, tell me if you all like the idea :D
Angertank
Hardcore

Tue May 12, 2009 7:47 pm

I actually like that cross you already have on your forearm - it's simple and clean and iconic. I don't really like the tribal stuff you posted, but I'm just not a fan of that stuff. Most of it just looks generic to me.
That being said, there is some cool cover-up work out there which works to cover up bigger stuff than your forearm piece.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tatto ... =en&tab=wi
Last edited by Angertank on Tue May 12, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xXQUIZITx

Tue May 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I would not just look for something to cover the piece or that you think will cover the piece there are alot of artist that can do amazing coverup jobs.... That said I would find something that you want for yourself then ask if it will work...Not just something you settle with thinking it will work...Like I said more can probably be done than you think and if the artist suggest getting a couple laser sessions I think it would be worth it to have something you truley want on your body than something you settled for.....but in order to know you gotta asked .....
TattooT0M

Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm

You guys are right but I got this tattoo when I was 16 since it was a tattoo my parent's would approve of. I am catholic and everything but I am tired of getting asked all these religious questions because I am not the religious type so right there now that I am older makes me want to get something else. I thought of almost everything but the tribal looks cool to me but yeah I don't want to get tired of that too.

If I went to get it laser removed, would it come off or would you still be able to see it? Sometimes I think seeing the tattoo in full color is better then seeing it all smeared and tried to be removed.

I do think that looks siick though. This tattoo i have now is cool but sometimes when I show people they have comments such as, "Man shoulda got a bigger tat" and now I feel like should have.
Angertank
Hardcore

Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 pm

You are considering two opposite and mutually exclusive things: getting a larger tattoo to cover this one, or lasering the old one away.
I can't say how much you really want a larger piece if the laser solution is just as much an option to you...
TattooT0M

Tue May 12, 2009 8:03 pm

Angertank wrote:You are considering two opposite and mutually exclusive things: getting a larger tattoo to cover this one, or lasering the old one away.
I can't say how much you really want a larger piece if the laser solution is just as much an option to you...
Like I just said.

I would get the laser removal if I was guaranteed that it would be completely gone and you wouldn't see it. I think it looks better having the full color tattoo there other then smeared washed up tattoos.

If I am not guaranteed then I am probably looking to get something put over top of it which means I would be going bigger.

I am really stuck between two things here and I'm not sure what to do.

I am not even sure how much laser treatment is and if I can even afford it. Seems like getting it covered is just easier and cheaper but who knows If I will even be happy with that!
reefdiver
Hardcore

Tue May 12, 2009 8:43 pm

TattooT0M wrote: Seems like getting it covered is just easier and cheaper but who knows If I will even be happy with that!
it doesn't sound like you have your heart in this new tattoo.....don't do it , you have already been down that road once....
Bixler
Hardcore

Tue May 12, 2009 9:05 pm

ya bro, the cross is done pretty clean as far as i can tell from the picture. Covering that with a tribal piece seems like a step backwards. If you're worried about people asking you about your tattoo, changing the fact that you have a cross on you won't stop the questions. If you have any visible work, people will always come up and bug you and ask about "meaning" and shit, only solution to that is probably a tyson face tat to scare off the weak.(kidding....kinda). I too was raised catholic and have a few crosses on me but havn't gone to mass in years. Don't worry about what other people think and just wear your ink with pride.
yorvo
Hardcore

Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 pm

The cross is fine. Get something else. Bigger and badder. Maybe something evil on the other arm. It will divert their attention.
CSA

Tue May 12, 2009 11:35 pm

The cross looks fine to me, too, and you are not likely to get much encouragement for covering it with a tribal whatever. If I were you, I would do NOTHING right now except reflect on whether you in fact want something bigger on your forearm (a generally highly visible location) and, if so, what that something might be. Once you have done that, the next step would be to locate an artist who does excellent work of the type you want to get and go visit with and talk to that artist. It is entirely possible that the cross could be incorporated into a larger, more significant, and more artistic piece, depending on the direction you decide to go in. Absent laser removal, whatever you do or don't do with the existing tattoo is going to be there for the rest of your life, and it will therefore be worth your while to take your time.