How would you cover this?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Liki

Thu May 07, 2009 9:12 am

Hello everyone, I have been lurking on these forums for a while now and finally decided to brave these murky waters and actually make a post.

When I got my first tattoo it was on a whim. Went into a shop, looked at some flash and got it done. A few years later I thought it would be a good idea to get a shock symbol tattoed on the small of my back (doh). I have started taking more and more interest in tattos and after seeing what can be done with a bit of planning and reseach I feel dissatisfied with my back tattoos and want them covered. I have an idea for a japanese style backpiece that I would like and I have even gone as far as booking time with an artist for a consultation. My question is do you all think these would easily be covered? It's not that I don't trust my artist I just want to hear as many opinions and ideas as possible before deciding how to move on with my project.

Here are the offending articles

The butterfly is on my right shoulderblade and is about 50 millimeters/ 2 inches across.
The shock symbol is in the small of my back and about the same size as the butterfly. The pictures are a bit so and so as I took them myself.
green_girl
Hardcore

Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 am

Liki wrote:It's not that I don't trust my artist
Well firstly this kinda statement always makes me shudder.

Coverups - we can give you all the advice you like, but without physically seeing the tattoos (I'm not talking about pictures), its still a crap shoot. The butterfly looks like it should be easy to cover, it could always be a little rock in a Japanese piece. That shock symbol is a very black looking ring. Small or not, that thing looks like it will be tougher to cover - considering the placement you mentioned.
Liki

Thu May 07, 2009 9:49 am

Ye poor choice of words regarding my trust in my artist abilities. I do get that it's difficult to give advice over the internet like this but nontheless I am interested in how different people would solve the same problem. If only to give me an idea about my limits as I go dreaming about my new tatto. If I could go back in time I would and I would slap myself for even considering that silly shock symbol.
actualfact
Hardcore

Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 am

eh, no one here's gonna really be able to help you.

but laser removal is always an option.
Gloom
Hardcore

Thu May 07, 2009 10:09 am

I suggest possibly going through a few rounds of laser treatment and then going to a reputable artist, where do you live? We could probably suggest some good artists that while might be a bit more than you want to spend... will guarantee you a piece you will be satisfied with for the rest of your life. I don't think those pieces would be too hard to cover up even w/o the laser treatment, but don't make the mistake of getting a sub-par artist to try and cover it up as that could be more disastrous than living with what you've already got.
Liki

Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 am

Gloom wrote:I suggest possibly going through a few rounds of laser treatment and then going to a reputable artist, where do you live? We could probably suggest some good artists that while might be a bit more than you want to spend... will guarantee you a piece you will be satisfied with for the rest of your life. I don't think those pieces would be too hard to cover up even w/o the laser treatment, but don't make the mistake of getting a sub-par artist to try and cover it up as that could be more disastrous than living with what you've already got.
Good to hear that you don't think it's mission impossible :) I live in Stockholm (Sweden) and I have been around a few places and been given ~1000 SEK (aprox 130 USD) per hour as a price which I think is reasonable. I should probably add that these pictures are not current, I have let them fade a bit since I photographed them as I wanted to have them covered.
Live4him
Hardcore

Thu May 07, 2009 10:20 am

It's not mission impossible. It should be able to be covered fairly easily, just have to work with your artist a lot.

My old mentor once took a 5 inch long black blocked lizard and turned it into a wicked sweet underwater piece. It can be done.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 am

those are easily coverable. I assure you.