Getting a tattoo reworked?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Angertank
Hardcore

Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm

I've got a chestpiece done about ten years ago. The artist who did it is an excellent illustrator and I love the design. However, it is one of my most faded tattoos despite being much newer than some others. I didn't do anything differently when it came to healing it. I think maybe the artist didn't lay the color in well enough, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to say.

I'd like to get it reworked, really just to get the black and colors pounded in there to be bold.

This same artist did another of my tattoos which is completely black and is faded as all hell despite only being out in the sun for a total of about 3 hours in ten years. So, I hesitate to return to that artist.

Would an artist have any qualms about reworking another artist's tattoo? If they operate in the same town?
If I get it redone, should I tell the new artist the name of the artist who originally did it, or would that be considered an insult or something?
OICUR4692
Hardcore

Tue May 05, 2009 8:52 pm

it all depends on the artist. some wont touch it, others wouldnt hesitate. i got some crappy work on my neck and i had it re-done by another artist. just ask and see what they say.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm

i'm facing the same dilemma.........i figured that i am just going to go talk to the artist that did my last tattoo and see if he will touch up my others....

what is the worst that can happen? he says :no>........i can live with what i have, but will eventaully get it upgraded
AWilliams
Hardcore

Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 pm

I heard a tattoo can only be re-colored once....true?
Angertank
Hardcore

Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 pm

I didn't want to seem like I was slamming this other artist if I say that I don't want to go back to them.
green_girl
Hardcore

Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm

AWilliams wrote:I heard a tattoo can only be re-colored once....true?
I've seen a cover up of a cover up. But, most work looks better covered up if it has been lightened by laser first. And that goes for recolouring too.