I need the best portrait artist in AZ, who is it?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

bullballs88

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:41 pm

Can anybody help me? Im getting a portrait and i want the best in AZ. Phoenix in particular. Who is it? Price is not an issue.
Tattude
Hardcore

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm

Don't limit yourself to AZ...
Tickets or cheap nowdays and there tons of GREAT portait aritists around.
Also, make sure you don't have a tattoo convention coming to AZ anytime soon because you can always find one or two at the conventions.
dragon guy tattoo
Hardcore

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm

If you want a first class portrait, this is the man. If you look at his web page you can see for yourself. Bob has a real class with his work that I can really appreciate. I think he might be the man for you. Bob doesn’t have a shop in AZ, but he does tattoo conventions all over the country and world. If I remember right, he does the Tucson conventions. Let me know what you think.

http://www.bobtyrrell.com/indexx.html
bullballs88

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:45 pm

So as far as the conventions go. How would i set up an appointment for when one of these guys are in town?
bullballs88

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:51 pm

Tyrrell is awesome. Id probably have to call his shop and ask when he might be in the area.
Slinger520

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:24 pm

First of all there is many great artists in Phoenix, second, there is no convention in Tucson. If you don't want to wait till the Valley of the Sun convention (Phoenix) in April for an out of town artist I would recommend Divintiy Tattoo in Phoenix, ask for Paulo or Dub. They are excellent artists, they also have a website. If you're in the Tucson area come and talk to me at Metro Tattoo, I would be glad to help you.
bullballs88

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:55 pm

Hey Slinger thanks for your help. Who would you say is better out of Paulo and Dub, im sure they have their own styles but who would you get a portrait from? Would you say there really isnt anybody better in phoenix with portraits than these 2?
Slinger520

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:10 pm

I know of many great tattoo artists in Phoenix but Divintiy Tattoo is an excellent studio all around. Many of the other studios you will get raped on prices because of their overhang, but Divintiy is appealing. Other good studios are Urban Art and Club Tattoo, but I would stick with Paolo or Dub both equally really.
Slinger520

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:11 pm

Slinger520

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Here try this one...

http://www.divinitytattoo.com/
bullballs88

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:17 pm

Cool, I like Paulo's work a lot. Its so hard to find someone to do a portrait when you dont really know who to go to. All artists will tell you that they are the best. Im sure you know how that goes. So Slinger, I know there are many great artists around but can you think of anyone better than Paulo at portraits? I mean im just asking cause i like his art a lot so I might just go on down there and try to get an appointment. Im sure he can do better or at least equal to anybody here would you say? Nobody i go to is gonna do a portrait on me that would just blow Paulo away right?
bullballs88

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:27 pm

Also slinger what do you think is the difference in guys like Paulo and someone like Jack Rudy or Dawei Zhang? I know those 2 are like pioneers. Would you say their portraits are like way way way better than a guy like Paulo's?
Tattude
Hardcore

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:31 am

Bob is great but he's SLOW and expensive. He is always booked at shows too. Hard to get work by him unless you go to his shop. You can get great work else-where.
Slinger520

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:26 pm

Well, there are many great portrait artists. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend, travel, and wait. Getting an appointment with someone like Bob Tyrell may take years and hundreds and hundreds of dollars. You may be able to get it done by someone like Jack Rudy way easier, he usually attends the Phoenix convention in April. I used to work for him for the A.P.T., he is a great guy and a great artist. You can try and get ahold of him at Good Time Charlie's in California to set up an appointment, but he is NEVER there; always doing the convention circuit. Another person you may check out in Phoenix is Sage O'Connell at Urban Art Tattoo http://www.urbanarttattoo.com/ What area do you live in, I may be able to refer you to some others if I can think of them. If I was you I would check out portfolios until the April convention and see who shows up there, or check out their website for updates on attending artists
http://www.aztattooexpo.com/
TattooSEO

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 pm

I like Anthony Romero from Phoenix Tattoo Company for portraits. Here are some other good Phoenix artists as well including links to their sites and reviews:

http://www.tattooseo.com/phoenix-tattoo-shops/