TATTOOS FOR 16 YEAR OLDS WITH PARENTS PERMISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

emjay1989

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:46 am

i am 16 years old. i want a tattoo. my mother says that see will give me her permission. the only thing is that every where i go the tattoo guy tells me that you have to be 18 no matter what. do any of you guys know a place in Long Island, New York or Queens, New York that will do tattoos for minors who have there parents concent. please email me back at emjay1989@aol.com. thank you very much.
TheTattooArtist

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:58 am

In some states they require you to be 21! No matter what. Some it's 18. In our shop in Missouri, we will tattoo as young as 17 with parental concent.
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:15 pm

Chill out and save your money until your 18 or 21 and get a LOT of work done... You'll be happier then getting some little one now, just to have it covered up in 5-10 years.
BadWolf
Verified

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:51 pm

SOME 16 year olds I know have a better idea of what they want out of life than MOST 21 year olds and over I know.

There is no "magic age" where everyone suddenly becomes wise. I know many old people who are plain stupid, and many young people who have achieved genius status.

Older does not necessarily equal "elder".

These things should be considered on a case by case basis by the tattooist.
CxCx
Verified

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:26 am

I got my first piece at 15 (i'm 22 now) and I still like it. The only probalem I have is that the "wear and tear" of life (playing football, going to shows, working, ect.) has done a number on it. I'll eventually get it touched up, but never covered up.
Sgt_Major

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:33 pm

Legally here its 18. Unfortunatly tho there is no legal limit for piercings :(
Tattude
Hardcore

Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:29 pm

BadWolf wrote:There is no "magic age" where everyone suddenly becomes wise. I know many old people who are plain stupid, and many young people who have achieved genius status.

Older does not necessarily equal "elder".
Genius means nothing when it comes to maturity. No matter how you look at it, life means something TOTALLY different from the ages of 16 to 25. Same can be said from 25 to 35.
Maturity and smarts are totally different dragons.
16 is to young IMO for tattoos...
Can you honestly say that you have the same views on life from 16 to 25 or 30?
Come on? Unless you have an experienced tattoo person in your life helping you out with your tattoo choice and making sure you don’t get something retarded or faddish don’t get one.
Kitty Von English

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:55 pm

Oh just wait.... besides your interests from 16-18 will change rather dramatically and it's better to be safe in what you want tattooed on you than sorry. Don't worry there will always be tattoo artisits to tattoo you when your ready... at 18. :)
BadWolf
Verified

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:48 pm

Yes...at the age of 18 you will automatically be "ready".
Arent you aware that on your 18th birthday, God, himself comes and hands you all the answers?? At 11:59:59 PM the evening before your birthday, you were just some dumb kid, and at EXACTLY MIDNIGHT...just ONE SECOND LATER... you all of a sudden become a superhuman with a much more accurate view on things!
It's magick, I tell ya! Once you are 18, you will never make a decision you regret, again! Until then, you are incapable of constructing a reasonable plan, so just hang in there until that magickal day comes along!
And remember!! The law is always right, and social stigmas are there to protect you!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, folks...some people like to collect markers all along the path of their life. They do not want or need to leave out any significant chunk of that journey...such as their youth. As I said above...this is something that should be decided on a case by case basis.
goblinz2000

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:47 pm

nice, a debate, i havent seen this since high school. i was 15 when got my first tattoo, and am now 19 years old in the navy. right after my grandfather dies, i had 2 sparrows holding a banner with his name in it, tatted across my chest from collar bone to collar bone. the same 2 sparrows he had tattood on his arm in WW2. and i drew the tattoo no less, actually all my tattoos. i dont know but that seems pretty damn mature for 15. there is no age that should be put on art. thats what tattoos are, ART! if a 16 year old girl knows what she wants on her body for the rest of her life, so be it. your body is a canvas, waiting for a masterpiece. and i belive that anyone who wants to judge a young person for wanting to create a masterpiece, truely dosent understand what it's like. people judge me all the time for my ammount of tattoos and my age, but damnit they all tell the story of my life, and if they knew the meaning behind it, maby they would understand. i say to the girl that started this forum, hell yeah, more power to ya, search around, and dont be held back by others limitations. you'll find a shop that will allow you to get the tattoo, and i know you wont regret it. good luck, and paint the canvas!
Tattude
Hardcore

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:29 pm

goblinz2000 wrote: i belive that anyone who wants to judge a young person for wanting to create a masterpiece, truely dosent understand what it's like.

lol
I guess you never won many debates? Creating a masterpiece??? lol Yea, right! Ok Salvador Dali
goblinz2000 wrote: you'll find a shop that will allow you to get the tattoo, and i know you wont regret it. good luck, and paint the canvas!
YOU know she won't regret it? Really...? :rollseyes:
You say I don't know how it's like? I've been getting ink since I was a young teen. EVERY single one of my tattoos I received back then are now covered up. I’m 31 now. When you get tribute tattoos, memorials, or anything dealing with family and friends it usually stands the sands of time. 99% of EVERYTHING else is NOT going too. Do I regret any of my tattoos? NO, not anymore. ;)
Your 19 years old, of course you won’t care if another teenager got another trendy tattoo.
dragon guy tattoo
Hardcore

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:26 pm

I don’t know how the laws are in New York. I know that in my state if I tattoo a minor I could get

1. $500 fine
2. 6 months in county jail
3. Loss of license for life.

This is why most of us would never touch a minor. Sure for you it might be a few bucks, but for us it is what we feed and clothe our kids with. If you do find a shop to do the tattoo you might feel lucky; but ask yourself, if they don’t care about the law… what else are they cutting corners with?

You would be better off just waiting. A tattoo artist who cares about all the details will care more about what they do to you. After all… it is our reputation on your body
illsmackabitch

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:19 pm

well i know for a fact that it is legal for people the ages of 16 and up can get tattoos in maryland if u wanna go down there to get work done
FairyDust7

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:31 pm

I just joined and already gotta post. :oops:

I've always loved tattoos and when I was 14 I stupidly tattoo'd myself, nevermind that I can't even draw a stick figure. :roll: So I got it covered up when I turned 18 b/c I hated it. Thankfully it was just a small little tattoo and was very easy to cover up. I also as far back as I can remember have wanted a lower back tattoo, one on each side calf, my arms, etc. I finally got my lower back tattoo when I was 21, because I wanted to make sure it was exactly what I wanted since its something for life and yeah you can cover them up, but why not make the right decision just once? Rather than wasting money later on and having to go through it all again. Don't get me wrong, I love getting tattoos, its so freakin addicting. But I just don't ever want to feel like I made a mistake and have to go and cover it up. I now also have a dagger on my right calf, I never thought I'd want a dagger but I just loved it and also waited on that for quite a while before committing to it. I have a butterfly and another dagger/sword on my inner arm by my wrist, both times were totally off the walls moments, but I don't regre thtem 100% b/c they were what I wanted. The dagger/sword was done in Texas and reminds me of my mom and when I went down there to help her out of a really bad situation.

I guess what I am trying to say is that even though you want a tattoo now, I would really consider waiting until you are 100% sure it is what you want. Don't get something thats in style now, don't get it because everyone else wants one, etc. If there is somehing you want right now, why not wait a couple of years and by the time you are 18 and you still want it, then it is probably the right tattoo for you. Also like others mentioned regarding the artists not being allowed by law to do tattoo on minors, what kind of artist will you go to? I personally refuse to go to anyone that I think might not be good. I can't imagine a good artist wanting to risk their business they have built, on one customer. I would defnitely wait until I was 18 for that reason alone. I would hate to wind up with a crappy tattoo to top it off also.

Trust me, I totally understand wanting a tattoo right now, I wanted them all my teen years (I'm 25 now), but I am very glad I waited and really thought on them and the designs and went to a good artist for all of them.
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 pm

There is a subject here that I'd like to touch on since it was brought up in the previous post...

Coverup tattoos are not always as simple as one is lead to believe. The attitude 'If I don't like it later on in life I can always get it covered...' should never be in the back of one's mind when choosing to get a tattoo. This is a permanent addition to the body and should be thought of as such. Why? Because some tattoos, and I've seen quite a few, are not always able to be covered. Even when they are coverable, there usually has to be a bit of compromise... sometimes it takes a lot of compromise to make the cover piece work. The new piece might be better than the old piece, but rarely can it be what it could have been if the design had been better thought out in the first place.