Industrial Piercing pain and bruising?

Questions related to piercings

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, jamison

jjantzen13
Hardcore

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 am

I got an industrial piercing done Friday morning and I really like the placement and everything. Besides the mild pain and the weird sound during piercing, there were no problems that I could tell. That is until today.

My ear started getting pretty tender. This afternoon, it got damn near painful to the touch. When I went to clean it (the dried blood that was right around the piercing) I noticed my ear is a dark purple color right now.

I did some Google-ing and found that this is uncommon, but I didn't find any definitive info on whether or not it can be a sign of problems. I would call my piercer, but he is out of town until Tuesday.

Any help>
choo
Hardcore

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:24 am

pics? doesnt sound that unsual especialy for a cartlidge piercing: they can take (literaly) years to fully heal and often flare up even after their totaly healed.
jjantzen13
Hardcore

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:54 pm

no camera=no pics :(
just woke up, and the pain has gone down to an annoying itch or a mild pain when touched, but it is still purple.
slightly lighter shade of purple, and knowing me and how fast bruises heal, I'm going with just a bruised ear, nothing else.

I guess I got kinda paranoid.

but, whatever
niteshadepromise
Hardcore

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:52 pm

Also look into getting two smaller barbells or bent barbells that are the same gauge as your industrial bar and have someone at the shop you went to switch them out for you. Sometimes the stress of the industrial bar can make it really difficult for your ear to heal as quickly as it can. It won't be under as much stress if you have the two separate bars and can change it out once your ear has healed up.
I don't have an industrial right now, but I've heard of this method and am going to do it this way when I get mine done. Supposedly it helps keep the ear from rejecting as well.

Hope this helps!
choo
Hardcore

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:28 pm

niteshadepromise wrote:Also look into getting two smaller barbells or bent barbells that are the same gauge as your industrial bar and have someone at the shop you went to switch them out for you. Sometimes the stress of the industrial bar can make it really difficult for your ear to heal as quickly as it can. It won't be under as much stress if you have the two separate bars and can change it out once your ear has healed up.
I don't have an industrial right now, but I've heard of this method and am going to do it this way when I get mine done. Supposedly it helps keep the ear from rejecting as well.

Hope this helps!
sometimes the holes will heal differently and wont line up after their finished healing unfortunately.

if you continue having problems ask for ptfe or bioplast as jewlery (its kinda a foggy clear colour) as it'l put less stress on the body and its flexable.
jjantzen13
Hardcore

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:51 pm

well, as of today, there is no discoloration, and the pain has gone way down.
it wouldn't hurt if it wasn't for the fact that i snagged it on a towel when i was drying my hair yesterday, it hurt like hell, and bled like a bitch. It is fine now, no scabs, no bleeding, no bruising. Just a slight pain, and a slightly itchy feeling (like the same feeling I got when my ear lobes were healing.)

not too worried about anything now. but i'm still going in for a follow-up on friday, just to be safe.

for now though, it's all good.
niteshadepromise
Hardcore

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:27 pm

choo wrote:
sometimes the holes will heal differently and wont line up after their finished healing unfortunately.

if you continue having problems ask for ptfe or bioplast as jewlery (its kinda a foggy clear colour) as it'l put less stress on the body and its flexable.
Oh, never thought of them healing differently...
I've just been asking around with people who have industrials and asked the Tattoo shop I worked at for the short time I did and the double barbells is what they suggested.

ptfe or bioplast, huh? I'll definitely look into this when I'm searching for a good piercer. I sleep on the ear I want done all the time, so rejection is a huge concern of mine. I'll keep this alternative to the doubles in mind. Thanks!
jjantzen13
Hardcore

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm

i roll around all the time while i sleep (light-sleeper and i can't seem to get comfortable unless i'm drunk), so i've learned already to make a pillow out of a towel and some bubble-wrap. it's kinda donut/oval shaped so my ear doesn't get flattened by my head, and wake me up. it's only gonna be temporary until the pain goes away. anyways, yeah. a little pain during sleep ain't bad, but waking up with a bloody ear isnt fun.
FadeToBlack
Hardcore

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:21 pm

I dunno if mine is the same?(check my pictures)

When I got my rook piercing done, it felt good going in...then he bent the bar to secure the ball and that hurt like a bitch!

Then.....the dreaded cleaning. Having to rotate the bar and clean it hurt realll bad the first 2 weeks. My ear was pink and darker pink closer to the piercing. I thought it was infected, but I just kept cleaning and it eventually healed.

Now it's fine. I need to find some replacement jewelry.
choo
Hardcore

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:24 pm

you shouldnt rotate the bar during healing.

all that will do is create more scar tissue; also if theres any crusty bits on the jewlery and you twist it... well it hurts like a cunt!
jjantzen13
Hardcore

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:28 pm

when i had my lobes pierced, i would rotate the ring so that the part that was in my ear was either just in front or behind or the skin so i could wipe the crap off of it, i never had problems with it.

today, i woke up and realized that the barbell for my industrial was laying on my pillow and there was no bloody or scabs or anything on my ear when i checked.

i rinsed everything with anti-bacterial soap and made sure there was nothing, other than a raw looking stripe inside the piercing it looks fine. the barbell moves in and out of the piercing easily and painlessly (until i have to manipulate it into the second hole, then it kinda hurts.)

not sure how long it was out of my ear, and i still don't feel comfortable with leaving it out, but i do think it is healing nicely.
FadeToBlack
Hardcore

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:52 am

choo wrote:you shouldnt rotate the bar during healing.

all that will do is create more scar tissue; also if theres any crusty bits on the jewlery and you twist it... well it hurts like a cunt!
I dunno about all that.

I don't even need to look at the piercing aftercare papers anymore, it's simple what to do, and textbook.

Wash hands with Dial soap.

Take Q-tip, wet with hot hot water, clean crust/pus substance from piercing and pierced area.

Take new Q=tips and swish around in water/dial soap mixture. Lightly brush piercing and pierced area as you are rotating it through hole to clean out pierced skin.

Take a new Q-tip and wet with hot hot water and rinse piercing and pierced area while rotating to get all remaining soapy mixture out of pierced area and off the piercing.

Dry area and piercing with new Q-tip and apply minimal amount of A&D to piercing and rotate through pierced area. Make sure not to clog or leave excess cream on area and piercing.

Have fun.
beadedcrow
Hardcore

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 pm

purple sounds scary! I've have conch piercings in both ears - one is 3 years old - the other only a couple weeks. I've thought about an Industrial, they look awesome.
jjantzen13
Hardcore

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 pm

i really like mine.

to bruising is long gone, the pain comes and goes depending on whether or not i catch it on something.

so far the only problem though that has stuck around is hair getting wound around one of the ends and pulling on it when i comb my hair. but hey, that's a personal problem, having long hair and an industrial.
Melizerd

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:53 pm

I've been debating an industrial piercing for awhile. I worry about my hair getting caught in it too.

I have hair almost to my butt right now.