covering fresh tat for swimming

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

chocodog

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:19 pm

Swimming is my main form of exercise, and I was wondering if there was a way to cover a fresh tattoo for swimming. I was hoping to get inked on both wrists, and to maybe cover it by slathering some lotion or neosporin over it and covering with some latex or something. Any advice? This is not a summer-only thing. I swim year 'round. Thanks for any advice.

p.s. It's chlorine, but it's indoors.
crazycatlady

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:31 pm

well do you want a nice raised inflamed tattoo on your wrist or not is the question. when you put a latex swimcap on your hair still gets all chloriney and a bit wet, so same goes for your wrist, its going to hurt like hell if you do get chlorine on it. think of it like pouring bleach on an open wound, you wouldnt do that now would you? go jogging or something just until its healed.
chocodog

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:55 pm

crazycatlady wrote:well do you want a nice raised inflamed tattoo on your wrist or not is the question. when you put a latex swimcap on your hair still gets all chloriney and a bit wet, so same goes for your wrist, its going to hurt like hell if you do get chlorine on it. think of it like pouring bleach on an open wound, you wouldnt do that now would you? go jogging or something just until its healed.
Thanks for the info. It makes perfect sense. There has to be some way to really waterproof it though, don't you think? Like with taping it up or something? I'm not talking even about the first week, but waiting a whole month would be like torture. I would do something else, but I have MS and swimming is really the only thing for me at this point. I guess no tattoo then, too. :( Thanks again for the info!
LeiseRitter

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:40 pm

All you have to do if use a regular lotion on it. Once it starts to scab up in a few days, then you can go swimming again. Don't you dare pick the scabs, let it fall off. But like the person who posted before me said, go jogging or something for the next few days and it shouldn't be more than 5 days before you could swim again. There really is no way around the old saying, time heals all things.
statefelon716
Hardcore

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:10 pm

Covering it is worse than swiming in the first place. When it gets moist you are providing the new tattoo (an OPEN wound) with the ideal breading place for bacteria warm and moist. The last thing you want is an infected tattoo. Is a couple hours in the pool worth the money you spent on it. My advice would be to wait untill your tat is fully healed (9-14 days)
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:38 am

LeiseRitter wrote:All you have to do if use a regular lotion on it. Once it starts to scab up in a few days, then you can go swimming again. Don't you dare pick the scabs, let it fall off. But like the person who posted before me said, go jogging or something for the next few days and it shouldn't be more than 5 days before you could swim again. There really is no way around the old saying, time heals all things.
WTF are you TALKING about????????????????????

Five days??? Are you kidding?

If a tattoo forms a scab and you go swimming it'll become soggy and you'll lose most of the tattoo! Most people won't heal within five days. For most it takes at least a week, for some, closer to two. For some, it can take up to a month. It depends on the person. If you want to trash your ink, that's fine. But five days? That's bullshit.
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:44 am

chocodog wrote:Swimming is my main form of exercise, and I was wondering if there was a way to cover a fresh tattoo for swimming. I was hoping to get inked on both wrists, and to maybe cover it by slathering some lotion or neosporin over it and covering with some latex or something. Any advice? This is not a summer-only thing. I swim year 'round. Thanks for any advice.

p.s. It's chlorine, but it's indoors.
It doesn't matter if the water is chlorinated or not. Water can pull the ink from a tattoo if it isnt' healed. I'm sure chlorine would have a nice bleaching effect too. Covering it or suffocating it in ointment won't help. Covering can help to breed bacteria and gooping on ointment can cause the tattoo to weep and pull ink out. This is an investment. Treat it as such. A week or two out of the water wont' kill you. Make sure it's completely healed before going back in the water. Wait until any scabbing or peeling has stopped. After that you're good to go. :)
chocodog

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am

SharpTattoos wrote:
It doesn't matter if the water is chlorinated or not. Water can pull the ink from a tattoo if it isnt' healed. I'm sure chlorine would have a nice bleaching effect too. Covering it or suffocating it in ointment won't help. Covering can help to breed bacteria and gooping on ointment can cause the tattoo to weep and pull ink out. This is an investment. Treat it as such. A week or two out of the water wont' kill you. Make sure it's completely healed before going back in the water. Wait until any scabbing or peeling has stopped. After that you're good to go. :)
Thanks. I know it's an investment. That's why I probably won't do it. As I said up in an earlier reply, I have MS, and swimming is the one (and only) thing that makes me feel good. Otherwise, my back is spasming all over the place, and I'd rather not deal with that. Anything I can do to make it heal really fast?
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:29 am

It's not going to kill you to go a few days without swimming...
After about 5-6 days you can go swimming if you HAVE too, with 10 days being the industry norm.
It's not hard to wait
Grooovy53

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Hey-
-I definately would not going swimming in a pool until at least a month after you get the tattoo. You don't want to mess with an open wound like that. The chlorine could really ruin it. However, the ocean it perfectly fine! Hope that helps. -Courtney
Grooovy53

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Hey-
-I definately would not going swimming in a pool until at least a month after you get the tattoo. You don't want to mess with an open wound like that. The chlorine could really ruin it. However, the ocean it perfectly fine! Hope that helps. -Courtney, Boston MA
Grooovy53

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Hey-
-I definately would not going swimming in a pool until at least a month after you get the tattoo. You don't want to mess with an open wound like that. The chlorine could really ruin it. However, the ocean it perfectly fine! Hope that helps. -Courtney, Boston MA
statefelon716
Hardcore

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:29 pm

^ a month??? it will be healed in like 10 days. And the ocean will be worse because it has salt and shrinks your skin which could fuck up a new tattoo more than a pool
statefelon716
Hardcore

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:29 pm

^ a month??? it will be healed in like 10 days. And the ocean will be worse because it has salt and shrinks your skin which could fuck up a new tattoo more than a pool
statefelon716
Hardcore

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:30 pm