FAQ Search Memberlist Register Profile MPS Search Log in to check your private messages Log in
 
 
covering fresh tat for swimming

Goto page 1,   
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com Forum Index -> Tattoos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chocodog

Enthusiast


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: covering fresh tat for swimming Reply with quote

Swimming is my main form of exercise, and I was wondering if there was a way to cover a fresh tattoo for swimming. I was hoping to get inked on both wrists, and to maybe cover it by slathering some lotion or neosporin over it and covering with some latex or something. Any advice? This is not a summer-only thing. I swim year 'round. Thanks for any advice.

p.s. It's chlorine, but it's indoors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crazycatlady

Artist


Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 79
My Tattoos (3)
Tattoo Work (17)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well do you want a nice raised inflamed tattoo on your wrist or not is the question. when you put a latex swimcap on your hair still gets all chloriney and a bit wet, so same goes for your wrist, its going to hurt like hell if you do get chlorine on it. think of it like pouring bleach on an open wound, you wouldnt do that now would you? go jogging or something just until its healed.
_________________
Jibun ni totte Tattoo wa art to ari, jikomanzoku de shika sugimasen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chocodog

Enthusiast


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazycatlady wrote:
well do you want a nice raised inflamed tattoo on your wrist or not is the question. when you put a latex swimcap on your hair still gets all chloriney and a bit wet, so same goes for your wrist, its going to hurt like hell if you do get chlorine on it. think of it like pouring bleach on an open wound, you wouldnt do that now would you? go jogging or something just until its healed.


Thanks for the info. It makes perfect sense. There has to be some way to really waterproof it though, don't you think? Like with taping it up or something? I'm not talking even about the first week, but waiting a whole month would be like torture. I would do something else, but I have MS and swimming is really the only thing for me at this point. I guess no tattoo then, too. Sad Thanks again for the info!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeiseRitter

Enthusiast


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do if use a regular lotion on it. Once it starts to scab up in a few days, then you can go swimming again. Don't you dare pick the scabs, let it fall off. But like the person who posted before me said, go jogging or something for the next few days and it shouldn't be more than 5 days before you could swim again. There really is no way around the old saying, time heals all things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
statefelon716

Enthusiast Hardcore


Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 162
My Tattoos (1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covering it is worse than swiming in the first place. When it gets moist you are providing the new tattoo (an OPEN wound) with the ideal breading place for bacteria warm and moist. The last thing you want is an infected tattoo. Is a couple hours in the pool worth the money you spent on it. My advice would be to wait untill your tat is fully healed (9-14 days)
_________________
Think how you want about me; Judge me how you wana judge me but Only Gods Judgement Counts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SharpTattoos

Artist Hardcore


Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 746
My Tattoos (0)
Tattoo Work (52)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiseRitter wrote:
All you have to do if use a regular lotion on it. Once it starts to scab up in a few days, then you can go swimming again. Don't you dare pick the scabs, let it fall off. But like the person who posted before me said, go jogging or something for the next few days and it shouldn't be more than 5 days before you could swim again. There really is no way around the old saying, time heals all things.


WTF are you TALKING about????????????????????

Five days??? Are you kidding?

If a tattoo forms a scab and you go swimming it'll become soggy and you'll lose most of the tattoo! Most people won't heal within five days. For most it takes at least a week, for some, closer to two. For some, it can take up to a month. It depends on the person. If you want to trash your ink, that's fine. But five days? That's bullshit.
_________________
~Stacey Sharp

I've moved! Check out my new location: InkPulsive Custom Tattoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SharpTattoos

Artist Hardcore


Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 746
My Tattoos (0)
Tattoo Work (52)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: covering fresh tat for swimming Reply with quote

chocodog wrote:
Swimming is my main form of exercise, and I was wondering if there was a way to cover a fresh tattoo for swimming. I was hoping to get inked on both wrists, and to maybe cover it by slathering some lotion or neosporin over it and covering with some latex or something. Any advice? This is not a summer-only thing. I swim year 'round. Thanks for any advice.

p.s. It's chlorine, but it's indoors.


It doesn't matter if the water is chlorinated or not. Water can pull the ink from a tattoo if it isnt' healed. I'm sure chlorine would have a nice bleaching effect too. Covering it or suffocating it in ointment won't help. Covering can help to breed bacteria and gooping on ointment can cause the tattoo to weep and pull ink out. This is an investment. Treat it as such. A week or two out of the water wont' kill you. Make sure it's completely healed before going back in the water. Wait until any scabbing or peeling has stopped. After that you're good to go. Smile
_________________
~Stacey Sharp

I've moved! Check out my new location: InkPulsive Custom Tattoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chocodog

Enthusiast


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: covering fresh tat for swimming Reply with quote

SharpTattoos wrote:


It doesn't matter if the water is chlorinated or not. Water can pull the ink from a tattoo if it isnt' healed. I'm sure chlorine would have a nice bleaching effect too. Covering it or suffocating it in ointment won't help. Covering can help to breed bacteria and gooping on ointment can cause the tattoo to weep and pull ink out. This is an investment. Treat it as such. A week or two out of the water wont' kill you. Make sure it's completely healed before going back in the water. Wait until any scabbing or peeling has stopped. After that you're good to go. Smile


Thanks. I know it's an investment. That's why I probably won't do it. As I said up in an earlier reply, I have MS, and swimming is the one (and only) thing that makes me feel good. Otherwise, my back is spasming all over the place, and I'd rather not deal with that. Anything I can do to make it heal really fast?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tattude

Enthusiast Hardcore


Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 6550
My Tattoos (5)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to kill you to go a few days without swimming...
After about 5-6 days you can go swimming if you HAVE too, with 10 days being the industry norm.
It's not hard to wait
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Grooovy53

Enthusiast


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 14
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Tattoo Reply with quote

Hey-
-I definately would not going swimming in a pool until at least a month after you get the tattoo. You don't want to mess with an open wound like that. The chlorine could really ruin it. However, the ocean it perfectly fine! Hope that helps. -Courtney
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grooovy53

Enthusiast


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 14
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Tattoo Reply with quote

Hey-
-I definately would not going swimming in a pool until at least a month after you get the tattoo. You don't want to mess with an open wound like that. The chlorine could really ruin it. However, the ocean it perfectly fine! Hope that helps. -Courtney, Boston MA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grooovy53

Enthusiast


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 14
My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Tattoo Reply with quote

Hey-
-I definately would not going swimming in a pool until at least a month after you get the tattoo. You don't want to mess with an open wound like that. The chlorine could really ruin it. However, the ocean it perfectly fine! Hope that helps. -Courtney, Boston MA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
statefelon716

Enthusiast Hardcore


Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 162
My Tattoos (1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ a month??? it will be healed in like 10 days. And the ocean will be worse because it has salt and shrinks your skin which could fuck up a new tattoo more than a pool
_________________
Think how you want about me; Judge me how you wana judge me but Only Gods Judgement Counts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
statefelon716

Enthusiast Hardcore


Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 162
My Tattoos (1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ a month??? it will be healed in like 10 days. And the ocean will be worse because it has salt and shrinks your skin which could fuck up a new tattoo more than a pool
_________________
Think how you want about me; Judge me how you wana judge me but Only Gods Judgement Counts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
statefelon716

Enthusiast Hardcore


Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 162
My Tattoos (1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ a month??? it will be healed in like 10 days. And the ocean will be worse because it has salt and shrinks your skin which could fuck up a new tattoo more than a pool
_________________
Think how you want about me; Judge me how you wana judge me but Only Gods Judgement Counts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com Forum Index -> Tattoos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1,   
Page 1 of 2


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum