"Comic Book" Style Artist Recommendations

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

Masked_Terror

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Looks like the traditional piece I had planned to get next is on hold for a while, so I'm moving on to the next thing on my list, a piece inspired by classic 60s and 70s comic book art.

I'm not looking for a recreation of specific artwork, but rather a piece that recreates the radical POVs, bold design and clean but heavy line work of inked but NOT colored drawings from masters like Jack Kirby, Wally Wood and Jim Steranko.

This Kirby penciling is an example of the kind of unusual perspective I'm looking for-

This inked Kirby page is an example of the ultra-clean, solid black line work and shading I have in mind-

I'm sure many good artists could do justice to these styles if they were recreating a specific image, but since I'm looking for a custom image from scratch, it would be great to find an artist that had experience with this kind of material, had done some similar work before and, best case scenario, was familiar with the artists and artwork that are inspiring the piece.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
CxCx
Verified

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:00 pm

hit up some local shops. When you talk to the artist and he asks what you're looking for, simply play "first response" with him. Just say "I'll say a phrase and you tell me what springs to mind fist". After he agrees, simply say :

"Jack...Kirby"

If his first response is "King", then you've found your man. If he says "Who?", simply leave the shop.

I'd say use "Wally...Wood", but his first response may be "Shotgun", and, while that may make him your artist of choice, it would just simply be in poor taste
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 pm

I think the best one would be Electrick Pick

www.electricpick.com

He and Jesse Smith will be doing a mini USA tour this year. If you like his stuff, hit him up!
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:34 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:Or

www.markheggie.com
Mark owns the shop with the guy doing my work on Saturday, and the other guy whos done alot of my work. Mark has a real unique style. I'm trying to come up with a detroit based peice for him. He's a cool guy and does some cool work....
Masked_Terror

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Some great work there, thanks.

Electricpick's stuff is great. He's much more New School than what I had in mind, but you can tell he'd be able to do the Kirby style if he was interested in doing it. Might have to reach out to him.

And Cx, while I see the logic in your approach, there's a big difference between appreciating Kirby as the best ever and being able to capture his magic. If just beinga fan was enough, I'd be a hell of an artist.

Any additional suggestions are more than welcome.
green_girl
Hardcore

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:13 pm

EvilJay wrote:
PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:Or

www.markheggie.com
Mark owns the shop with the guy doing my work on Saturday, and the other guy whos done alot of my work. Mark has a real unique style. I'm trying to come up with a detroit based peice for him. He's a cool guy and does some cool work....
No shit, :) I met Mark at NIX last year. Very cool take on tattoos, he's a nice guy, and a character! He was pretty frustrated by the gawkers (tight both) by the time I was coming around taking pictures. I would recommend Mark too, check out his style first though.
CxCx
Verified

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:19 pm

you missed my point. The artists you should be talking to should be GREAT artsist already. If you're talking to amedicre artsist, than i don't understand your logic on the matter.

The fact that the artist is Great should be a GIVEN, since you're spending time talking to him. With that out of the way, if a great artsist KNOWS, has STUDIED, and is a huge FAN of Jack "King" Kirby, than he's OBVIOUSLY going to rise to the occassion and do a great piece in kirby's style.

If it's simply a great tattoo artist that you've given a pile of refernce material to, you'r piece, while being technically proficient and done well, won't have that certain extra *Spark*.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:28 pm

green_girl wrote:No shit, :) I met Mark at NIX last year. Very cool take on tattoos, he's a nice guy, and a character!
Yeah, he's definitally a character... He took that pic of my arm tat that I posted here...
Masked_Terror

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:43 pm

No doubt, Cx, the more I think about it, the more I realize it definitely has to be someone who worships at the Kirby alter.
spideytat
Hardcore

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:00 pm

weird im going to be having a lil jack kirby "memorial" thingy in my fantastic four piece basicly his name and birth and death dates. i love the 60's art and early 70's work too but then most of my comic tattoos are all work from the 90's cause thats the art and stuff i grew up on so kinda makes sence :P good luck in finding an artist to pull it off just right! :)