Does this tattoo mean anything?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Kerr

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:44 pm

Looking for some info on this double band forearm tattoo. I have been searching and searching to find out what it means. I was watching a show the other night called "Taboo", now in that show they had a quick thing about marking people in Japanese prisons, so people would know what crime they committed. It was very fast and I think I saw a drawing of this tattoo. Maybe that is the right direction, I don't know.

Thanks for the help

Kerr

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:21 pm

Bump for some fresh eyes. I can't believe its been a year and four months since I posted this. Where does the time go...
Motokid
Hardcore

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Wow....I'm not sure what forum smart-ass etiquette is for people who resurrect their own dead threads....
Kerr

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:32 pm

The thread didn't die, it was waiting, like Chuck Norris.
yorvo
Hardcore

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:37 pm

This guy's good.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:46 pm

yorvo wrote:This guy's good.
yeah he is
SweetSubversive
Hardcore

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:02 pm

http://www.cooltattoofinder.com/armband ... too-design

This site doesn't look too credible but it's a starting point. It mentions the crime thing but nothing real specific, if you're really that interested just google further based off the info in this page, I'm sure if there is a meaning it's out there.

Then again some tattoos like this are just there for the aesthetics

http://www.everytattoo.com/ankle-bands-picture.shtml

(borrowed your pic choo)
Kerr

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks Sweet, I appreciate the reply. I have already tried searching "Japanese prison tattoo", "Japanese prisonor tattoo", "Japanese band tattoo", all with no luck. I can't think of any other combination to search. I've also been trying "forearm band tattoo", "double band tattoo", "solid band arm tattoo", and many other variants, all obviously with no luck.

The only other place I have seen this tattoo was on Indians, (Native Americans), or possibly Ancient Aztec's. Could mean nothing, just aesthetic like you said. I just want to know for sure.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

I just clicked your "My Tattoos", you look pretty hot. Congratulations.
SweetSubversive
Hardcore

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Um, thanks, haha.

Anyways, I was bored so I pulled up some more stuff. And I started my search out with "armband tattoo meaning" then "mark of prisoner tattoo japan arm" and went from there.

From Wikipedia
Japan

Main article: Irezumi

Tattooing for spiritual and decorative purposes in Japan is thought to extend back to at least the Jōmon or Paleolithic period (approximately 10,000 BCE) and was widespread during various periods for both the Japanese and the native Ainu. Chinese visitors observed and remarked on the tattoos in Japan (300 BCE).

Between 1603 - 1868 Japanese tattooing was only practiced by the "ukiyo-e" (The floating world culture). generally firemen, manual workers and prostitutes wore tattoos which communicated their status. Between 1720 - 1870 Criminals were tattooed as a visible mark of punishment, this actually replaced having ears and noses removed. A criminal would often receive a single ring on their arm for each crime committed which easily conveyed their criminality. This practice was eventually abolished by the "Meji" government who banned the art of tattooing altogether, viewing it as barbaric and unrespectable, this subsequently forced a sub culture of criminals and outcasts, many of whom were the old Samurai warriors ("Ronin" - Master less). These people had no place in "decent society" and were frowned upon, they were kept separate and simply could not integrate into mainstream society because of their obvious visible tattoos, this forced them into criminal activities which ultimately formed the roots for the modern Japanese mafia - "Yakuza" for which tattoos in Japan have almost become synonymous .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tattooing#Japan

Here's something else, but I think this guy stole this from Wikipedia http://offbeatink.com/general/criminal-tattoos/

So, yeah, unless someone else chimes in that's all I've got to offer for ya, your lucky I hadn't started drinking yet :wink:
choo
Hardcore

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:00 pm

my ankles are just for aesthetics...

few of my mates have the two single black lines, they just like the look to my knowlage.
Kerr

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 am

Wow Sweet, thanks again. So far it doesn't have a very good meaning, but I guess if no one is up on their historic Japanese knowledge, I'm in the clear. I just like the way it looks, simple, clean, just nice in my opinion.

Anyways, good research, very kick ass. I couldn't find anything.
crackednut
Hardcore

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:25 am

I know Yakuza have black rings tattooed on them when they do certain deeds for their leader. One for each crime...but I'm guessing it has to be of a certain caliber.

For more info, try looking up "Yakuza tattoo" and "Bakuto"
Kerr

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:37 pm

ebaliart wrote:You can find it here Tattoo Symbol and Meaning
Did you see it on there? Or is that just a general "Tattoo Meaning" website?

Thanks for it though.
sinoftheskin

Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:44 pm

I could be totally off base, but I thought I remember an interview with him and they were in remeberence of a friend or something...could be wrong
Kerr

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Hmmm, I tried searching around for an interview, and a basic search for his name and tattoo. Its just mentioned that he has it, couldn't find anything where he talks about it. I'm going to keep searching. Thanks for the direction.