Does Weight lifting/body building mess up tattoos?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

TheVirus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am

Well, I've wanted some tattoos for a while, but I'm also lifting weights, to get bigger. I've basically just started so I got a lot of room to grow.
I was wondering if I got one now would it get messed up if I keep getting bigger, like get streached out.
Also, how big of a factor does acne play, such as I have some on my back and some scars too, would they mess it up any?

Thanks!
Aivanne
Hardcore

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:54 am

search a bit. tons of thread on the subject.

acne can affect the ink absorbtion for sure. go and show an artist, it depends upon the severity of it.
TheVirus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 am

I searched for it, but didn't see anything
Could you link me to one?
spideytat
Hardcore

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:57 am

how many times have we heard this exact question? dude if you had taken like 10 mins out to search you wouldve found the answers
Aivanne
Hardcore

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:11 am

in resume:

except if you double your arm size in like 10 days, your tat will look fine. make sure you moisterize it before you go and work out.

for the acne/scar tissue, we can't tell you. Only a local artist will be able to help.
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:12 am

It's probably the same guy asking the same question over and over and over again with different user names.

has to be.... :?
TheVirus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:09 pm

spideytat wrote:how many times have we heard this exact question? dude if you had taken like 10 mins out to search you wouldve found the answers
And I did and didn't see anything.
Why do you feel the need to be a dick about it?
jamison
Hardcore

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 pm

TheVirus wrote:
spideytat wrote:how many times have we heard this exact question? dude if you had taken like 10 mins out to search you wouldve found the answers
Because you obviously didn't search too hard, he's not being a dick he's being pretty tame for this forum. But even if you just looked

Maybe a minute tops worth of work.http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooforum/ ... ift+weight
TheVirus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 pm

jamison wrote:
TheVirus wrote:
Because you obviously didn't search too hard, he's not being a dick he's being pretty tame for this forum. But even if you just looked

Maybe a minute tops worth of work.http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooforum/ ... ift+weight
Is the arm the only place it matters?
Or does the back/legs/chest matter as much if at all
magnumman
Hardcore

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:30 am

Matter in what way? Arms or wherever, you'll be fine. Obviously a lot of big guys have tattoos. I was just told to take a little break while it's healing.
ebaliart

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 am

Tattoos will stretch and shrink, but only within limits. Moderate and gradual weight gain or loss will have little effect on a tattoo except to stretch and shrink it accordingly. Think of birthday balloons that are slightly overinflated and underinflated. You can still read "Happy Birthday" pretty easily and the letters maintain their relative spacing and composition. However, other types of rapid weight gain or loss could be another matter. For example, women who are considering having children might want to think twice about an abdominal tattoo placement. Similarly, men who are planning on getting seriously into bodybuilding might want to reconsider their upper armband. Stretch marks (often associated with pregnancy but which can also afflict all women as well as men) can also appear on the arms, thighs, and buttocks and even the hips and lower back.

---------------------------
www.tattoobody.com
green_girl
Hardcore

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 pm

The acne question is searchable in threads too! Make sure to check with your artist first. My artist runs over my acne. I don't have many acne scars, just stretching scars. Everything has been tattooed and is turning out well so far.
evanisagg

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 pm

I've read a lot and heard from an artist that it will take rapid and extreme changes to affect a tattoo, but I still have questions.

I was thinking about having a script like font wrapping around my upper bicep/tricep. Since the letters would be small, would there be a higher change of them warping or becoming blurry?
AWilliams
Hardcore

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 am

hey evenssack this thread is almost 2 years old.
Angertank
Hardcore

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 pm

AWilliams wrote:hey evenssack this thread is almost 2 years old.
The guy probably actually used the Search function instead of starting a new thread - let's cut him some slack until he really fucks up.