Apprenticeship or scam?

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

AdrianaMichelle

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Does anyone here have tips on finding an apprenticeship? I have heard that they are really hard to find, however, every place I have gone to so far(that is looking for an apprentice) has loved my work and said they would let me join the team.

The first place was charging 10,000 and had a 5 year contract. They talked with me for quite sometime and looked closel at my portfolio. Another place only wanted 2,500 in payments. Both the artist there loved my work and contacted the owner while I was there. The most recent place only wanted $1,500 and just sort of skimmed through my portfolio quickly and said sure. They had no contract though. All of those three places have been in buisness for at least 7 years and the artists have been tattooing from 6-10 years.

Who am I suppose to trust? What do I look out for?

Any help would be appreciated.
anthoync
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 pm

AdrianaMichelle wrote:Does anyone here have tips on finding an apprenticeship? I have heard that they are really hard to find, however, every place I have gone to so far(that is looking for an apprentice) has loved my work and said they would let me join the team.

The first place was charging 10,000 and had a 5 year contract. They talked with me for quite sometime and looked closel at my portfolio. Another place only wanted 2,500 in payments. Both the artist there loved my work and contacted the owner while I was there. The most recent place only wanted $1,500 and just sort of skimmed through my portfolio quickly and said sure. They had no contract though. All of those three places have been in buisness for at least 7 years and the artists have been tattooing from 6-10 years.

Who am I suppose to trust? What do I look out for?

Any help would be appreciated.
dont pay those scumbags shit.
AdrianaMichelle

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Why not? I mean, lots of legitimate and big tattoo parlors will charge for their apprenticeships. You're saying I should find one for free? That's prety difficult, but trust me I'm looking. What makes you say that though? What seems scumbaggish about them?
Gloom
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:12 pm

man, there is just way too many people out there looking to get apprenticeships now. Must be the whole L.A./Miami Ink craze. Here's the sticky about apprenticeships: http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooforum/ ... php?t=2118

hope this helps.
AdrianaMichelle

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Believe it or not I've never watched those shows. I've heard artists mention that same point though. The whole popularity of it and shit. I've been drawing my whole life and looking into tattooing since highschool. I've been going to college for Animation for a year now and just recently looked into apprenticeships.

Thanks for that thread. It was very informative, however, I still don't know whether to trust these people or not. Should I look for a free apprenticeship and do i need to sign a contract? I would think it would be more legit that way but I'm asking you guys' opinions since you would know.
reefdiver
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:40 pm

AdrianaMichelle wrote: I still don't know whether to trust these people or not.
i guess you could treat it like any other thing that you are considering spending money on.......ask them for some referrals of happy apprentices, that have become artists, that they have tutored..........then contact them to see whassup.......

if they can't provide that, then you've also got your answer...
Gloom
Hardcore

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Really, we can't make the decision for you. It's unfortunate but, even if you posted us links to their sites, w/o knowing the artist(s) firsthand we can't say whether they're someone you can trust or not.

If you have the money to spend and you don't mind paying, it may be a good experience for you. However, offering an apprenticeship for thousands of dollars w/o having ever even seen that person around your shop before kinda reeks of fishiness to me.

I would visit more places, possibly entertain the notion of moving to a different county, city, or state if I wasn't able to find anyone around me who was willing to do it for free.

If I really HAD to pay, I would make damn sure to have a contract that states I was going to be a certified trained professional once they were done with me.

Just stay determined and if it's something you're really passionate about, your enthusiasm will get noticed eventually. Sometimes it's not about how talented you are, but how hungry.
moparstar18

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:50 pm

i say if you like how the artist does his/her work and you like there art form and would like to learn the same. then money should not be an option and take the opertunity while you can.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:57 am

You're going to be dating this person for the next 5 years and potentially learning your entire skill set for your future career and lifestyle. I would get to know someone real good before you drop the coin.

Tattoo artists are like any other profession. Some you could hang with all day, some are just assholes. You need to find someone who is cool, a good instructer, and talented before you sign up for anything. Walking in off the street and saying "wat do youcharge for an apprehticship" is not sufficient.

I wouldnt let the money necesarily turn you away, but the best apprenticships seem to come free with alot of hard work...
arebirt

Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:05 am

I've never met a tattooer that paid for their apprenticeship. I didn't pay for mine. You'll get an apprenticeship by showing that you have a good understanding of art and providing a portfolio of the art. You also need to be at the right place at the right time. Plenty of people want apprenticeships, most tattooers honestly don't have the time. If they do have the time they will want to see what you have to offer because finding an apprentice is easy for tattooer, an artist hoping to turn into a tattooer is harder.
choo
Hardcore

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:32 am

my artist charges his apprentice, didn't give me a figure though; they kinda keep it hush hush and only mention it to serious applicants. All his apprentices (the ones that kept clean / aren't idiots) have all worked out well and iv seen some move back to their old areas or stay on working at the shop.

ask yourself something: do plummers, electricians ect ect pay for their education? make sure that you know what your getting into in advance (possibly ask for a trail? or better yet hang around the shop and get a few tattoos from these artists: see how you mesh) I however dont see any issue with paying.
arebirt

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:57 am

so I guess that in 8 years that I've been tattooing, the fact that I never met a tattooer that paid for an apprenticeship doesn't mean anything...

As I said, it has more to do being in the right place at the right time and being a good artist and a good person. Most tattooers I know have taken on apprentices when the time was right, not because the money was right. If money was the incentive to teach somebody (which it can be) than they'd apprentice all kinds of hacks. Which is more often the case, most paid for apprentices go on to get fired before they learn anything and usually lose a good chunk of change in the process. It's a little known secret that it's simply implied that people pay for them. It's a way of saying no I don't want an apprentice without saying a person is a moron with no talent. By placing a price on something in a an amount that most people can't afford it keeps people fro asking. That's why, as I have said I have never once met a tattooer that paid for it. NEVER EVER EVER. Because if a person is worth it and in the right place it will come along. Most anybody charging for it is more than liking trying to take your money. I am not joking about this, I am not making it up it's more than often the case. I have however known many guys that have charged dumb ass kids for apprenticeships and tossed them out after they got a grand or two out of them. It's normal, it's a classic hustle done by two bit shitty tattooers that can't tattoo that seek to fuck over people.

Now I am not saying it's impossible, there might be some people that practice this. I have never once met one, and I know a lot of tattooers and have worked with a lot and I have never met a good tattooer that paid for one. I have however met many young people that got screwed and ended up working out of their houses after losing some money and still never found a legitimate apprenticeship. It has more to do with being a hard worker, with a good portfolio and the right attitude. I have never witnessed it working any other way.

I swear.
arebirt

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 am

Again I'd like to add I've never seen it. I am not saying that it can't happen, I've just never seen it. As far as being a certified tattoo artist you don't need an apprenticeship. It's legal paper work and up to date blood borne pathogen training. Anybody that takes a training coarse and passes can pay some city fees and be a certified body art technician. It's bullshit on the highest degree. That's why the mere term scratcher shouldn't just be reserved for people in their houses, most "professional" tattooers fall in same group. The system is so ass backwards it's funny to me. Absolutely any dumb asshole can pay for that, have not idea how to tattoo, buy equipment and be open for business. Now this is in most States, I am sure states it varies, but generally speaking that's why there is so many bad tattooers. To many goofs want in on this industry and when they cant find a door they just make one and open it. Abracadabra another shitty tattoo shop just opens it's doors. If you want to know why it's so hard to get a good apprenticeship that's why. Because tattooers are the only ones policing this industry. The government doesn't know how to classify what we do, because it's art and art is subjective there is no law against sucking, just laws about being up to health Department standards and buying business licenses and other regististration fees. That's it no big secret, not real certification nothing.

Some people might think I am letting some cat out of the bag, but that's the truth... What I am trying to point out is that's why so many people will continue to get bad tattoos and so many people will continue to make bad tattoos, because most people getting tattooed don't care to look at portfolios. Make appointments with the first shop they walk in to and the first artist that they meet. They come to conclusions based on how nice somebody is, think that most good tattooers are pretentious because they are busy, don't have time. If a tattooer trys to talk them out of their bad ideas they are instantly considered an asshole. If they don't like how much the tattooer charges they go some place cheaper, but really they are just going some place shitty, but hey they got a sign on the door they got their (Tattoo Licence) whatever that is... You all get what I am saying, there's just no more room for hacks. That's why it's so hard to get and apprenticeship. I am not trying to be an asshole, I am just pointing out things to be pointed out is all.
arebirt

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:23 am

Before I let this go I am not claiming anything about any individuals. I am just stating what I have seen and experienced with this industry. So please don't take any of this as an insult to anybody posting. It's just how things are is all.
dan_T_jones
Hardcore

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 am

That's very interesting arebirt. I am not an artist nor do I have any vested interest in the tattoo industry but for what it is worth I think the whole community needs to step up and do something proactive, cohesive and resolute in addressing this problem of quality control.

I agree that it is poor form for governments across the world to refuse to recognise tattooing as a legitimate industry that needs bureaucratic regulation and administration. However this attitude will never change if everyday, properly trained artists decide not to bother rectifying it. Unless the industry forms a united from and creates industry standards that should be adhered to the government will never bother trying to update it's antiquated legislation.

There needs to be an association where EVERY legit studio in America, Australia etc is a member and adheres to the set guidelines concerning quality control, shop hygiene, apprenticing & training etc. It is vital that every decent studio embraces this because it only takes a few genuine shops not to be members for the whole idea to go to shit. It needs to be important to the customer that while this guy charges more the bloke down the road isn't a member of the ...Association. This way the industry starts to do its own house cleaning and is a lot closer to be federally recognised as a proper Industry. [/u]