Unhappy w/Tattoo... what to do?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Mormo

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello! New here and I have a question for you all...

So, I had a tattoo done about a year ago. It's a large beetle on the top center of my back... and it turned out not so great... it has an extra set of antenna... it looks messy around the legs, he forgot to give it eyes, and the wings and the body are sloppy.

Because it was on my back I couldn't watch what he was doing, but I can't fathom how anyone could mess up like that, with extra antenna. The lack of eyes is just a mistake but...

Is it at all possible that the ink he used as a guideline could still be visible after almost a year?? The extra antenna and the lines around the legs are very light... still noticeable though.

That's not my question though...

in your opinion, do you think it can be salvaged?

The ink is that blue-ish green color. Is it possible to cover over it with black and white and colors? If those extra antenna are permanent maybe have the beetle sitting on a leaf or something... I don't know...

I just want to be happy with it. Any advice?

EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Get it lasered or just sunburn the shit out of it a few times(the less responsible but cheaper alternative), then get it covered. It does look like shit, but the ink is very poorly applied and didnt hold very well. Shouldnt take much to fade it and cover it. Research your next "artist" and go to an actual professional. How big overall is this. Was this done in a shop? It's horrible...
Mormo

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm

I had a terrible sunburn on my back 2 years ago and have awful sun damage already... hence the spotty skin.

It was done in a shop... and I wasn't impressed with them at all. It's about 3-4 inches long or so...

So it can't just be covered up? :(

If I get it removed can it all be effectively covered up? And look good?

On a side note... If the tattoo artist really did make mistakes, do know if it's possible to be compensated for that?
EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm

You can technically cover anything up, but whats there now is going to show through. The lighter it is, theless it will show through.

As far as being compensated... It's kind of a "Buyer Beware" game..
escapeartist
Hardcore

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Before I read what you wrote I thought (and still do) that the other, lighter lines are shadows.
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Looks like it can be salvaged... but you're going to need a good artist. Not just anyone is going to be able to fix it. I mean, the original artist didn't even do it justice. And I agree with the other guys... that shading and light antenna that your seeing is a really poorly done drop shadow.
super_sam
Hardcore

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:08 pm

I would just get "pissant" written in bold print below it...
Mormo

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:06 pm

One of the extra antenna is coming out of the leg... it doesn't seem like it's supposed to be a shadow... unless the guy was a real dumbass.

One a side note... it's not as lopsided as it looks in the photo. Taking a photo of your own back is kinda tricky ;)

but, it really isn't how I wanted it done.

If I had put more thought into it I'd probably have had it done more like this drawing:

...regrets.

I suppose I'll start looking for a good artist in this city.