Stop spreading MRSA GET STERILE >>>>

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

xXQUIZITx

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:50 am

Scratchers make me sick :evil: they ruin the industry and bring illness to people who in turn get sick get shit on there skin and then go to an artist (like me ) and want it to be made into a masterpiece .......screw that i hate that ... :evil: .. I think some people deserve to keep the crap they let some wanna be give them.....Hey and i know yuo have got to learn somewhere and start somewhere But ppl that place is in a apprenticeship!!!!!
Learn how to sterilize your tools and about BBP and CC you can make someone sick for life and go to jail even ....
There are ppl in my town spreading MRSA like you would not Believe and it makes me sick I took an apprenticeship for 3 years and still learning .. Ofcourse I wanted to Tattoo right away but I had more respect for what I w :evil: anted as a career than to Gamble with it.......you got to pay your dues in this industry its not just a hobby or a cool thing to do this is a carrer , a job, and a lifestyle you have got to earn it... It doesn't matter how good you THINK you are or how Cool you Think it is .....DAMN!!!!!!! :twisted:
Last edited by xXQUIZITx on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Of course we all love to bitch about scratchers and make fun of their work, but scratchers are a fact of life and will always be there. Get used to them and learn to enjoy all the extra money you make fixing or covering up their shit.

Tattooing has been a folk art (i.e. home-based primitive art form) for centuries (even millennia) and really only became a "professional" trade within the last 100 years or so.

I have a much bigger problem with the scratchers who go "legit" and actually hang a shingle for their own street shop, for they are the ones that really make the real pros look bad. If you go to a kitchen table scratcher, you deserve what you get and actually probably expect inferior work. But these street shop scratchers prey on an unsuspecting public who naturally assume they'll get professional quality work from any so-called "professional" shop.

"Professional" scratchers are also the ones taking a slice of our proverbial pie, where as the home-scratcher's normal "client" would likely never pay our prices anyway.
xXQUIZITx

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Yes I know there will always be (scratchers) people who want to tattoo and do... And i do not mean to be mean or downgrade what they are doing But You really must take into consideration that there BBI ,BBP and CC to worry about you can spread disease if you are not extremely careful thats all I
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:14 pm

As I said, people who go to home scratchers deserve what they get . . be it bad work or something worse. They know the risks and possibility of both going in and choose to do it anyway, so fuck 'em.
eyesawred

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:19 pm

xXQUIZITx wrote:There are ppl in my town spreading Mercer like you would not Believe and it makes me sick
I think MRSA is the word (acronym, really) you wanted. Perhaps you should read up on it.
threesixafix
Hardcore

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:02 pm

eyesawred wrote:
xXQUIZITx wrote:There are ppl in my town spreading Mercer like you would not Believe and it makes me sick
I think MRSA is the word (acronym, really) you wanted. Perhaps you should read up on it.
Thats funny yall mention MRSA. Ive had it 3 times in the last year. :x
phantommenace
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ,... holy shiit , how did you end up with that ?
dan_T_jones
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:23 am

MattCrunk wrote: I have a much bigger problem with the scratchers who go "legit" and actually hang a shingle for their own street shop, for they are the ones that really make the real pros look bad. If you go to a kitchen table scratcher, you deserve what you get and actually probably expect inferior work. But these street shop scratchers prey on an unsuspecting public who naturally assume they'll get professional quality work from any so-called "professional" shop.

"Professional" scratchers are also the ones taking a slice of our proverbial pie, where as the home-scratcher's normal "client" would likely never pay our prices anyway.
This shit is why the industry needs an apprenticeship programme endorsed by the government or at the very least some organised tattoo body. At least then a customer knows he/she is getting a tattoo from a bloke with basically no training.
Jase71
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:51 am

Apart from disease, is it just possible that some of these 'scratchers' might just come out of their backyards and become reputable industry giants ? Sure, it's totally fucked if people end up with blood-borne complications, but I wonder how many of today's renowned artists may have cut some corners in their early days as struggling self-taught tattooists ?
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 am

Of course, it's very possible. But, that person has to have the talent, motivation and brains to move beyond home tattooing. Funny... the really talented artists I've known that started out on their own will advise a person to get an apprenticeship if they want to know the best way to learn how to tattoo. Why? Because you really can't teach yourself something you don't know... not when it comes to this. There are too many variables. IMO, no one is ever truly self-taught. You've got to learn it from somewhere...
xXQUIZITx

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 am

Jase71 wrote:Apart from disease, is it just possible that some of these 'scratchers' might just come out of their backyards and become reputable industry giants ? Sure, it's totally fucked if people end up with blood-borne complications, but I wonder how many of today's renowned artists may have cut some corners in their early days as struggling self-taught tattooists ?
I know I may have come off a bit rude and Bitchin but i was just blowin off some steam this kid I had been working on a sleeve for the past 3 months descided to let someone add to it out of there home ....
And three weeks later he comes to me asking if I could fix what the other guy (scratcher) did to him and my work ......Well, I said not much seeing is how ther are huge puss infested swollen shit mountains on my koi and blossoms that I had tattoo'd on him I just told him to go to the hospital right then and get out of the shop before someone else sees that shit..... I mean he should have went to that guy in the first place ar atleast let him put his crap for art somewhere else than where I had been working .....ruined my piece and now I told him I would not finish ......

Anyways I was blowing off steam when I originally posted this artical and did not mean to offend ppl whe I did so.....I am sure there are professional artist that did the same thing but either way eventually you have got to pay the dues in this industry one way or another
Jase71
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 am

XXQ, don't apologize, if you're an artist then let your rage be heard. I was just throwing in another point of view.

I have occasionally seen artist portfolios (in-demand artists) where they say 'self taught' and thought 'whoa man, what the fuck did he/she do to people' before they got to the stage of being credible.

I'm not condoning bad practices, but surely there are some 'scratchers' out there that have a level of hygiene, even without an autoclave.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Jase71 wrote: I wonder how many of today's renowned artists may have cut some corners in their early days as struggling self-taught tattooists ?
There have been a few, but very few. And of those, I don't know of any who wasn't working in a professional shop within a few short months of starting to "scratch." Most of them will tell you they already had friends in the business who gave them at least some kind of guidance too. So I agree that none of them learned totally on their own.

The simple fact is, if you're talented enough to become a "giant of the industry" then you should have no problem finding a proper apprenticeship from the start.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:31 pm

dan_T_jones wrote:This shit is why the industry needs an apprenticeship programme endorsed by the government or at the very least some organised tattoo body. At least then a customer knows he/she is getting a tattoo from a bloke with basically no training.
I agree, Dan. Not the way Oregon mandates attending state-endorsed "tattoo schools" (which are a rip-off), but more the way my neighboring state of Tennesse does it: They require proof of a (two year, I believe) apprenticeship in an existing state-licensed shop before you can open your own shop.
trevcam11
Hardcore

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm

phantommenace wrote:Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ,... holy shiit , how did you end up with that ?
Sadly it's actually becoming more and more common. I had it last semester and my elbow swelled up like a balloon and I had lay in the hospital 3 days with a vacuum (literally, it was called like the vacusuck3000 or some shit) attached to my elbow sucking everything out. It was a god awful pain. MRSA is just new and there isn't a lot known about it and it's resistant to antibiotics which is a bitch. It's a serious issue in hospitals and I *think* all disinfectants now have to be MRSA killing or whatever.