would really like your help with a chest tattoo

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

talper

Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:27 pm

hello,
im interested in a chest tattoo, and wanted to get something with meaning and not some random paint i like.
i wanted to tattoo a buddha and i want it on the chest so i can see it as much as i can. (in oppose to a back tattoo).

i found a very nice sketch that i reall liked:

but the problem is im pretty thin, so i dont have as much space as heavier people have.
i also really dont want it to touch the nipple(i want it to be of the left of the right nipple..), but i dont want to go crazy too much and fill my entire chest.

i also edited it a little and deleted the lotus(which people said is very pretty but also very detailed and hard to do on a chest):

it will be very nice i think without the lotus, as i want to put to words from left and right to the buddha in the circles.

ive been to tattoo artist here and asked them(live in israel), they say they can do the first sketch also on the chest(the full with lotus) and it will cost 162-250 dollars, depending on detailes.
i fear it will fill too much of my chest, and i also cant really afford those amounts(i know its for life and worth it, but still).

its all black and white with no colors.
i dont have problem of loosing the lotus, and maybe make the im not sure how you call it in english, but all this detaile thigs around him and above, less detailed/change them to be easier.

i would really like to get your help, maybe take the buddha and the circles, and get ideas to another, easier design with this image?
how big my tattoo should be in order for the artist to be able to draw it on the chest?

big thank you for all your help.
deathandoreos
Hardcore

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:14 pm

#1 that is cheap as hell for what you are asking
#2 i think the lotus looks better on there
#3 i dont see why size would be a problem!!!

looks like it will be a cool tattoo if done right
girlchocolate
Hardcore

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:29 pm

yeah i'd like a full body suit...is it cool that i've only got a couple hundred?
talper

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:16 pm

how can you compare a full body suit, to a chest tattoo(that cover 1/5-1/6 of the chest+torso)?
greeneyez2

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Maybe if the space is as limited as you fear, then what if you took the circle away behind the image and left the lotus flowers instead? You could still have some faded shading behind him and have it look more popped out and not so bare....just my thoughts.
dan_T_jones
Hardcore

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

A Buddhist in Israel hey? That's interesting. I agree with what other people are saying, a couple of hundred dollars doesn't sound like enough for a tattoo like that man. If you're worried about size just get Buddha by himself, that should fit quite nicely into where you want it to go.
Angertank
Hardcore

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:34 am

Why not consider what is happening to the symbol when you remove the lotus? Buddhist iconography is pretty formal. Find a design that works rather than taking a piece of traditional religious symbolism and hacking it up while still wanting it to be "meaningful."
yorvo
Hardcore

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:51 am

It's a great image that will look good on your chest. Just take the paisley detail out of the lotus. I would do it bigger though, to do it justice. If you're a skinny guy then your chest is probably flat. Place it so the knees are about where your nipples are. Then make it as big as will fit.
aDos

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:22 pm

The lotus is important to the symbolism, but if you don't want it don't keep it on there. It's your tattoo.

I like the idea
talper

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:28 am

THANKS EVERYBODY...
im not picking up on things, and i know the lotus is an important buddhist symbol.
im looking for something that will remind me the way i want to live every day(thats why its in the chest so i can see), and the buddha is that thing.
the lotus is just an accesory, which increasing the tattoo by pretty much alot of size.
i have the money issue and also the size issue, as im not sure it can fit nicely to my chest with the lotus, as im pretty thin.

but again, it does look more beautiful with the lotus.
cv4

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:09 pm

talper wrote:THANKS EVERYBODY...
im not picking up on things, and i know the lotus is an important buddhist symbol.
im looking for something that will remind me the way i want to live every day(thats why its in the chest so i can see), and the buddha is that thing.
the lotus is just an accesory, which increasing the tattoo by pretty much alot of size.
i have the money issue and also the size issue, as im not sure it can fit nicely to my chest with the lotus, as im pretty thin.

but again, it does look more beautiful with the lotus.
1. Don't skimp on a tattoo because of money. It gets said way too often, but this shit is on your body for life (or until you want to pay even more for lazers).
2. In this case, bigger is better, so you have to decide how big you will go.
MichaelVincent

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Unless you have the body of a 10 year old boy the size is not going to be an issue.