Marni Yang murder trial

Talk about anything....

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid

suzridesahog
Hardcore

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Here is something that some of you might find interesting....
I was on the jury for the Mari Yang murder trial. She is the women who shot and killed ex-Chicago Bear Shaun Gayle's girlfriend and unborn child. It was a very interesting experience and I was happy to do my civic duty.
Marni Yang seemed unattached and distant throughout the entire (almost) 3 week trial. The only time I saw any emotion was when her daughter and mother were testifying against her. She didn't even react when they showed the pictures of her victim. I especially couldn't believe that she didn't react when the verdict was read and was found guilty on all counts of murder in the first degree.
She is being sentenced April 29 and I can't wait to find out how long she is going to jail. Apparently in the state of Illinois with a murder conviction she will have to serve a minimum of 45 years (at least in this case). So, she will certainly be in jail/prison well into her late 80s.
If you are unfamiliar with this story here is a link:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/4330 ... riend.html
buttwheat
Hardcore

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 pm

That would be cool to be involved with a big trail like that.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 pm

It says there were two recorded conversations involving Marni describing the murder. If this is true, why did the jury take 4 hours to deliberate? I'm just curious is all. It's a shame what happened, but neat that you got to be on the jury.
yorvo
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 am

I've always ignored my jury duty requests. Had one a month or so ago. I couldn't do it.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 am

I've never had a request. I have heard somewhere though that being married to a lawyer could get me eliminated from jury selection; if I ever get picked I'll have to find out if that's true.
drifter73
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:30 pm

In San Antonio, Texas, if you fail to go to jury duty you can be arrested and if you don't qualify for jury duty, they now require you to PAY a notary to stamp the jury request next to the reason you can't appear.

So basically, if you don't qualify when they send you the notice, even if their databases should have already indicated you don't qualify, they force you to pay or be arrested.

I just went through this ordeal 2 months ago with a jury summons. It was quite upsetting to be honest.

Welcome to San Antonio, Texas folks.
Stubarber
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 pm

I'd be quite happy to perform, but quite honestly by the time we made it through even a short trial my one-man business operation would be history.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

drifter73 wrote:In San Antonio, Texas, if you fail to go to jury duty you can be arrested and if you don't qualify for jury duty, they now require you to PAY a notary to stamp the jury request next to the reason you can't appear.

So basically, if you don't qualify when they send you the notice, even if their databases should have already indicated you don't qualify, they force you to pay or be arrested.

I just went through this ordeal 2 months ago with a jury summons. It was quite upsetting to be honest.

Ouch :( How much did they get you for, if you don't mind my asking?
drifter73
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm

kohlhaas wrote:
drifter73 wrote:In San Antonio, Texas, if you fail to go to jury duty you can be arrested and if you don't qualify for jury duty, they now require you to PAY a notary to stamp the jury request next to the reason you can't appear.

Well, Notary's have different rates in different counties / states. It wasn't to bad here, I paid $7.00 for notary + Postage at the UPS store. It was more the point I had to pay when they should have already known I was disqualified from being in the jury with a past felony on record.

I've seen Notary rates between $5 and $25, so someones getting some good forced business out of the deal :)

I think the most aggravating part was, the feeling of .. hahaha, we know you don't qualify, but if you don't pay & get that document back to us within 7 days we will issue a warrant for your arrest & then you'll have to pay a few hundred dollar bail + court costs + attorney fees.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 pm

drifter73 wrote:
kohlhaas wrote:

Well, Notary's have different rates in different counties / states. It wasn't to bad here, I paid $7.00 for notary + Postage at the UPS store. It was more the point I had to pay when they should have already known I was disqualified from being in the jury with a past felony on record.

I've seen Notary rates between $5 and $25, so someones getting some good forced business out of the deal :)

I think the most aggravating part was, the feeling of .. hahaha, we know you don't qualify, but if you don't pay & get that document back to us within 7 days we will issue a warrant for your arrest & then you'll have to pay a few hundred dollar bail + court costs + attorney fees.
Yeah, definite bullshit. It's retarded having to be backed into a corner in that way when it shouldn't have come up in the first place. Laame.
butterfliesanddragons

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Her own mum testified against her, huh? Dont think that I read that.
What did you think of the psychic?
Was there doubt in the jury room?
suzridesahog
Hardcore

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Her Mother testified to the fact that she brought several guns to her house and hid them in a closet. When the police searched the Mother's house they found several guns... but not a 9mm. Rhonni Reuter was killed by a 9mm. Marni got a 9mm from an Uncle that passed away (he lived in florida). The TSA has a record of her declaring weapons/several guns when she cleared the Uncle's estate.
Marni told her friend/psychic advisor that she put the gun in a bucket of cement and threw it away in a Chicago dumpster. The murder weapon was never recovered and probably never will.
The secretly recorded conversations were pretty wild. Both of them are 'crazy'. But, Marni definitely sounded like she honestly did the crime. She planned it, committed it and covered it up. She also tried to use her Chicago Sheriff boyfriend as an alibi. He was not happy to be on the witness stand. She totally used him as she seemed to use most people in her life.
It didn't take us 4 hours to deliberate. It was about 3 hours and the last hour was waiting for the family to get back to the courthouse for the reading of the verdict. The reason it took as long as it did was that we (the jury) felt it was very important to review all the facts of the case. A horrible thing happened and we wanted to make sure we did our due diligence. We basically had someone's life in our hands and felt it was only fair to discuss the possibility of a defense.
butterfliesanddragons

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

nm
Last edited by butterfliesanddragons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suzridesahog
Hardcore

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 am

I am not sure if Marni's family was in court very often, but, Rhonni's friends and family were there every day. Sean Gayle and (what looked to be like) his mother were there a few times.
Shaun wore a wire also to try to catch her, but none of that was admitted into court. As for Shaun... he was treated as a horrible person having multiple (like 17) sexual partners. Even if he was not a faithful partner his on/off girlfriend and unborn child didn't need to be murdered.
The psychic friend is crazy. I mean bat shit crazy. She testified that she was recruited into the US military for her psychic abilities. She was on a mission in the middle east and everyone in her group was killed except for her, then she underwent a 'mind sweep' to forget the details by the government. Her story went on and on with all kinds of inconsistencies and (what I consider) false statements.
butterfliesanddragons

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 am

nm
Last edited by butterfliesanddragons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.