Marni Yang murder trial

Talk about anything....

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid

butterfliesanddragons

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 am

nm
Last edited by butterfliesanddragons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pastel

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Suzridesahog,

Thanks for speaking about your experiences during Marni's murder trial. Can you tell us more details?

I followed her trial closely as I am very close to someone who knew very well. She used and abused this person much like she did her ex bf and most people in her life. We always knew she was crazy.

I am surprised that the state did not talk much about her moral character, I guess they only wanted to focus on the evidence. Her lying lawyer went on TV stating that the state didn't have any evidence against her and that she is a mother to three "young children"... her children are in fact 20, 20, and 16. The way Hedrick said it made it seem like she couldn't possibly committ such a horrible crime because shes a mother. The state should have came back with that exposing all of her multiple affairs she had with married men, and while she was married herself. How she stalked her ex bf, a married Chicago police officer (not Sal, a different one) who felt so threatened by her he filed for a restraining order.

You said that she didn't show much emotions except for when her daughter Emily and mother Francine went on the stand... what emotions did she show then? Based on news reports, both her parents were there when the verdict was read. How did they respond to the verdict?

Thanks in advance.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:40 pm

suzridesahog wrote:Her Mother testified to the fact that she brought several guns to her house and hid them in a closet. When the police searched the Mother's house they found several guns... but not a 9mm. Rhonni Reuter was killed by a 9mm. Marni got a 9mm from an Uncle that passed away (he lived in florida). The TSA has a record of her declaring weapons/several guns when she cleared the Uncle's estate.
Marni told her friend/psychic advisor that she put the gun in a bucket of cement and threw it away in a Chicago dumpster. The murder weapon was never recovered and probably never will.
The secretly recorded conversations were pretty wild. Both of them are 'crazy'. But, Marni definitely sounded like she honestly did the crime. She planned it, committed it and covered it up. She also tried to use her Chicago Sheriff boyfriend as an alibi. He was not happy to be on the witness stand. She totally used him as she seemed to use most people in her life.
It didn't take us 4 hours to deliberate. It was about 3 hours and the last hour was waiting for the family to get back to the courthouse for the reading of the verdict. The reason it took as long as it did was that we (the jury) felt it was very important to review all the facts of the case. A horrible thing happened and we wanted to make sure we did our due diligence. We basically had someone's life in our hands and felt it was only fair to discuss the possibility of a defense.
Well it seems like justice was served in this case. Good on you and the other 11 for doing your part. :)
butterfliesanddragons

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 pm

nm
Last edited by butterfliesanddragons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butterfliesanddragons

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm

You said that she didn't show much emotions except for when her daughter Emily and mother Francine went on the stand... what emotions did she show then? Based on news reports, both her parents were there when the verdict was read. How did they respond to the verdict?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The details of that case freaked me out.
She is right up there with Manson in terms of crazy and calculated.
Yang is going to have a long, long time to think about what she did. I don't know how she can live with herself.
drifter73
Hardcore

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 am

butterfliesanddragons wrote:She is right up there with Manson in terms of crazy and calculated.
I wouldn't go that far, up there with Manson? Really? I think they are way far off from each other and she couldn't possibly organize a group of followers like Manson did. They worshiped the ground he walked on.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 am

drifter73 wrote:
butterfliesanddragons wrote:She is right up there with Manson in terms of crazy and calculated.
I wouldn't go that far, up there with Manson? Really? I think they are way far off from each other and she couldn't possibly organize a group of followers like Manson did. They worshiped the ground he walked on.
Agreed. Manson is the most frightening kind of sociopath - the kind that can lure many people under his spell.
suzridesahog
Hardcore

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 am

Marni's reaction to her daughter's testimony (what little she had) was that she looked as though she was holding her breath and as the daughter left the stand Marni was a little teary. All she did was nod and attempted to smile at her Mom.
The friend and psychic are the same person. I asked the judge if Christy (the psychic friend/advisor)was going to be charged with anything or at least purgery. He said that the States Attorneys would not be charging her because she did finally cooperate and was the 'star' witness.
When the verdict was read I was paying attention to Marni and the family and friends of Rhonnie. The family cried and hugged each other. They also looked at the jury with thanks in their eyes. As for Marni she had no reaction. She was as stone faced as usual.
suzridesahog
Hardcore

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:35 am

I did not get the feeling that Gayle was involved. Regardless if Gayle was a sympathetic witness or not I believe he was also a victim of Marni Yang.
Shaun Gayle and Ronnie dated off and on for many many years. I didn't hear about previous abortions. I also had an opportunity to speak with a couple of police officers involved with the case. They stated that during their investigation they never uncovered any unpleasant information about the victim and that she was a well liked member in the community.
Marni ruined so many lives!
I also heard that the children now have a chance at a 'normal' life now that their mother is out of the picture.
As for eliminating the competition I believe Marni was originally planning on killing Shaun Gayle. Then when Rhonnie got pregnant she became the only real female threat. Marni sent letters to 17 other women that were involved with Shaun telling them about the others. She also included the names and addresses of all the women. This she 'blamed' on a foreign lady who was later deported (she might have been off her rocker also).
butterfliesanddragons

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14 am

kohlhaas wrote:
drifter73 wrote:
Agreed. Manson is the most frightening kind of sociopath - the kind that can lure many people under his spell.
You are right. She didn't have a following of course. I guess I was just thinking about cold and calculated murder (plus a murder of a pregnant woman).
I just meant that this isn't a crime of passion as I think of them--heat of the moment. It was too cold for that--it was really a planned hit
butterfliesanddragons

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:27 am

nm
Last edited by butterfliesanddragons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pastel

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:08 pm

butterfliesanddragons,

I don't agree with alot of what you said. I don't believe Shaun had anything to do with the murder.

The jury heard all of the FACTS. What you are presenting as RUMOR is what they didn't hear.

Do you know Marni? If you knew her history, you would know she's made those kinds of threats to other people before. Alot of what you said was lies the defense tried to feed to the media to plant doubt about Marni's guilt. Shaun has said he was not seeing 17 women, that was Marni's delusion. Nothing you said above about the previous abortions, about his response when he got the news etc was proven true. They were all from the defense, and it seems like you are trying to present it as fact.

I don't believe Christi was paid to keep her silence, and I don't believe Marni murdered for money.

This is going to be aired tomorrow night on ABC on 20/20 there are already some brief clips on the abc website.
Last edited by pastel on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pastel

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:16 pm

suzridesahog,

I'm surprised to hear that Emily showed any affection towards Marni during her testimony. I was under the impression that with the exception of her youngest son, she has a very strained relationship with her two older kids.

I read the transcript from the secret recordings and it seems like her mother Francine tried to help and hide the truth. Francine has been know to enable Marni's anticts in the past. Had she reign her daughter in a bit more, perhaps two lives would not have been lost today.

Hearing a first hand account of what Marni is like as a mother, I am not surprised the police thought they would have a chance at a better life without her around. She was emotionally abusive to them when they were kids, threatening to drop them off at an orphanage and such. Hopefully the two older ones don't turn out to be anything like the woman who raised them.

She did ruin many many lives around her. She enjoyed it. That is truly one evil woman and hopefully she won't get the min sentencing. If it's just an ordinary life sentence, she could be out in just 15 years.
butterfliesanddragons

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:36 pm

nm
Last edited by butterfliesanddragons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubarber
Hardcore

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:43 pm

The only truth here is that the chances of the full truth being exposed are microscopic. Especially with laywers involved.