I have a ?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

IlllIIllIIll

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:29 pm

My boyfriend wants to become a tattoo artist and has the talent to do it but i want to know what it is that he needs to do to get a license in Virginia. If you know it would really help me out.

Thanks.
BadWolf
Verified

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:31 pm

By the time he finishes his complete apprenticeship, he should have all that information, and loads more!
IlllIIllIIll

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:44 pm

I know this is going to sound stupid to y'all but what is an apprenticeship?
BadWolf
Verified

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:53 pm

An apprenticeship is where you learn from someone who is already a safe and legit tattooist how to do safe and technically accurate tattoos. If you don't know what an apprenticeship is, you have no business tattooing anyone. A license is years in the future.
voodoo

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:13 am

:shock:
minitruknchris

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:26 pm

basiclly an apprintist is a person whom draws and some times help create stencils from the contact paper correct...so its a full time job with lil pay. a lil slave boy/gurl. ....tell me if im wrong..
BadWolf
Verified

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:18 pm

minitruknchris wrote:basiclly an apprintist is a person whom draws and some times help create stencils from the contact paper correct...so its a full time job with lil pay. a lil slave boy/gurl. ....tell me if im wrong..

Not sure if you are wrong. I have no fucking clue WHAT an "apprintist" is.

But if you happened to mean "apprentice", then you are so horribly incorrect that you should really rethink a career having anything to do with poking people with needles.

ap·pren·tice

n.

1. One bound by legal agreement to work for another for a specific amount of time in return for instruction in a trade, art, or business.

2. One who is learning a trade or occupation, especially as a member of a labor union.

3. A beginner; a learner.
CxCx
Verified

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am

Badwolf once again comes through and hits the nail on the head (sometimes dictionaries can be good things, lol). If your friend is seriously interested, tell him to put together a professional portfolio (minus the slides, of course. They may be a bit much, and the average tattoo artist doesn't have a slide projector in their studio) and tell him to start asking around at professional and reputable local studios. It's really the first step and honestly the only step that should be given to anyone, as it's all they really need to know to get started.
flutrbies17

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:08 pm

if you want to kno about what a apprenticship (i cant spell) does tehn watch miami ink and watch their apprentice...its hard work though
CxCx
Verified

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:19 pm

and with that post you've officially lost any chance of EVER having an ounce of my respect. Good Job
flutrbies17

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:21 pm

thats ok, i dont need ur respect
CxCx
Verified

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:28 pm

very true, all you apparently need is a tattoo that was already done on somebody else (great imagination) and to give misinformation to people. If you think "watching miami ink" has shown you everything that an apprentice does (in all actuality it showed about 6.5% of what an actual apprentice does), you live in a world that much happier and easier than mine. have a great day now visiting the under-qualified scratchers.
flutrbies17

Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:53 pm

i said watch it, i didnt say go by it. it wasnt like i was saying that its all that they do, but maybe get a small fraction of an idea. you think im a idiot because of this and that now u have respect for me...i have no respect for you either. i really dont care.
TheTattooArtist

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:00 am

don't know CxCx, I think 6.5% is still very high. :) BUt if you think your boyfriend "has the talent to do it", then he needs to take his portfolio to a professional tattoo studio, or more than one, and talk to them about apprenticship. If his work looks promising, they may offer to teach him. Going out and buying all his own equipment would be a total wast of his time, and trying to obtain a license without any knowledge what to buy, or even how to use it, will just cause problems in the future. For him and all of us. So, head him in the right direction, and keep on his ass(like a girlfriend normally does) :) and his mentor will take over from there. But let him know not to get his hopes up, because alot of people try this every day, and never make it anywhere. Most are the ones who bought the "how to be a professional tattooist" books and equipment, and ventured out on there own. Good luck to you.
hawaiitattoo

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 pm

If your boyfriend is really serious about this, they why isn't he out there putting is name and artwork out to the tattoo shops. Why are you doing it for him. Even though your trying to be a good girlfriend by helping him out, if he really wants this that bad then he needs to do it for himself. You can't help him tattoo, and you can't help him with this. If you were to go into a shop and say to someone that my boyfriend wants to do this, they are going to want to know where your boyfriend is, and why isn't he asking the questions. If your boyfriend has done some artwork, tell him to put it in a book and to the tattoo shops around your town, even further if he has too. The artists in the shop will know how to help him best.

Best of luck.