Symbolic tattoo design help?

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

Kays

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:38 pm

I've been thinking that I want a tattoo to remind me of the love of God and His presence. I need it to remember to stay faithful. I don't just want a verse. I want something more symbolic, more meaningful? I have a favorite verse and I want to translate it into an image or symbol. Something more simple than words. It would go on my left wrist, which is rather small XD. This is the two verses.

"And let the peace of the Messiah, to which you were also called in one body, control your hearts. Be thankful. Let the message about the Messiah dwell richly among you, teaching wisdom and admonishing one another in all wisdom, and singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, with gratitude in your hearts to God." -Colossians 3:15-16

I think I like the second part the most, but I love it all. The tattoo doesn't have to encompass all of the words. It could just be a small section of it. But I want a simple, symbolic image to represent it and the presence of God. Any ideas out there? I really need your help!! Thanks so much.
Angertank
Hardcore

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Christianity has perhaps the richest symbol-set of any faith or philosophy in the tattoo world.
There is such a huge library of traditional Christian tattoo imagery - have you tried Googling something like "Christian tattoos"? Or "traditional Christian tattoos"?

If you aren't interested in traditional imagery, then you will likely have to come up with something more personal to you, which others will have more trouble helping you with.
Kays

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Well I definitely don't want the traditional dove or cross or Jesus. Lots of the traditional tattoos aren't modern and simple enough for me. And yes it should be more personal to me. But I'm just looking for like general ideas to go along with the words in the verses. Just some brainstorming ideas to get me started.
Angertank
Hardcore

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:03 pm

The anchor is also a good, strong, traditional Christian tattoo symbol: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/ask ... sep13.html
Angertank
Hardcore

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:04 pm

You can see here how many things have been used in a specifically Christian context: http://www.fisheaters.com/symbols.html
Kays

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:13 pm

That symbol site is awesome! Thanks so much!!