Pricing/Style of My First Tattoo

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

Cynosure

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey guys,

The past year or so I've consciously saved a fund away so that I could finally get started on my first sleeve. I've been planning this tattoo since I was in my late teens and, being a broke college student, I always had to put it on the backburner.

I had always been planning to get my tattoo in Charlottesville, Virginia at Ben Around Tattoos (http://www.benaroundtattoos.com/). Ben is a great artist, in my opinion. However, upon my years of research and saving I've found this guy named Nick Baxter (http://nickbaxter.com/) who has a style closer to the image I had in mind.

Unfortunately, Nick Baxter turned out to be a famous artist who doesn't have time for my piece and lives many states over.

..now that I've seen Baxter's work, Ben doesn't really seem to fit the image of the tattoo that I want. Ben also doesn't seem to implement the bright and exotic colour schemes that I was after.

A couple questions questions:

How much searching should I do to find someone with a similar style to Baxter? The extra travel expenses aren't something I truly want to pay for, but I figure for a permanent piece of art it's more than worth it.

Would it be rude to show Ben his work and try to get my tattoo implemented in a mimicked style?

I have the main objects of my tattoo and the placement all set out in my mind, though the background I haven't a clue. I was hoping to leave melding this together to the artist.

I don't want to have unreal expectations, but after seeing Baxter's style I can't help but want it on my skin!
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 am

It's all about portfolio shopping. If Ben doesnt have that caliber of work, or the right style, dont chance it. Travel is cheap in the grand scheme of things. It's your arm. You could do it in two trips... Or a two day session if you wanted to push it. Find the right artist. Of find a convention coming to you..
lfmn16

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 am

Cynosure wrote: Unfortunately, Nick Baxter turned out to be a famous artist who doesn't have time for my piece and lives many states over.
I don't get this. What do you mean, "he doesn't have time for my piece?" Do you mean he can't do it in one sitting? Maybe the more experienced people can answer, but I can't imagine that an artist doesn't have time to do a piece that they want to do. There are many tattoos that are done over multiple sessions and many months; my sleeve will be done over six months in multiple sessions.
coregrafx
Hardcore

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Nick Baxter is a sick artist and I would not be surprised if he is booked years out. Just checked his site and it states:

"Due to the number of return clientele I’ve built up through my 10+ years of tattooing, I rarely have time to accept proposals from new clients. When booking appointments, in-progress tattoos get first priority, and new clients are scheduled only when time allows. Unfortunately there is no exact science for this process, because it’s dependent on many changing factors. Therefore I can’t pinpoint waiting times or guarantee any future appointments for new requests."

BUT, you have identified the diffrence between some random tattoo shop worker and a true artist. I checked out that Ben guy. IMO, he is not even close to being a "great artist". Maybe better than your average hack, but I would keep looking.
Cynosure

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:58 pm

EvilJay wrote:It's all about portfolio shopping. If Ben doesnt have that caliber of work, or the right style, dont chance it. Travel is cheap in the grand scheme of things. It's your arm. You could do it in two trips... Or a two day session if you wanted to push it. Find the right artist. Of find a convention coming to you..
Okay, I will keep searching!

Is there a website that has a database of the most sought artists?

lfmn16 wrote: I don't get this. What do you mean, "he doesn't have time for my piece?" Do you mean he can't do it in one sitting? Maybe the more experienced people can answer, but I can't imagine that an artist doesn't have time to do a piece that they want to do. There are many tattoos that are done over multiple sessions and many months; my sleeve will be done over six months in multiple sessions.
He is booked for years and upon e-mailing him you receive an automated message that says he cannot take any clients currently. However, if he manages to read about your piece and decides he would like to take it on he will contact you.

I don't see a point in waiting indefinitely for a possible response.
coregrafx wrote: BUT, you have identified the diffrence between some random tattoo shop worker and a true artist. I checked out that Ben guy. IMO, he is not even close to being a "great artist". Maybe better than your average hack, but I would keep looking.
Thanks! Perfect response and exactly the type of advice I was looking for!

I'll keep searching. I hope I can find someone! If I find an artist that can book me a year from now, I would be willing to wait if they were of equal caliber.
Cynosure

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Damn.. I can't find anyone who comes close.

Think Baxter takes bribes?
:lol: