Detroit.. Update : Russ Abbott Pics.

Upcoming Convention Forum<br>
<a href="http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooconventions/">Convention List 2013</a>

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Tattude

EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:59 pm

If any of you guys/girls that follow artists see any last minute openings for this weekend in Detroit, let me know. I'm itchin for some ink...
Last edited by EvilJay on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevcam11
Hardcore

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 am

Lenny Renken and Bili Vegas are 2 I've seen recently post that they have openings still.

Not sure what/who you are looking for, just thought I'd throw it out there.
actualfact
Hardcore

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:37 pm

EvilJay
Hardcore

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 am

Cool. I just got to work here. Have an easy day. Went online and found a discount code and booked a 54th story room at the marriot in the building where I work and where the convention is that I get at noon. SO i plan to go walk the convention at lunch and see what happens. I'll have a pretty flexible schedule for the weekend.

I'm looking to start planning/finishing my elbow down on my right arm. I've been talking to both Josh Woods and TimmyB about a few peices to fill it, but neither could get me in here, so I am gonna talk to them about a couple trips to nashville.

If I find somebody here to bang out a cool traditional peice in that area though, I might go. I'd like to get my elbow done this weekend. Seems like it would be perfect for convention. Small peice, easy quick design... I've been thinking compass rose with either a web or flower or both behind it....
EvilJay
Hardcore

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 pm

I just took a lunch walkthru. Not everyone was setup yet. I pitched my idea to Steve Martin and Russ Abbott. Both had some walkup times, but uncertain as to times. Both seemed into it. Both took my number and hoping to hear from one of them tonight. Steve said he'll work late. He says he's here to work... I told them both I was shopping it around, and call me if they have the opening.

Talked to Gunnar for a while. He was taking all walkups. Not really my style, as far as work goes, but he was super cool guy.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:14 am

Just got done with 3 hours with Russ Abbott. Did a sick compass piece on my elbow region. So happy, and it set the direction perfect for the rest of my sleeve.. I'll try to get a few pics up tommarrow. Tired and sore.. Night bitches..
magnumman
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:28 am

EvilJay wrote:Just got done with 3 hours with Russ Abbott. Did a sick compass piece on my elbow region. So happy, and it set the direction perfect for the rest of my sleeve.. I'll try to get a few pics up tommarrow. Tired and sore.. Night bitches..
Damn, can't wait to see this. Especially since it's from Russ Abbott, that's a great artist to get as a walk up at a convention. Freakin' jealous and I haven't even seen it yet.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Russ's sketch before he even started drawing on paper.

Pre-Linework Drawing

W.I.P.

The pis are in the hotel bathroom at 1AM 2 hours after we finished and I showered. Yes there is beer and Bailys in the bathroom. Yes I was taking these pictures myself because my GF can't gauge Bud Light Platinum against the beer she's used to and 10 drinks later, she was passed out. Upside is she really diggs tattoo conventions all of a sudden. Ha..

These are the next morning.

Russ was pretty fast. took about 3 hours of chair time. Maybe a hair under. Hour or so sketch, draw, linework, etc.. I felt he was light handed, but I'm used to pretty shitty areas getting tattooed. I asked him if he felt he was light handed, he said not especially. Actually he said "I try to be efficient, but I don't try to make it not hurt". Not too swollen or bruised today. Great experience.

I told him before hand that I wasnt thrilled with the color transition and and straight cut-off of the old "sleeve" line, but he was able to give it a good natural line again and drag the colors down and even again. Russ actually was giving a seminar today in color theory, but you can tell he is a master of placement and color interaction. He was very comprhensive towards the end just hitting little spots one last time.
magnumman
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Congrats, that's a real nice tattoo. You're right about the placement, he made that fit and blend so well and his use of colors is obviously fantastic. It's a simple enough design without a bunch of unnecessary clutter and it's executed beautifully. Again, that's a great get for a walkup at a convention.

I'm still pissed that I had to pass on an opportunity to get a tattoo from Russ a couple of years ago when he was a guest artist at a local shop. Hopefully I'll catch up with him some day.
OICUR4692
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Dude that is sick! So awesome that russ had a walk up available!
themrchen
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:31 pm

russ was the easiest hand that has touched me in 244 hours, I healed like no other tattoo, he is fast, only josh woods was faster

this piece is super dope! congratulations!
OICUR4692
Hardcore

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:36 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that robert pho is the lightest hands of them all, but mostly because he uses mostly all shaders vs liners.
trevcam11
Hardcore

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:36 am

Looks awesome man, really smooth transition. Sounds like you had a lot of potential to shop, always a good problem to have. Did you get to see much of the convention?
EvilJay wrote: Yes I was taking these pictures myself because my GF can't gauge Bud Light Platinum against the beer she's used to and 10 drinks later, she was passed out. Upside is she really diggs tattoo conventions all of a sudden. Ha..
Ha I love this.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:10 pm

trevcam11 wrote:Looks awesome man, really smooth transition. Sounds like you had a lot of potential to shop, always a good problem to have. Did you get to see much of the convention?
Yeah, I walked around for an hour at lunch, maybe more, then again for an hour with my GF, then some more throughout the night. Talked to the guys at Black13, and I think I'm gonna book a small piece with Timmy before the summer. Talked to Gunnar for a while about a idea i had for him, but it would have to start a whole new zone on me, and I wanna get this sleeve done first. Convention was decent.
buttwheat
Hardcore

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 pm

That looks fucking cool. Great snag on the artistes.

btw you look way different then I pictured you in my head.