Question about starting Light Treatments and fading

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

trevcam11
Hardcore

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:11 am

So I had another sitting with Gunnar a few months back and he noticed some weird markings on my skin. Low and behold, I go to the doctor and find out I have psoriasis. They want me to start light treatments (Photo therapy) with a Narrowband UVB light for 2-5 minutes, 3 days a week. I'm concerned about my tattoos obviously. I asked my dermatologist and she didn't seem too concerned about my tattoos and basically told me that I shouldn't be worrying about my tattoos. She said to not do anything with them and just do the treatments.

Like I said, she didn't seem to get that I was concerned about my tattoos. I was expecting more help and she didn't do much for me. My question to you all is, should I rock sunscreen, sunblock, or just cover completely? Any help would be appreciated.
TATFINK

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 am

Sunblock/sunscreen only has one purpose and thats to block harmful UV rays. It will do NOTHING to help preserve any tattoo colour in your skin. Your skin will darken with any exposure to UV and your tattoos are at the mercy of how your natural pigment reacts to it because the tattoo colours are transparent. The only way to continually keep them bright is to have zero exposure to anything UV.

But, that being said, take care of your psoriasis and live with a little discolouration rather than live with the consequences of not addressing it properly.

JMHO but I believe I know what I'm talking about on this.
kalash
Hardcore

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 am

I came down with pityriasis rosea while getting my chest done, had to hold of for 2 months till it cleared. Does psoriasis clear on its own?
trevcam11
Hardcore

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:00 pm

TATFINK wrote:Sunblock/sunscreen only has one purpose and thats to block harmful UV rays. It will do NOTHING to help preserve any tattoo colour in your skin. Your skin will darken with any exposure to UV and your tattoos are at the mercy of how your natural pigment reacts to it because the tattoo colours are transparent. The only way to continually keep them bright is to have zero exposure to anything UV.
Wouldn't sunblock stop my skin from darkening (at least compared to other parts of my body)? I would just cover them but it's somewhat difficult having full rib panels because if I just wear a shirt, the rest of my torso won't get exposure, which in turn does nothing for my psoriasis.
I came down with pityriasis rosea while getting my chest done, had to hold of for 2 months till it cleared. Does psoriasis clear on its own?

According to my doctor and research, no, it won't. The light treatment should help control it over time though and put it in remission in theory though. It was actually first pointed out by Gunnar and I'm nervous he won't want to continue until I get it cleared up as much as possible.
peter449

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 pm

This is the same question my younger sister asked me last week "Does psoriasis clear on its own?" I wasn't sure and I am finding answers.