FAQ Search Memberlist Register Profile MPS Search Log in to check your private messages Log in

What does the number 13 mean?
Tags: 13, thirteen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com Forum Index -> Tattoos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdolejr

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: What does the number 13 mean? Reply with quote

I always wanted a tattoo with the #13 in it and i've come up with the design.
Before I get the tattoo I just wanted to know what different definitions people knew for the 13 or which groups used the 13 to represent themselves?

The reason I ask I just finished reading Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson and back in the 60's the Hells Angels would get a 13 tattooed to symbolize the 13th letter in the alphabet "M" simply meaning "marijuana" which I thought was kinda funny....

Other funny things I've found:
Unreasoned fear of the number 13 is termed triskaidekaphobia

The late Mitch Hedberg's joke...
I'm staying at a hotel and it doesn't have a 13th floor 'cause of superstition. But c'mon, people on the fourteenth floor, you know what floor you're really on. What room are you in? "1401." No, you're not! Jump out the window and you will die earlier.
BadWolf

Artist Verified

My Tattoos (0)
Tattoo Work (7)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very meaningful alchemical equasion, which the world is not yet ready to have knowledge of.
Wink

I snatch kisses...and visa-versa
Yimmy

Artist Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)
Tattoo Work (5)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter Thompson was a punk the book was a total exageration and a bunch of bs. If he really did what he said he did do you honestly think he would be alive to talk about it.. jeesh.
InkSlinger

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the number 13 symbolizes completion and wholeness. There are 13 months in the lunar calendar (13 full moons a year), and 13 is the "traditional" number for a full coven of witches (probably due to the lunar calendar thing ...). Which I guess means Jesus and his 12 disciples count as a full coven. Twisted Evil
jasonchambers17

Enthusiast

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1929 the Spartan Dawn Patrol used a black cat with a 13 on it placed on the sides of thier aircraft as their insignia. It signifies that "Knowledge and Skill Overcome Superstition and Luck". I thought that was quite interesting while attending aviation school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com Forum Index -> Tattoos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: