Input on an artist

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

njcanderson

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 am

What do you guys think of this shop?

http://www.paristattoos.com/

I have a consultation with Conan on Saturday. I'm looking to get an owl wearing big glasses. I don't have a specific style in mind, I'll see what he thinks is best, just wanted to see what you guys thought of his work. When I called the shop to set up the consultation they suggested I sit down with Conan based on what I wanted, but do you think it would be worth waiting for the other guy Paris, who owns the shop and has more experience?

Thanks for your input!
HighballSam
Hardcore

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 am

Paris' work is nice. I don't care for the others.
falco4758
Hardcore

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:44 pm

paris work looks much better,of course it is worth waiting for better work hopefully you do!
njcanderson

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:00 pm

So it seems that people think Paris' work is better. My only problem is that I already have a consultation set up with Conan. I'm gonna go to that on Saturday and see what his ideas are and see if he can sketch me up something. My next question is, if I don't think he's fit for the job can I ask Paris to do it? Or will I have already burnt my bridge so to speak with this shop?
Zaotar
Hardcore

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:06 pm

You will probably have burned your bridge I would think.

Some of Conan's work looks solid to me, though his portfolio is a bit inconsistent. I like this one.

Last edited by Zaotar on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falco4758
Hardcore

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm

njcanderson wrote:So it seems that people think Paris' work is better. My only problem is that I already have a consultation set up with Conan. I'm gonna go to that on Saturday and see what his ideas are and see if he can sketch me up something. My next question is, if I don't think he's fit for the job can I ask Paris to do it? Or will I have already burnt my bridge so to speak with this shop?
it may be akward, maybe try another shop, or you can say id rather have paris do it just be honest, dont know how theyll take it, should of looked at the portfolis first
njcanderson

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

I did look at the portfolios first, Conan's work seems pretty good to me. At least compared to your average tattoo artist, I didn't think to ask someone with more experience than me until now.

If I don't like what he has to offer when I go, I'll look for a new shop I suppose, I'm certainly not attached to that one in particular, it's just a little closer than some of the other ones I've found. I'm not against waiting a long time, or driving a decent distance if anyone has any other suggestions. I live in Columbia, SC. I don't mind driving pretty much anywhere in SC, or Charlotte, or Atlanta, or places of comparable distance to that.

Thanks again everyone
falco4758
Hardcore

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 pm

njcanderson wrote:I did look at the portfolios first, Conan's work seems pretty good to me. At least compared to your average tattoo artist, I didn't think to ask someone with more experience than me until now.

If I don't like what he has to offer when I go, I'll look for a new shop I suppose, I'm certainly not attached to that one in particular, it's just a little closer than some of the other ones I've found. I'm not against waiting a long time, or driving a decent distance if anyone has any other suggestions. I live in Columbia, SC. I don't mind driving pretty much anywhere in SC, or Charlotte, or Atlanta, or places of comparable distance to that.

Thanks again everyone
deran hall in greensboro Nc,
njcanderson

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm

falco4758 wrote:
njcanderson wrote:I did look at the portfolios first, Conan's work seems pretty good to me. At least compared to your average tattoo artist, I didn't think to ask someone with more experience than me until now.

Thanks again everyone
Greensboro would work well, my girlfriends family is from there. I heard he wasn't taking on new clients though, or at least that's what he posted on his page. Anyone know the facts behind that?
jerryatrophied
Hardcore

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:31 am

John Barrett is in warner Robbins Georgia now.
falco4758
Hardcore

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 pm

njcanderson wrote:
falco4758 wrote:

Thanks again everyone
Greensboro would work well, my girlfriends family is from there. I heard he wasn't taking on new clients though, or at least that's what he posted on his page. Anyone know the facts behind that?
damn that sucks, if the place mentioned in georgia is close to you john is amazing i have work from him , go to him
kalash
Hardcore

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Listen to his sales pitch, he may be for you or really want to do an owl and make you the bestist owl ever.
njcanderson

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

kalash wrote:Listen to his sales pitch, he may be for you or really want to do an owl and make you the bestist owl ever.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Regardless, I'm gonna at least go talk to him and see what he thinks about it all.
kalash
Hardcore

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:02 pm

They are miss managed portfolios, Paris's portfollio gets week after #50. Conan is good if you want a new school/realism type tattoo. His skulls are cool, and if he really wants to do your owl, let him.
njcanderson

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for your input, I sent an email into Deran Hall about possibly doing it as well. I'll go have a consultation with him as well sometime in the next few weeks.