Tattoo Help

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

aachally

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Adam, and I have never got a tattoo or anything like that. I live in Rapid City, SD, and I have semi-researched the local tattoo places around here, and there seems to be very mixed opinions on them.

My question doesn't really involve that. That was just a preface to say that I've read the rules/guidelines and the sticky about "Help With Your Tattoo Ideas" and I'm not sure if my question will anger anyone or not. It kind of is right on the edge of an acceptable question, but I decided I'd ask it anyway.

Okay, so now the question... I took my girlfriend to one of the tattoo shops here that I have heard mostly good things about because she was ready to get a tattoo and was pretty sure she knew what she wanted and had even researched ideas and pictures on the internet for a while before coming to a decision on the one she wanted.

When we got to the shop, though, the lady there kind of laughed at her idea because it was so "cliche" and "played out". She made my girlfriend feel horrible about the tattoo she wanted and the lady told her to keep looking for ideas basically. We've actually been there twice and both times she was laughed at because of how "popular" that tattoo she wanted was. The second guy was at least nice enough to say that if it meant something to her, though, that she should definitely still do it, because who cares what other people think!

Her idea she has is something involving a cross, infinity symbols, and a meaningful bible verse to her. She even had a friend trace out an idea for her that she liked, but she no longer wants it because she feels shamed by the fact that the tattoos are too "cliche".

So, I'm here to ask y'all for help or help me come up with ideas where she could keep her 3 fundamental things she wants without feeling like people will make fun of her because of how "popular" it is. So, I guess that I'm asking for a more original idea involving a cross, infinity signs, and a quote from tattoo artists who know the trends... Lol. I know she is being overly sensitive about the whole thing, haha, but I'd really like to help her out and get her a first tattoo that she'll love forever!
buttwheat
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Limit it to one of those things unless you can work the bible verse and the cross into one tattoo. Just forget about the infinity symbol that is just silly and will make a crap tattoo.

Something like this but a shit ton better.

The absolute most important thing is to pick the right tattooist for the job don't just show up to a tattoo shop.
HighballSam
Hardcore

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 am

Butt's right on the infinity symbol.

Check artists' portfolios. When you find an artist that has a style you love, make an appointment for a consultation. Give him (or her) your ideas. Talk it over and if the situation feels right, let the artist draw some things up for you. There is usually a charge in the form of a deposit that is usually put toward the tattoo's cost.

Keep us posted.
Rufus08
Hardcore

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:14 am

You could ask the tattoo artist to design a tattoo containing the elements you want. Most artists are happy to design an original tattoo and they may have ideas that you never thought of.
aachally

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the great ideas! I will definitely take those things in to consideration and let her know.

I know she still like the idea of the infinity sign because it blatantly means "forever," or "not ending". I think if the infinity sign is really that cliche, though, that I will start researching other symbols that could represent that same meaning without being so overused.

When we finally do get it figured out, I will post what the tattoo artist has come up with for her so y'all can see it.

Thanks again for the help!
buttwheat
Hardcore

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 pm

Everyday there are thousands of infinity symbol tattoos being covered up by proper tattoos.
peterpoose
Hardcore

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:51 am

Check out my signature link below for top notch artists on a PC :)
Call_me_Lola
Hardcore

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:51 am

The original artist may have hurt your wife's feelings, but she saved her from getting a lame tattoo. You owe that shop a thank you. An artist with less integrity might have given her what she asked for, and laughed at her after she left.

She might try asking for themes rather than pictures. For example instead of asking for a cross and infinity sign ask them to draw a piece of art that shows "forever faithful", or whatever meaning the passage/cross/infinity has to wifey. Let the artist have freedom with the concept and they can create something beautiful and unique and personal, and probably something that they are excited to tattoo.