Anybody know a lot about laer tattoo removal?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 pm

I know this is way out of left field, but does anyone have intimate knowledge of laser tattoo removal? I'm sure it's different from state to state, but what kind of training, licensing, etc is required? Based on who I see doing it, it seems like its managed more like a cosmetic process than a medical procedure. I'm sure with proper training, the performing the procedure cant be that difficult.

I know the equipment is expensive, I know insurance would be outrageous, I know all about the costs of doing business. Just wondering if anyone knows the technical and licensing sides.

I'm 35 years old and tired of corporate America. There's a million bad tattoos and more being done everyday.

Just something for discussion.
OICUR4692
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:34 pm

I know Falco has gotten a lot of laser removal. I am considering being a laser tech and was just loosely looking at laser machine prices and the picosure is like 280k...
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 pm

If I was gonna do it, it would have to be something I could do on my own. Don't really care about start-up cost(within reason), but not gonna go work in a shop or 'dr office' for someone.

We just bought a vacation house in an area where I'd really like to live. Me and the wife are maybe up for something different. There's a ton of bad shops in that part of the state. Not much tattoo removal. Downside is standards for tattoos are low, so probably not as much bad work getting removed.

I see Tattoo Shops doing it, so I find it hard to believe you need a PHD to run the show. I'm always down for investigating an idea..
OICUR4692
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:20 pm

For the most part I think anyone can be a tech as long as u get certified. But where and how u get that done I haven't done any research. We don't really have any good laser removal places here in northern cali which is surprising.

And yeah, fuck working for other people. Hope it works out for u bro.
falco4758
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm actually saving to open a laser business. You need about 35-40kfor a good laser, it will be used, more if new. Other than that you just need a shop to operate from and if course training. If you want a pico it will be much more but you can charge more. Asp you could hook up with a tattoo shop to work out of if you can't afford your own rent.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Retail/Shop space is cheap where I'm looking.

From a Business Plan perspective, how are you going about market speculation and potential revenue. I mean, you've had some laser done, so you have a idea of rates, but as far as customer base?
maniacthw
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 pm

I'd rather get the Ph.D and know why it works, how it works, etc. I'll also push everyone to aim higher in education, so I'm a bit biased.
falco4758
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:04 pm

EvilJay wrote:Retail/Shop space is cheap where I'm looking.

From a Business Plan perspective, how are you going about market speculation and potential revenue. I mean, you've had some laser done, so you have a idea of rates, but as far as customer base?
WHere I go charges a flat rate, not square inch. I may do this too. If you have a good laser and give good results people will come. Social media my friend ! Revlite is the best below pico.
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:22 pm

maniacthw wrote:I'd rather get the Ph.D and know why it works, how it works, etc. I'll also push everyone to aim higher in education, so I'm a bit biased.
How much of a PHD is going to even mildly relate to 'why' laser tattoo removal works? You're telling me I cant learn this far more efficiently thru specific training? Not many people doing tattoo removal are docs..

And frankly, most docs I've met, and I've met far, far too many, don't know shit about shit anyway. I'm 35, type 1 diabetic, with neuopathy in my stomach. I've spent 300+ days in hospitals in my life, and see no less than 15 different Drs most years. 'Higher Education' isn't always the answer, and doesn't make you a smarter person, regardless of what they try to sell you.
OICUR4692
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 pm

do you know if places lease tattoo machines? i would like to get the quanta or the pico but prices for new ones are through the roof and i haven't seen any used ones.
jerryatrophied
Hardcore

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:42 am

The guy that is doing my laser removal is based out of atlanta but travels all over georgia. He always guest spots at tattoo shops and he is always booked up. Personally im more confortable having it done at a tattoo shop. Dr offices always raise my blood pressure.
He hits my city twice a month always at the same shop. Seems like a decent business model. Keep supply low and demand up.
maniacthw
Hardcore

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:47 am

EvilJay wrote:
maniacthw wrote:I'd rather get the Ph.D and know why it works, how it works, etc. I'll also push everyone to aim higher in education, so I'm a bit biased.
'Higher Education' isn't always the answer, and doesn't make you a smarter person, regardless of what they try to sell you.
If that were true, there wouldn't be so many idiots walking around. Regardless of how "stupid" a degree makes you, I'd still trust someone with a degree leaps and bounds over some jackass on the street.
Jayman1982
Hardcore

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 am

The guy I just started going to is about 25 years old. Worked as a laser tech in Toronto at a big laser clinic for a couple years before starting his own business just over a year ago. He seems quite knowledgeable about the process and very genuine about what results to expect. I've done my own research extensively before starting this process and he wasn't spewing bullshit, which I always appreciate.

Now, his laser is from China, built by T & B, but it is less than two years old, so I was willing to forgo that shortcoming and give him a shot as his prices were less than half of his nearest competitor.

He is leasing a two room suite in a small two storey commercial building about 20 minutes from the downtown core here in Ottawa, so that's keeping costs down. That, and he is by himself, so no staffing costs, although he is talking about expanding to get another tech involved.

His client list over the past year has grown to 1200. For an immediate population of 50,000 within 5 minutes and about 1 million within 30 minutes, you be the judge if that is sufficient. He has said some clients are travelling from 2 hours away for treatments.

Talking picosure laser, there are two places I contacted, both 5 hours from here, one would charge $500 per session on a 3" x 3" tattoo, and the other roughly the same. Whereas this guy has written me a quote for $450 for total removal of both my tattoos.

There is also one tattoo shop in the city I know of doing laser removal and they quoted me $100 a session to treat both tattoos, but to remove entirely I would anticipate this would put me closer to $1000 in total.

The dermatology docs in town that operate laser removal removal are much closer to the picosure costs, but are only using a Q-switched ND:YAG laser.

I'm not a trained tech or anything, but from what I gather it is as simple as knowing how to mix the right energy level and wavelength to maximze ink particle shattering while minimizing blistering. The tech I'm using has mentioned there is the option of doing a double pass on certain areas, or increasing the energy level, if my skin has shown resilience to blistering, which thankfully it has. I'm guessing the longer you practice and the more people you treat the better the tech you are going to be.

Have you considered apprenticing or working at a clinic before going out on your own? I'd certainly feel more comfortable going to someone who has. In regards to a degree on the wall, I'm not that concerned with it. This is not invasive surgery, no real risk for infection (unless the client doesn't take care of the site after treatment), and if proper precautions are taken (eye wear, knowledge about the laser) then it is truly a safe procedure.

I say take a leap and get into this field, with the proper rates you can be highly competitive and take down some of the crooks operating right now. Social media is huge for getting your name out there, Groupon is a great avenue to drum up new business, and get your customers to post online reviews everywhere of the quality of work!
EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 am

I would consider working as a tech prior if I knew going in that it was training for going on my own, with that plan already in the works. Not anti training by any means. Again, I doubt its brain surgery or building a space shuttle..

The 'part time' model like the guy you're describing would definitely work for me, as I have a lax schedule corporate IT job that I would be transitioning from, but the initial upfront cost of the laser may necessitate full time from the go.
Jayman1982
Hardcore

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 am

Does your state have licensing issues? Most require some sort of certification, or require you to be "supervised" by an off-site medical director (a physician). The states listed below are even stricter:

•California: Only Nurses/Physician Assistants/Nurse Practitioners/Physicians can fire a laser

•Florida: Only Physician Assistants/Nurse Practitioners/Physicians can fire a laser

•Illinois: A Physician/their delegate must conduct an evaluation of the patient in person before a laser technician can perform a laser procedure

•New Jersey: Only Physicians can fire a laser

•Ohio: Only Physicians can fire a laser

Or you can move to Canada, not part of the regulated health professionals network, yet...