Let's say, hypothetically

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

BadWolf
Verified

Tue May 10, 2005 7:10 pm

I was looking for an apprentice. Who (with a portfolio, decent character references, no addictions, personal baggage or bad reputations to hide from) would be willing to relocate to the North East, find and work a part time job to live on, and spend 2 years (approximately) learning extensively from the ground up before being brought into a situation where they would have at least two studios 40 miles apart to work out of?

This is hypothetical, of course....
kate1211

Tue May 10, 2005 10:09 pm

How far North? How've you been? :D
BadWolf
Verified

Tue May 10, 2005 11:07 pm

PA

Been good, you?
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed May 11, 2005 2:57 am

Hypothetically I would be an artist and take you up on this offer.
BadWolf
Verified

Wed May 11, 2005 3:15 pm

OK...let's say it ISN'T hypothetical.....
kate1211

Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 pm

Been doing really well, thanks. Little tattooing & LOTs of art and have a gallery showing this summer.

I'm not sure I could convince my better half to go to PA though, pretty cold there. We're heading to Fort Myers this week, but I'm always up for travel. Perhaps we'll meet someday.

I know an owner in Michigan who has great luck, fishing at the local aart school, and has acquired 3 dedicated artists that way. They seem to be more goal oriented and still be able to work outside the box. In his experience.

Kate
BadWolf
Verified

Wed May 11, 2005 11:54 pm

Congrats on the gallery showing!

I have thought about the art school thing, but once they get out, they sometimes have that "attitude" that only a couple years of starving will cure, if you know what I mean. I'm the only primadonna allowed at my studio! :lol: :lol:
CxCx
Verified

Sat May 14, 2005 3:26 pm

If I wasn't currently in an apprenticeship, I'd jump as the chance (seeing as I already live in PA). You seem like a cool cat with a good head on your shoulders that doesn't sugarcoat anything...my kind of guy. as far as the art school thing goes, I'm actually going to college part time to get my degree in graphics and online design, and i COMPLETELY understand what you mean about the "attitude". Most "art kids" are completely self-obsessed ego-manaics (at least in my experience) that all think that they have to be daring and different to change the art world. Most of them thumb their noses at art like tattoos/flash and consider them a low brow art as well (I've gotten into more than one argument with said people trying to defend the things I love with them). If anything, look into the grphics programs at your local colleges. The kids there normally have art background, but are commercial artists, as opposed to gallery artists, and are typically (once again, in my experience) more open to "low brow art". Just an opinion...
Te Boon

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:34 am

Hi have you found an apprentice yet?
BadWolf
Verified

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Lots of offers, but nothing serious.
caspertheghost

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:22 pm

That would be awsome because your actually looking for some one and some people dont even want that bother.I actually was very interested in becoming a artist early last year then the whole tattoo tv thing came out and I just fell if I started now I would be looked at as some one who only wanted to do it because some ass on tv`s doing it.Just like motorcycle mania everyone is now a bike builder.I just stay away from the crowd so to speak.Good luck with it though.
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:27 am

It is really funny. I know how to not only tattoo, but make things clean, build machines, make needles, mix ink that rivals anything out there, and those who claim to LOVE TATTOOING don't want to learn. They want me to just set them up with cocaine, pussy and cash. None of this "Work" shit for them!!

I love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I was just being generous....I have very talented children who I can teach, but decided that since so many people made the claim that they "LOVED THE ARTFORM" they would be willing to learn to be totally self sufficient artists. But that isn't really what they are about. It's all about being a rock star.

"Mixing ink??? I don't wanna get my hands all messy, Duuuuuuude! Just show me where the really cool parties are!"
caspertheghost

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:36 am

Not really sure if that reply was in favor of what I said or not,but Im just not that interested in becoming a artist anymore.I try not to jump on the band wagon.Not saying that its silly or anything because any noe with the skill is awsome.I just dont have the skill and I dont have the patince for it and wouldnt want to screw up anys body.Im just going to be quiet now.
Te Boon

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:52 am

FUCK!!!!! I'd like to apply please!!!!!
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:47 am

Your profile says you are already an apprentice.