The Titans came up with a huge win over the defending champi

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

zhangzk

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:07 am

Here are the winners and losers (winners) from the game. WinnersCorey DavisCorey Davis had his breakout game at the best possible time. Rishard Matthews quit on the team this week and Davis responded with a 9 catch Authentic Dion Lewis Jersey , 161-yard, 1-touchdown performance that announced his status as a star receiver in the NFL. He had already put together a big game when he hauled in the game winning pass on 3rd and goal at the 10-yard line, but the catch he made to take the win was legendary and it evoked this reaction from my friends at the game.This is Davis’ team now and for the foreseeable future. He took over this game and continues to develop as a true number one receiver. That’s something the Titans haven’t had in quite some time and it feels pretty surreal to even talk about it now.Harold LandryLandry had been very close to a sack for two straight games, but he finally broke through against the Eagles with a strip sack that resulted in a Titans turnover.Landry beat Lane Johnson here which is impressive in its own right. Johnson is coming off an All-Pro season and is one of the better tackles in the league. Landry beat him like a drum and turned it in to a huge play for the Titans. He’s well on his way to becoming one of the most important players on the team.Marcus MariotaMariota went 30 of 43 for 344 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception. He was outstanding against a good defense despite having less than a full complement of receivers. If Mariota was limited, he sure didn’t show it. He was accurate all over the field and should have had even better numbers if it weren’t for a couple horrific drops from his receivers.On the biggest drive of the season, Mariota came up with three 4th down conversions before giving Davis a chance to win the game on 3rd and goal. He was fantastic.Dion LewisLewis was playing against one of his former teams and he had a big day through the air, catching 9 passes for 66 yards, including one of the 4th down conversions on the final drive in overtime.Jurrell CaseyCasey somehow didn’t end up with a sack during the game, but he was a wrecking ball in the interior of the Titans defense all game. He’s playing at an All-Pro level right now.Mike VrabelWhat more is there to say about this guy? The Titans were down 17-3 in the 3rd quarter against the defending champs and they found a way to come back. Even bigger, Vrabel had the guts to go for it on 4th and 2 at the Eagles 32-yard line during the game winning drive, eschewing a 49-yard field goal attempt for a chance to tie the game. That was a huge call and more than just giving them the chance to win this game, it showed an aggressive mentality that can infect a football team. Jayon BrownBrown just keeps getting better and better. Wesley Woodyard went down with an injury early in the game which led to a heavy workload for Brown. He appeared to be making the defensive calls on the field and came up with 10 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 QB hits in an outstanding performance. LosersMalcolm Butler There shouldn’t be many losers in a game like this so I won’t linger here, but Butler was picked on today and gave up entirely too much.Derrick HenryIt was a bad day for Henry. He finished with just 24 yards rushing on 8 carries to go along with a really bad drop on a toss play that nearly resulted in a turnover. He will have better days, but this wasn’t one of them.Jonnu SmithOn a day when Mariota completed 30 passes, none of them were to a tight end. Worse Womens Ben Jones Jersey , Smith dropped what should have been a 3rd down conversion on the first drive of the game after a beautiful escape in the pocket by Mariota. Get well soon, Delanie.Darius JenningsIf the Titans had not gone on to score on that final drive, we would have been talking about Jennings’ drop of a perfect deep Mariota pass as a major “what if” moment for the game and the season potentially. However, he’s off the hook thanks to his teammates. Eagles FansThey turned out in big numbers, but went home sad, just like 13 of the last 15 opponents to enter Nissan Stadium.The Titans are starting to have a real home field advantage. WE WIN!!!Those Criticizing Derrick Henry Need to Point Elsewhere Too, for Now Based on headline alone, I’d bet some readers are already headed to the comment section to disagreeably pound their fists on the MCM round table and bemoan how much of a disappointment Derrick Henry has been through four games.Admittedly, they wouldn’t be wrong.Henry has done next to nothing statistically (on plays that count at least) and Matt LaFleur is seemingly wasting downs the majority of the time he calls for the ball to go to 22.The problem is, Henry isn’t alone in his struggles on the ground and, taking an objective view, I recommend Titans fans hit pause on their ire towards the former Heisman-winning RB.In no way is this examination intended to praise Henry.It is simply advocating for patience and for the current umbrella of blame to be opened wider.This team is in a great spot at 3-1, the defense has been stout overall, and the passing game finally showed signs of life this past Sunday.The run game is the one phase which is not trending in the right direction under this new staff and I’m sure everyone directly involved recognizes it as a weak link in need of strengthening.First thing’s first, here are some unbiased statistics to factor in.I’ve listed each of the Titans’ first four opponents’ yards per carry allowed against their other three opponents (i.e. I excluded the Titans to avoid overlap), with one small adjustment.To better filter out anomaly plays, I omitted the 2 longest and 2 shortest runs against each defense.Here’s what I wound up with:Miami DolphinsDiscarded Runs-5 yards-4 yards22 yards23 yardsAdjusted Total77 attempts279 yards3.62 ypcHouston TexansDiscarded Runs-5 yards-3 yards15 yards24 yardsAdjusted Total62 attempts221 yards3.56 ypcJacksonville JaguarsDiscarded Runs-4 yards-3 yards15 yards68 yardsAdjusted Total49 attempts130 yards2.65 ypcPhiladelphia EaglesDiscarded Runs-6-31420Adjusted Total44 attempts111 yards2.52 ypcNext, I tallied both Derrick Henry’s and Dion Lewis’ yards per carry against each opponent to date, after excluding any runs that would have been discarded from the previously calculated defensive totals had the Titans been included.Image
For instance Authentic Jayon Brown Jersey , against the Eagles I excluded both a -4 yard run and a 14 yard run from Derrick Henry’s average, because both fell on or outside of the parameters set within the first section.This way, the backs did not receive credit for runs that wouldn't have factored into the defensive totals.Derrick HenryAdjusted Totals:Dolphins: 2.6 ypcTexans: 3.47 ypc (discarded a -3 yard run)Jaguars: 3.53 ypc (discarded a -3 yard run)Eagles: 2.33 ypc (discarded a -4 yard run and a 14 yard run)Dion LewisAdjusted Totals:Dolphins: 3.86 ypc (discarded a -5 yard run and a 26 yard run)Texans: 3.46 ypc (discarded a -3 yard run)Jaguars: 3.63 ypc (discarded a -3 yard run)Eagles: 0 ypcAt first glance, Lewis appears to have been the more consistent back.I realize it runs contrary to the basis of this analysis to bring up Henry’s called-back 60-yard run in Miami (which would have been discarded even if it had counted), but I think it’s fair to at least mention it in the context of the gap between Henry and Lewis in week one.Going into that game, Lewis was viewed as a better stylistic match-up against the Dolphins defensive front.Especially when omitting outlier runs, one could have predicted the gap in efficiency in that contest.Outside of that game, though, the two have been right on par with one another.Both narrowly under-performed vs. the average against Houston and outperformed the average against Jacksonville.Lewis only received 4 carries against the Eagles (compared to Henry’s 8) and he may have brought up his average slightly if given a couple more opportunities.Very few backs, if any, are going to find consistent success against Philadelphia.Not factoring in their current season stats, Henry and Lewis have both achieved high yards per carry historically.During his first two pro seasons, Henry averaged 4.3 ypc (not adjusted in the same manner as above).Over the five seasons prior to 2018, Lewis earned 4.8 ypc (again, non-adjusted).I have no beef with anyone who suggests that Dion Lewis is a better pro running back than Derrick Henry.Lewis certainly offers more as a receiver.Henry may develop into a better pass blocker as his career elapses, but right now Lewis is more reliable in that facet too.As runners, they’ve both been successful.It’s important to recognize the reality of their respective “styles”, however.To make a baseball analogy, Henry is like a designated hitter who bats for power www.titansfootballauthentics.com , not average.Lewis is like a shortstop—he’s a more complete player who does a little bit of everything at the plate but isn’t going to go yard as often.To continue with the analogy, the pitchers they’ve faced—the opposing run defenses—have played a significant role in a shared lack of success.I also don’t think the other members of the line-up—the Titans OL—have given either many chances to knock in RBIs or advance runners.Getting back to a real sport, I think it’s reasonable to allow some more time for the offensive line to gel both as a unit and within this new blocking scheme.Matt LaFleur is still learning when and how he can get the most out of each back.There will be games for both in which they prove more valuable than the other.Strictly in terms of run plays, my proverbial scorecard would award Jacksonville and Philadelphia to Henry, Miami to Lewis, and call Houston a draw (Welcome to the wide world of cross-sports analogies!)According to Football Outsiders’ Rush Defense DVOA, the Titans have played the 6th, 3rd, 7th, and 2nd highest-rated run defenses in the league through four games.In the next quarter of the season, they’ll face the (current) 14th, 9th, 25th, and 13th highest-rated run defenses.We should get a more balanced sample with which to evaluate Henry, Lewis, the OL, and LaFleur’s run-play selection.Here’s hoping each can improve enough to make the ground game an asset for the Titans down the stretch.