total newbie looking for info

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

jackpipe45

Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:31 am

so i am looking into getting my FIRST ink.

i am wondering if there is an artist(s) that is highly sought after in the industry, that everybody knows is the gold standard.

a list of the 'top' artists that you all prefer would be mighty appreciated.

Thx

p.s

....also im in California but dont want to limit myself geographically.
Tattude
Hardcore

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:19 am

It ALL depends on the type of tattoo you want...

WAY too many TOP artists out there right now. Every one of them is great but they usually have a specialty.

You need to find out what type of tattoo you want first before asking this question.
CxCx
Verified

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:43 am

forget the "national" level crap. Just look around. More and More, there are some amazing pieces being done by unknowns in small local studios. Just keep your eyes open.
Harry the Bastard

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:15 am

I would say the TOP tattoo artist would be a alot of $$ to dish out for a first tattoo... also those artist usual do the bigger peices (half sleeves and such) not the smaller ones... just check around your area and decide wich artist you like and suits your style and you best... Cali is pretty big for tattoo alot of good places out that way...
jackpipe45

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:44 pm

good advice people..i would not be considering a 'small tattoo'...a half sleeve would be ideal, i dont want to start small and add-on to it. A half sleeve project sounds more along the lines of what im looking for. Im still looking for a theme or idea, something meaningful to me.
tkoziol

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:42 am

Before you start looking for the artist, found out what you want. And if you really want to go to a national level type artist, I'm not suuuuure, but I'd expect to wait a hefty amount of time to be seen by him. The owner of the shop I went to is backed up until the end of august with appointments, and he's not THAT well known.
jackpipe45

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:28 am

your probably right on the money about the hefty wait time ( and price tag!) ,thx 4 the advice