Tattoo flu ????

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 am

u shouldn't feel sick from getting a tattoo, theres always a chance that you could fizzy dizzy or light headed but this is usually temporary, there are different inks that people are allergic to, but usually this effects the skin like an irritation, i would seak medical attention
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:29 pm

shady08aftermath wrote:u shouldn't feel sick from getting a tattoo, theres always a chance that you could fizzy dizzy or light headed but this is usually temporary, there are different inks that people are allergic to, but usually this effects the skin like an irritation, i would seak medical attention
You've got no clue what you're talking about. Please stop.
joncloud

Sun May 24, 2009 11:24 pm

I just got a my third but largest tattoo that took about 3 hours. The very next day, I started to get flu like symptoms. It's now been 3 days and I have surely come down with something. Sore throat, cough, chills, sweats. Had a minor fever, but it went away.

I would have never connected a tattoo with getting the flu. But it seems fairly common. If it doesn't start getting better by tomorrow, I'll see a doctor.

I have heard a lot of people say that a big tattoo can weaken your immune system, and you can get sick from the trauma. Odd, perhaps. But it happened to me.
Angertank
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 8:35 am

I always go into mild shock after a tattoo, just as others here describe. I get the chills and am very fatigued.
I didn't know other folks got this, so I just thought I was a wuss...
ThisIsWhatWeDo
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 9:49 am

bobby_bananas wrote::?:
So, I googled this symptom up and found myself here. I rarely get sick in general and have never felt ill during or after getting ink...but last night, after a four hour shading and coloring session, I went to bed having this shaking cold shiver all over my body, and a warm flush feeling. Almost the kind you get when you have the flu. Im sure now that it was result of having work done. Is there a name for this or an explanation of what exactly happened? Im thinking it was a mild shock

Yeah--I think of it like this--- Tattooing, and tattoo ink in general is nottttt good for your body. In fact it's safe to say it's "bad". it's a foreign substance and is in fact quite traumatizing to your skin to be broken up like that for hours at a time.

I figure--- our bodies are able to 'tough it out' while it's going on, due to natural instinct and adrenaline that keeps us going in situations where we're being hurt---but afterward our body breaks down ---feels awful, shakes, possible fever. Like when somethinghorrible happens and you're able to soldier through the actual event but then as soon as you get home to your loved one you break down and cry, hah.

Edit:
Joncloud: that's absolutely right, because essentially a fresh tattoo is a large wound, which opens up our skin that is meant to stay closed to protect us from any number of things. Before and after i get a tattoo I make sure i'm taking tons of shit to boost my immune system so if anything does get in, I have a better chance of fighting it off..
scape
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 11:45 am

i'd like to see a chemical/physiological study done on someone both before, during, after and two-three hours after a 4 hour session.

Obviously your body produces chemicals and releases hormones that help you deal physically and mentally with the pain you are receiving. How long this lasts, i'm not sure... but eventually it wears off.

I wouldn't be surprised if your blood sugar drops suddenly once those chemicals fade away, which would explain the dizzy feelings. And if you've got an empty stomach it is usually worse.

I take a 20oz pepsi with me to every session and whenever my artist has to change machines or pull out more ink, or whatever that means a small break, i drink some. Keeps something in my stomach and keeps sugar in my system
Angertank
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm

ThisIsWhatWeDo wrote:Yeah--I think of it like this--- Tattooing, and tattoo ink in general is nottttt good for your body. In fact it's safe to say it's "bad". it's a foreign substance and is in fact quite traumatizing to your skin to be broken up like that for hours at a time.
Not sure what "not good for your body" means, really. Because none of my tattoos seem to be bad for my body once they're healed.
The fact is that any time you sit somewhere experiencing pain for upwards of three hours continuously, whether in the tattooist's chair or in the dentist's chair, is going to put a strain on your body. It's a cause of stress and stress will drain you and fatigue you.
Tattooing is traumatizing to your skin - that's literally true. It's traumatizing in a controlled way with safe instruments.
I'd be interested in seeing you support your assertion that it's "bad," though.
sadie703
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 3:31 pm

ive never felt flu-ish at all after any of my tats..maybe thirsty but thats it lol
magnumman
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 5:04 pm

scape wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if your blood sugar drops suddenly once those chemicals fade away, which would explain the dizzy feelings. And if you've got an empty stomach it is usually worse.

I take a 20oz pepsi with me to every session and whenever my artist has to change machines or pull out more ink, or whatever that means a small break, i drink some. Keeps something in my stomach and keeps sugar in my system
That's exactly what happens with the blood sugar. When my GF got her first tattoo she felt very dizzy and light-headed after only maybe 20 mins. in. The artist gave her a popsicle which helped immensely and he explained that the feeling is common due to the drop of blood sugar experienced during the tattoo process. It was suggested to me to drink something like Gatorade because it releases the sugars slowly rather than just an immediate sugar rush from soda or candy.
escapeartist
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 5:12 pm

I can see how getting jabbed many thousands of times could be a mild shock to your body but I always feel like a million bucks after a few hours of needling. I do make sure to eat a good meal before and drink water during the session though.
threesixafix
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Nubster wrote:lol @ spidey....woke up this morning and felt better except my arm is very sore and swollen which is natural. I had 2 hours alone on the inside of my arm and damn did it hurt. No pain no gain, aye? It was worth every second of it so that is all that matters. Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Wuss
:lol:
ThisIsWhatWeDo
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Angertank wrote:
ThisIsWhatWeDo wrote:Yeah--I think of it like this--- Tattooing, and tattoo ink in general is nottttt good for your body. In fact it's safe to say it's "bad". it's a foreign substance and is in fact quite traumatizing to your skin to be broken up like that for hours at a time.
Not sure what "not good for your body" means, really. Because none of my tattoos seem to be bad for my body once they're healed.
The fact is that any time you sit somewhere experiencing pain for upwards of three hours continuously, whether in the tattooist's chair or in the dentist's chair, is going to put a strain on your body. It's a cause of stress and stress will drain you and fatigue you.
Tattooing is traumatizing to your skin - that's literally true. It's traumatizing in a controlled way with safe instruments.
I'd be interested in seeing you support your assertion that it's "bad," though.
http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602a.htm
Do you know what is in tattoo inks? read up on it, not that any of us really KNOW exactly. Since it's wonderfully hidden. Some contain plastics. Plastic is bad for you. Sorry. Plastic in your body is toxic. I love tattoos and I have them but I have them knowing it's not something i'm doing good for my body but a pleasure i'm doing for 'myself'.
Angertank
Hardcore

Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 pm

ThisIsWhatWeDo wrote:http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602a.htm
Do you know what is in tattoo inks? read up on it, not that any of us really KNOW exactly. Since it's wonderfully hidden. Some contain plastics. Plastic is bad for you. Sorry. Plastic in your body is toxic. I love tattoos and I have them but I have them knowing it's not something i'm doing good for my body but a pleasure i'm doing for 'myself'.
Okay, I've met my scary quotient for the week. That article scared the heck out of me; what are we putting into our skins, and when do we find out if there are any long-term negative effects?
I'm guessing (and feel free to correct me) that new pigments/ink formulations are being developed all the time, especially with the upsurge and demand for tattooing. So, how many of the inks being used today have any sort of long-term history?
And I'll bet that since only "low-lifes" get themselves covered in tattoos, science hasn't really had any incentive to do the research...
Dethfield

Mon May 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I remember the first time i got tattooed, i was completely exhausted afterwards. Now days, i feel a little weak from fighting pain for 3-4 hours, usually take a painkiller and i just relax. Im sure other people have different reactions to getting tattooed though.
Pumpkin1LT

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I found this thread very helpful..so thanks all. I have gotten tattoos prior to this new one I am in the process of getting, but they were all 2 1/2 sessions or less. This was my first 6 hour session...started at 1pm, took one 15 min break, ended just before 8pm (and my artist only got slighttly less than 1/4 of it done)... It is a full right side piece that extends from shoulder to just below my pubic bone and down the hip to my rear..it is monstrous! I thought I was being a pretty good trooper but the last hour/45 min I got the "shakes" and we stopped. I knew I may get a fever and feel completely drained and exhausted, but the next day I was still feeling quite ill and a bit sick to my stomach. I was hoping that I was not having a bad reaction to the ink, or something worse. It was good to know that this is just a response to the intense hours of getting inked. Felt better after some Tylenol, food and OJ. Thanks for all the helpful information. I have four more 5-6 hour sessions to go before the piece is done (it will be incredible and totally worth every hour) and now I have some ammunition to give my body a better chance before the next sessions. Thnx!