Yes, another thread requesting ideas/thoughts!

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

mrgoochio

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Before I get flamed for asking your opinions and thoughts for a new idea, let me introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I'm 19 years old. A good friend of mine committed suicide a few years back before I was 18 and after some thought, I decided I wanted a memorial tattoo. I liked the idea of tattoos since I was young long before I was 'of age'. This felt like the perfect opportunity for me to get something done. When I was younger I felt that I wanted a tattoo but it would HAVE to be something SO significant I could keep it forever. Since I've grown a bit older (however little) and since I've gotten my first piece, I've come to realize that I don't mind tattoos with 'little significance' as much as I used to. I wouldn't say I'm fond of pointless tattoos or obscure/blatantly bad tattoos, but I've been opening up. To get to the point, this is the memorial tattoo I currently have on my back. I'm not a very 'big guy', I'm 5'9 130-135. Sometimes I'm up around 140 when I'm in the gym. My question is this: I'd like to cover more of my back, half, two-thirds, three-fourths maybe. Even something near a full cover. I thought about it for a while and I didn't like the idea of having multiple 'objects' done, as it would take away from ultimately the 'main' tattoo (the memorial). That being said, I'm having a hard time with what types of ideas I could work with to extend outwards/downwards (or around) to flow with my current piece. In short, I'd love some ideas/suggestions on what you guys have either seen or thought up that may work well for me. I will take your guys thoughts into consideration, think about it and of course talk with the people at my shop to see what they think.

If you feel the need to flame, go ahead and get it all out. When youre done, some good advise on-topic would be nice. Thanks to everyone in advance.

My Tattoo: (The quality of the image seems toned down which makes the tattoo look a bit faded and seems like it lacks quality etc., but in person its nice and clean.)
DaveNukem

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 pm

Add realistic background like a hill and sky and maybe even two other small crosses in the distant background.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:15 pm

if your buddy like skateboarding, get a skateboard. if he liked cars, get a car, if he liked boys, get a boy.

get my point ? if it's in his memory, get something he would have appreciated
Sphenoid
Hardcore

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:50 pm

Yeah get a background for it :D
jim1961
Hardcore

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Actually you presented yourself and questions well... :wink: Do you want to keep your whole backpiece towards one theme?
To me that tattoo is begging for "as mentioned also by Davenukem"
a sky, clouds, hills, moon, sun, ect.
Could also put other things in their that would further memorial
your buddy.
I can see where this would take some planning and thought...
Best of luck! :wink:
hanalotus
Hardcore

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Aivanne wrote:if your buddy like skateboarding, get a skateboard. if he liked cars, get a car, if he liked boys, get a boy.

get my point ? if it's in his memory, get something he would have appreciated
Agreed! Get something he would think was awesome; it should honor his life not his death. Just what I would do anyway.
mrgoochio

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:46 am

As some of you have suggested with the clouds/sky/realistic backdrop, I thought that was a great idea and was virtually the only previous idea I came up with. Well, aside from that was the idea of something to the aspect of the interior of a church somehow. Perhaps with those church window panes etc on the sides. I thought it over and it sounds interesting but could go terribly wrong as those panes might turn out bad (especially without color, and possibly quite cheesy in color :shock:)

For those that suggested putting something he was into and what not, we were kids. (Although I still am..) We played computer games and hung out. I'm all for that idea but it just comes down to the fact that we really weren't that deep. I wouldn't want something like that on my skin as I'm sure you guys understand what I mean.

That brings me back to step one, the nice sky/hills/clouds backdrop, maybe a waterfall. I do have a question though. If any of you guys are tattoo artists out there or have experience with merging a piece like my current with asian/japanese influenced art, that would be great. Reason I ask is because I've always loved the style (yes, I am asian. Chinese/Korean) For a long time now I wanted a real dragon or a large piece done involving water/waterfall, koi, possibly some of the traditional flowers etc. done. I was considering a full dragon on my front/extending to quarter/half sleeves or a full koi piece on my theighs. Anyway, to the point: I was thinking if I got the backdrop done it could involve traditional japanese style mountains with a waterfall and lake/river, with a koi either swimming upstream or something along those lines. Koi swimming upstream representing overcoming the hardships and obstacles of life. Fish is also the representation of new life in some cultures and from what I understand, the fish is used to represent Christianity/Jesus. Although I, myself, am not Christian, I see it fitting here. (As I already have Jesus on the Cross :wink:) The problem is being able to make it flow without everything looking out of place. Comments?
katamari

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:11 am

get like a big skull with flames shooting out the eyes

but really you should get like some mountains with like a sunrise
katamari

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:14 am

mrgoochio wrote:As some of you have suggested with the clouds/sky/realistic backdrop, I thought that was a great idea and was virtually the only previous idea I came up with. Well, aside from that was the idea of something to the aspect of the interior of a church somehow. Perhaps with those church window panes etc on the sides. I thought it over and it sounds interesting but could go terribly wrong as those panes might turn out bad (especially without color, and possibly quite cheesy in color :shock:)

For those that suggested putting something he was into and what not, we were kids. (Although I still am..) We played computer games and hung out. I'm all for that idea but it just comes down to the fact that we really weren't that deep. I wouldn't want something like that on my skin as I'm sure you guys understand what I mean.

That brings me back to step one, the nice sky/hills/clouds backdrop, maybe a waterfall. I do have a question though. If any of you guys are tattoo artists out there or have experience with merging a piece like my current with asian/japanese influenced art, that would be great. Reason I ask is because I've always loved the style (yes, I am asian. Chinese/Korean) For a long time now I wanted a real dragon or a large piece done involving water/waterfall, koi, possibly some of the traditional flowers etc. done. I was considering a full dragon on my front/extending to quarter/half sleeves or a full koi piece on my theighs. Anyway, to the point: I was thinking if I got the backdrop done it could involve traditional japanese style mountains with a waterfall and lake/river, with a koi either swimming upstream or something along those lines. Koi swimming upstream representing overcoming the hardships and obstacles of life. Fish is also the representation of new life in some cultures and from what I understand, the fish is used to represent Christianity/Jesus. Although I, myself, am not Christian, I see it fitting here. (As I already have Jesus on the Cross :wink:) The problem is being able to make it flow without everything looking out of place. Comments?

i dont know if you could really blend those two styles unless it was a good artist if you go to somone that isn't good then the flow of the asian style will clash with the linear style of the cross
ChillMike
Hardcore

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:19 am

Personally I'd go with the other two that were crucified with Christ. Complete the crucification of Christ with the two others. Of course this is from a pure religious opinion. I think it would look amazing.
mrgoochio

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:23 am

The shop I went to is owned by a caucasian guy that specializes in Japanese traditional art. I am fully confident in his skills. Actually, my tattoo came from Danielle and not Robert. She does a lot of pinups, crosses, non asian art etc. Shes also done some real good asian art though. Either way, I'm confident in their talent. Now that I think about it, it would be awesome to have a collaboration of both of their works since theyre the two that run the shop. I'm still concerned about the styles clashing though. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

If anyones interested in checking their work out, theyre located in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles County. This is their website:
http://www.thetattooroom.com/ They have a huge portfolio but only a fraction of their work is posted online
mrgoochio

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:24 am

ChillMike wrote:Personally I'd go with the other two that were crucified with Christ. Complete the crucification of Christ with the two others. Of course this is from a pure religious opinion. I think it would look amazing.
I'm not familiar with the other two, will you please elaborate?
katamari

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:25 am

definatly it can be pulled off but it could be hard

the asian style infused into it

p.s. I love asian/japanese tattoo art
DaveNukem

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 am

mrgoochio wrote:
ChillMike wrote:Personally I'd go with the other two that were crucified with Christ. Complete the crucification of Christ with the two others. Of course this is from a pure religious opinion. I think it would look amazing.
Jesus was crucified on a hill called "Golgotha" along with two theives.

Golgotha means "the place of a skull". Could work that in somehow. Maybe the background could be a hill that resembles a skull. That would be pretty awesome.
Sphenoid
Hardcore

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:40 pm

mrgoochio wrote:
Jesus was crucified along with two thieves, hence the 3 crosses. One of the thieves jeered at him calling him a liar because the son of god wouldn't be there being crucified, the other thief begged for forgiveness and while hanging there Jesus forgave him and told him "today we shall walk in paradise".

It was to show that no matter what your circumstance you can bring people to Christ in any place at any time.