Inked on A&E new show...

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

d3adkl0wn

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:13 pm

Anyone heard anything about this yet, starts next Wed. Commercial dosn't say much about it tho, mostly a bunch of ppl saying things like "I did it because of him" ...lol
CxCx
Verified

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:53 am

you're probably talking about TLC's new show "Miami Ink". Check the thread of the same title for info as (pros and cons) about the show.
ZenZhu

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:02 am

A&E is actually running one called "Inked." Naturally, one station can never release a show without another channel releasing some parallel to it. From what I can tell of "Inked," it follows different people and why they're getting a tattoo, what they're getting, etc. Whereas "Miami Ink" might be more the artist end, I think "Inked" will be more the customer end.
CxCx
Verified

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:00 am

weird coincidence, about 5 minutes after my post, i saw the ad for "inked". That show appears to be a traveling deal that talks to people through-out the world that have tattoos, where they get the chance to discus the who/what/when/where/why of it all. To me, I think that this show looks more interesting than "miami ink". "Inked" looks to me like similar documentaries that discovery/A&E have been running for the better part of the last decade.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:20 am

My thoughts:

If we set up a meeting with all the execs from all the media giants....just one grenade....
ZenZhu

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 am

CxCx wrote:weird coincidence
It's even weirder for me. About a month after I start thinking about a tattoo in relation to a lot of life changes and self-realizations I've had of late, these shows start popping up. :shock:
d3adkl0wn

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:15 pm

BadWolf wrote:My thoughts:

If we set up a meeting with all the execs from all the media giants....just one grenade....

i dunno, this show might be good for those wondering about getting their first tat. y'know, maybe it'll show someone saying what a stupid idea it was to get their grade 11 girlfriend's/boyfriend's name tattooed on their ass...lol
CxCx
Verified

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:08 pm

my thoughts :

A show about people with tattoos and why they chose them = fine.

A show about a tattoo studio with lots of drama giving people about 1/15 of the information needed to know in order to tattoo safely and correctly, but making it seem like "all of the ins and outs" = Potentially the worst thing to happen to tattooing in a long, long time
d3adkl0wn

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:18 pm

CxCx wrote:A show about a tattoo studio with lots of drama giving people about 1/15 of the information needed to know in order to tattoo safely and correctly, but making it seem like "all of the ins and outs" = Potentially the worst thing to happen to tattooing in a long, long time

i totally agree..

hopefully it'll be interesting tho, i mean, who wouldn't wanna hear about why someone got "i love Ski-doos" tattooed on their arm... (i've seen that, seriously!) lol
Slinger520

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:38 pm

Anybody who believes these shows will do us (the professional tattoo artist) good should be shot on site. These shows are only going to bring on the flood of wannabe tattoo artists. Just like all those damn chopper shows- now everybody wants to build and ride their own bike. "Inked" is about a bunch of fuck nuts in Vegas owned and operated by a fucking dirtbike fag. "Miami Ink" is a show with genuine tattoo artists but still caries the potential for nothing but bad results for the professionals. BadWolf....I'll help you pull the pin my brother! BOMBS AWAY!
CxCx
Verified

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 pm

my bad, i was under the assumption that inked was going to be about random people and why they got the paticular tattoos they have. If it's another on-going series concerning the workings of a tattoo studio, then you can count me out....BTW, the guys on "miami ink" are followed by "genuine artists"? the work I've seen of theirs on the commercial looks good enough, but, from the clips i've seen, they look everything but "professional" (i.e. no barrier bags on anything, a half dozen artists working out of one medium sized room, clutter everywhere, animals in the studio, ect.).
ZenZhu

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:06 pm

So much repressed aggression. :shock:
MaraJade

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:43 am

So, did anyone bother watching the premiere last night?

I thought the first half hour was so annoying. If the guy was going to sell his half anyway why couldn’t you have done a better first episode and just filled us in on all that crap?

But it got better. I kind of wanted to see some more of “This is the tattoo I’m getting and why” sort of stuff. I don’t really care about some kid goofing off in the shop and such.

It has potential. I’d watch it again.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:41 pm

3 years ago, there was exactly THREE custom motorcycle "fabrication" places within 200 miles of me. Once American chopper hit the air, every fuckin' lowlife with a cheap set of socket wrenches suddenly became a "Motorcycle fabricator". There are 10 within spitting distance of me now. And they have oversaturated the market so badly, that they are all going out of business...even the REAL professionals in that industry are hurt by it.

Now, due to this mindless fuck in Miami, the same dodunks that didn't hit it big on the "motorcycle building bandwagon" have, no doubt, placed their orders for their "tattoo kits" and will be opening studios within a couple of weeks...one on top of the other. With about as much knowledge as they had about building bikes.

How could this be to the benifit of our industry? Answer: It cannot. It will be just more dangerous people who have NOTHING to do with the industry attracting negative attention to it. Unfortunately, the law considers them "tattooists" even though they will never have anything remotely in common with a tattooist.

Will I watch the show? No. Nor will I ever buy a product any sponsor sells. I have expressed my disgust with the network, and advise everyone else to do so, also.

To top it all off, I'll bet my soul that within a week, some dumb twat will come in my studio and ask if I saw the show and want me to copy some asshole's tattoo that they saw, OR try and direct things based on what they saw that dimwit doing on television. Unfortunately people will equate him being on television with being KNOWLEDGABLE about anything other than selling out.
HairyPotthed

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:39 pm

Dude!? You guys are trippin. On miami ink "Little Vin" (Diesel) had barriers on the table and the clipcord. No bag on the gun. But did you notice him counting his pre-sterilized needles on the floor? Some of us are so anal about protecting the artform that we miss "the BIG picture". Tattooing IS "becoming" a huge industry. Laws and regs. differ so widely state to state. These guys were'nt even required to have partitions between their workstations. Maybe it's the government that is'nt regulating this industry enough for certain people here. But then again, Do we want that? If we do, then they will certainly, gladly charge us for their services.
Last edited by HairyPotthed on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.