Need Tattoo Artist's help! Validation+Foot Tattoo info

Place a request to join the Tattoo Artist/Apprentice Sections

Moderator: EvilJay

Do0k1E

Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 pm

Hello, I would please like to be validated as soon as possible and if any well more experienced tattoo artist may help me. I am about to do my first foot tattoo on my girlfriend, its a simple fruit basket. I am aware of ink spread and what not, I just want to know what tips ya'll can give me to reduce chance of spread/ruined tattoo. Certain angle, certain motion, etc etc. If anyone could help, that would be most appreciated as I may be sexually deprived if she dislikes it lol.

If anyone could IM me on AIM @ d0o0k3 or post here.

Thanks
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Thu May 31, 2007 9:13 pm

Your profile says you work out of your house. You may be aware of "ink spread" but are you aware of "DISEASE spread"? Your profile also states that you started tattooing as a hobby... I'm sorry, but tattooing is not a hobby. It is a way of life that true artists DEDICATE themselves to. But I guess you're okay with being a dirty scratcher, huh?

:roll:
Do0k1E

Thu May 31, 2007 9:23 pm

Gee thanks for the post, it was very helpful to me, I didn't come in here to get reamed at. Sorry I don't work as a full time apprentice since I own and run my sushi bar. I picked up tattooing in the pen, and learned a little ins n out from some of my friends whom ink at shops around houston. I would rather much have my gf goto a shop and have a more experience professional do her ink since I haven't done one on a foot before. But she wants one done by me just "because" it is done by me, I'm attempting to do it. The room I'm using isn't in a garage, its a full white tile, plain white room with a table, chair and stool. It is sanitized daily since it belongs to my father who generally uses the room for doing "mouth molds". *he makes platinum/gold grills for a living* Its about the cleanest place I do my ink, although its still not an official tattoo studio, its the closest I can get.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Thu May 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Your room is sanitized DAILY? And what if you have multiple people coming to you in a day? Do you hope that none of your previous customers had any infectious diseases? Unfortunately, hope does not stop the spread of Hepatitis C and HIV, among other things. How do you sterilize your equipment? An apprenticeship saves you YEARS of trying to learn. If you don't have time for an apprenticeship, then you don't have time to tattoo. You don't belong in the industry. Tattooing is not a hobby - it is something you MUST dedicate yourself to. If you're not willing to do that, why are you in it at all?
Do0k1E

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:11 am

I don't have people coming in EVERYDAY. Though I was inking almost 5-6 days a week in the pen *isn't much to do there*. I don't ink for money either. Like I said, I just do it every so often for people I know, I don't do it for business and what not like what your probably thinking, if I really wanted to, I'd go and do an apprenticeship and do a full time gig like you, but I make a whole lot more running my own business than doing that at the moment. Like I mentioned earlier, I would pay and have it done at scorpio or shaws but she wants one done by me for "sentimental" value. I just needed some suggestions on doing a foot tattoo, not sit here and argue trying to justify what I do. I'm happy if you're a full time artist, I don't know, I didn't bother running through your profile researching through like you did me. You need to get off my nuts about it, if I wanted to hear a buncha bullshit, I wouldn't have even bothered asking about it. Regardless, a reputable artist, whom is against someone doing a *tattoo at home*, would still help with a suggestion/tip if the tattoo is going to get done *at home* anyway.
BadWolf
Verified

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:52 am

Like I said, I just do it every so often for people I know, I don't do it for business
Then you aren't a tattoo artist, and have no need to be involved in a forum for tattoo artists.
We made a provision for apprentices who are learning IN A LEGIT STUDIO, but that's about as far as it will be going.
Regardless, a reputable artist, whom is against someone doing a *tattoo at home*, would still help with a suggestion/tip if the tattoo is going to get done *at home* anyway
Not sure where you came up with that idea, but I can assure you, that you are incorrect. No legit artist is going to help a scratcher. YOU are making the decision to do it, so YOU take full responsibility. We have nothing in it. It will not effect our industry, because you have nothing to do with our industry. If you were going to perform surgery on her, it would not be a doctor's responsibility to teach you anything, nor would any legit doctor do so.
Whatever the outcome, YOU ARE SOLELY TO BLAME.
Sphenoid
Hardcore

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Do0k1E wrote: Regardless, a reputable artist, whom is against someone doing a *tattoo at home*, would still help with a suggestion/tip if the tattoo is going to get done *at home* anyway.
Would they, seems that your statement is getting prooven pretty wrong.

The end result is you are not doing this tattoo *hobby* correctly. Which translates to you not doing it safely. That's the bottom line, and the difference between a scratcher and an artist.
Tbacc
Hardcore

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:14 pm

how do you sterilize your equipment? i've rarely seen a good tattoo artist come out of the pen. a lot of our clients have been your victims. i got sick of cover ups and fixer uppers. learn the right way! any asshole here can bullshit you and tell you something totally off.. and you wouldnt know any better if they did.
InkHo
Hardcore

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:37 pm

Sharpie markers are great! No sterilization required....No Pain....and unless you are doing something Seriously wrong, no risk of life threatening diseases.

But I'm guessing all the advice you get here won't prevent you from scratching a stupid fruit basket on your stupid girlfriend's stupid foot.

Did I mention that Sharpie markers come in a rainbow of vibrant colors?

Stupid fruit basket foot tattoos
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:07 pm

You'd be best off quitting what you're doing, and making your girlfriend go to a reputable artist instead (the easy way to do this is to tell her NO). Otherwise, say goodbye to your sex life. Wouldn't it just be better to keep her safe and have her be mad for a few days, rather than to have her be mad at you forever, and have to pay to get her ugly fruit basket covered up?
spideytat
Hardcore

Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:44 pm

BadWolf wrote:
Like I said, I just do it every so often for people I know, I don't do it for business
Then you aren't a tattoo artist, and have no need to be involved in a forum for tattoo artists.
We made a provision for apprentices who are learning IN A LEGIT STUDIO, but that's about as far as it will be going.
Regardless, a reputable artist, whom is against someone doing a *tattoo at home*, would still help with a suggestion/tip if the tattoo is going to get done *at home* anyway
Not sure where you came up with that idea, but I can assure you, that you are incorrect. No legit artist is going to help a scratcher. YOU are making the decision to do it, so YOU take full responsibility. We have nothing in it. It will not effect our industry, because you have nothing to do with our industry. If you were going to perform surgery on her, it would not be a doctor's responsibility to teach you anything, nor would any legit doctor do so.
Whatever the outcome, YOU ARE SOLELY TO BLAME.
i didnt know apprentices could get in, although i havent been apprenticing for long enough so i dont feel i deserve to get in yet :P and to the original poster what makes you think we are going to give you any sympothy? stop what your doing before you really fuck up bad if you havent already done so!
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Spidey!! I missed you :)
Do0k1E

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 am

Thanks guys, you guys rule!
Butterfly9319
Hardcore

Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:21 am

Do0k1E wrote:Thanks guys, you guys rule!
Aww look, dookie attempted sarcasm! Hun, sarcasm is given freeley around here, so are opinions. Deal with it.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:55 pm

Does it count as an opinion when we're right and he's a scratcher?? I think that's just truth-telling! :lol: