It is scary how much this actually happens...

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

La Fours

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 am

yep, and it reflects poorly on the tattoo artists who take the money from those people. especially if the tattoo artist knows that the characters are not what the person really wants. but its also stupid on the customers fault for not having a reliable source (a speaker/reader of chinese/japanese) telling or showing them the correct characters.
hawaiitattoo

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:20 pm

my friend went and got a tattoo of japanese writing on her upper shoulder. She wanted (desire) tattooed on her and it looked great. After a while my japanese friend met my hispanic friend and told her that her tattoo read (lust) and not desire. Good thing was she was not upset, she said to her,they are the same thing. To me it means I will not have that kind of writing tattooed on me. If I can't read it in plain English it is not going on my body.
TheTattooArtist

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:45 am

Just further proff that most people are sheep. Gotta follow the flock. I just had a a lady come in yesterday, and wanted the kanji for 'LOVE", but after looking for a bit longer, she opted for the one that says 'HARMONY" or something, because ......now get this.... it looked cooler that the one she wanted. :shock: And she kept justifing it to me by saying, she was in band back in school, and she loves the harmony found in nature. She must not have been watching National Geographic like I have! LOL! I just don't understand. :?
bobdolejr
Hardcore

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:57 pm

The problem with translations is that they are not direct, especially when translating word for word. Many cultures have different ways of describing emotions and thoughts, and especially in the english language some words can have more than one meaning which further distorts translations.

just thinking out loud

bobby d
d3adkl0wn

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:21 pm