TattooNOW Interview Series

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:49 am

Hey. Just bumbed in to this site and I thought I will spread the love a little bit :P I do tattoo interviews for www.tattoonow.com and its amazingly fun and cool. And I just love to promote great artists.

The first interview that I did was with finnish realism guru Petri Syrjälä that Marissa from needled.com was kind enough to feature in her blog at needled. Thank you Marissa! Petri is one of the best in the world when it comes to realism, and he being from Finland as well, was a obvious first interview that I was going to do. Click this to read it

Then it was time to get English Jonny underneath the spotlight. Many maybe havent heard about him, but he does posses the skill to become great. As long as he gets clients that think the same way.

Heres the interview

And just some time ago, he took best of the day at Altered Skin 07. Good job bro! And I bet this wont be the last time :) Heres the tattoo.

Thats was like his 3 realistic/semirealistic color tattoo that he has done ever. Heres the pic of his first one. Its from the movie 13 Ghosts

And that took him like 4hours! Another one that he just finished was this Cheshire Cat, that he did in 3 hours. And its not little or lacking in color.

You can catch Jonny at Blackball Tattoo in 3126 N. Jefferson Ave. • Midland MI. (989) 835-6672 www.myspace.com/lokiean

And he will be also in this years Screamfest Horror Convention tattooing along side with the likes of Sean Herman, Josh Woods and Chris Blinston. He is fast and doesnt cost an arm and a leg :)

Then it was time to talk to another Finnish boys at Legacy Tattoo in Helsinki Finland. Heres the interview.

There are many big names to come and I am almoust done with 2 of the interviews (There initial are J.S and M.G). Both of them will have questions that go deeper than you see on usual interviews. One of them has even a interview with the artists Dad too. Something that isnt done before. And when you ad questions from the artists other friends, you have something unique. I hope people like them :)

Any comments are welcome.
Last edited by PyrrhusDarwinCastello on Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:58 pm

tired of dudes talking about their boyfriends....
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Aivanne wrote:tired of dudes talking about their boyfriends....
Hehe :) You must be referring to some kinda "people who come rave about there buddies studio" kinda deal? Well, I havent ever meat personally any of the people I have done interviews with. I just like to help out Jonny so people can find out about him, because I think he is good and can only get better. And I live in Finland, he in Michigan, so its not like I know him.

But thank you for the comment, I hope you like the interviews :)
Aivanne
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:22 pm

vitu !

j/k :D

I went to finland 5 years in a row for my summer vacations, I remember a couple dirty things to say. Perse reika ? not sure about the spelling.....
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:24 pm

Haha :D

The first one is Vittu, second one Perseen reikä, but perse reikä is a word too :)

Where did you go?
Aivanne
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:25 pm

about 2 hrs north of Helsinki, a little town called Rihimaki (sp?)
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Aivanne wrote:about 2 hrs north of Helsinki, a little town called Rihimaki (sp?)
I think one of my friends used to live in Riihimäki. I havent never been in there myself. And I live in a small ton of 36000 people thats like 500km of Helsinki, so I havent beent o Helsinki in general in many years :)
Tattude
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:00 am

TattooNow has been doing shit for a long time now. Not really impressed with any of the tattoos above, now the times in which he completed them is impressive.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:33 am

Tattude wrote:TattooNow has been doing shit for a long time now. Not really impressed with any of the tattoos above, now the times in which he completed them is impressive.
Yes. Obviously there are people like Paul Acker, Bob Tyrrel who do stuff thats more detailed and better than him, but thats pretty good considering that he doesnt get to do that kinda stuff often. And I know he has hard time of getting clients because what I have heard is, that Michigan is really a tough place to be a tattoo artist. I dont know why customers are few in numbers in there?
Tattude
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am

Yeah, Michigan sucks for artists. I've known a few really good artists that lived there for years and now moved recently due to slow business. Chicago still has some business rolling through but most of the state sucks. Jimi used to work up there for years, now works in Las Vegas for H&H
He has a new born kid and now all he has to do is go to work everyday and tattoo. It's SO busy there that he tattoos from the time he comes in till the time he leaves. ALL day everyday ALL year... lol
Much better for stability!
EvilJay
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm in Detroit, and the great artist here are few and far between. The guy that did most of my stuff does real good traditional work. He has just two partners, and both of them do solid work as well. The shop is Big Top Tattoo. Other than them, I havent seen much in Detroit that I have been super impressed by. I'm looking around right now to find the right people to do a couple of other pieces. I'm happy with Garths work, but don't want everything done by one artist...
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Yeah it has to suck :( Jonny too has children so I try to help him get as much publicity as I can, so he would get a little more clients on his way. Besides money, he is a promising artist that with right clients can become pretty damn good :) Well, the spot on the Screamfest Horror Convention will hopefully help. He allready has 1 client coming to get work from him at the convention because of my hustling, so it feels really good to be able to help :)
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 pm

EvilJay wrote:I'm in Detroit, and the great artist here are few and far between. The guy that did most of my stuff does real good traditional work. He has just two partners, and both of them do solid work as well. The shop is Big Top Tattoo. Other than them, I havent seen much in Detroit that I have been super impressed by. I'm looking around right now to find the right people to do a couple of other pieces. I'm happy with Garths work, but don't want everything done by one artist...
If you want really top notch, I would recommend Jeff Zuck at

www.namebrandtattoo.com

One of the best in my eyes at what he does. Crazy style. He is propably booked far.
Tattude
Hardcore

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Jimi Litwalk lived and worked in Detroit for years...he moved to Vegas less then a year ago.
linvillegorge
Hardcore

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:45 am

Tattude wrote:TattooNow has been doing shit for a long time now. Not really impressed with any of the tattoos above, now the times in which he completed them is impressive.
Glad I'm not the only one. I mean, the tattoos are nice and well done, but certainly nothing jaw dropping. When the hell did tattooing become a race?!